Competitive Airsoft

ACA
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
23 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

There is no skill, its who can run and spam the trigger at the same time.. 

Unfortunately as dismissive as this may seem to some after spending an hr or so watching YouTube’s of competition Airsofting I do have to say it’s not far off the mark (hence my comment earlier about a level playing field) you watch any clips and you’ll see textbook examples of spamming the trigger , some of the clips there trigger hands are barely even touching the pistol grip ! 

And the old nutshell of ‘oh it’s an ultra high rate of fire set up and a super sensitive trigger !’ Sorry just a cop out so you can get round the no auto semi only rule . You can spout off about ‘trigger response’ as much as you like , the hundredths of a second it’ll shave off your shooting times will make bollox all difference to weather you hit the target or not at the ranges we shoot at , it your physical response time to seeing the target getting on target and pulling the trigger that decides wether you hit first not the speed the trigger responds to you pulling it . 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Unfortunately as dismissive as this may seem to some after spending an hr or so watching YouTube’s of competition Airsofting I do have to say it’s not far off the mark (hence my comment earlier about a level playing field) you watch any clips and you’ll see textbook examples of spamming the trigger , some of the clips there trigger hands are barely even touching the pistol grip ! 

And the old nutshell of ‘oh it’s an ultra high rate of fire set up and a super sensitive trigger !’ Sorry just a cop out so you can get round the no auto semi only rule . You can spout off about ‘trigger response’ as much as you like , the hundredths of a second it’ll shave off your shooting times will make bollox all difference to weather you hit the target or not at the ranges we shoot at , it your physical response time to seeing the target getting on target and pulling the trigger that decides wether you hit first not the speed the trigger responds to you pulling it . 

Ok point taken, I was too quick to post my comment without justification.

I did type a LONNNNG ass reply but I think I will just get dragged around in circles on this thread so will simply put that this form of competitive airsoft is not something I care for so will no longer contribute to the thread!!

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Ok point taken, I was too quick to post my comment without justification.

I did type a LONNNNG ass reply but I think I will just get dragged around in circles on this thread so will simply put that this form of competitive airsoft is not something I care for so will no longer contribute to the thread!!

Wasn’t having a dig mate I actually agree with you ! I was just commenting that more than a few WOULD see it that way hence I put ‘it may seem dismissive’ when I don’t think it was bud .

👍

Personally I would enjoy a 'Targets' game against the clock, you know , where you have to clear a building or a street in which targets pop up. Points for hitting the bad guys and points off for hitting civilians. Limit it to semi only, maybe just pistols and shotties. It could be played singly or as a team .That would be fun and competitive , normal speedsoft not for me, it just doesn't appeal .Good luck whatever direction you take it.

24 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Personally I would enjoy a 'Targets' game against the clock, you know , where you have to clear a building or a street in which targets pop up. Points for hitting the bad guys and points off for hitting civilians. Limit it to semi only, maybe just pistols and shotties. It could be played singly or as a team .That would be fun and competitive , normal speedsoft not for me, it just doesn't appeal .Good luck whatever direction you take it.

I play variations on this theme most Tuesdays, it’s generally called Practical Pistol/Rifle etc

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

I play variations on this theme most Tuesdays, it’s generally called Practical Pistol/Rifle etc

I do like practical pistol/rifle shoots but I don’t like the 3-gun comp ones , those I feel the speed you do it in is more important than anything else , you’ve usually got large static targets that you can see all of from the get go and it’s just go as fast as you can with the three guns to hit the targets , no judgment needed just bang bang bang finish ! Me personally I much prefer something where you have a split second to decide “do I fire or not ?” .

• Supporters
34 minutes ago, jcheeseright said:

as soon as 'winning' matters, hit taking doesn't. 

Competition paintball events have a staggeringly high marshal:player ratio because cheating is so rife, imagine what that would look like in airsoft where there's no mark. 

That was a point I made to one of the people involved. I think the general idea if it takes off is all players and teams to be registered and cheating will be rewarded by disqualification and even outright bans. The honour side is a big thing to the guys involved.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

cheating will be rewarded by disqualification and even outright bans.

That's the stick, but I'd strongly advocate for having a carrot of a fair play award as well, based on teams rating each other on hit taking, not overkilling, and avoiding dickishness.

Training day.  Note the hair trigger HPA which rather makes a mockery of it being semi-auto.

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

That's the stick, but I'd strongly advocate for having a carrot of a fair play award as well, based on teams rating each other on hit taking, not overkilling, and avoiding dickishness.

Training day.  Note the hair trigger HPA which rather makes a mockery of it being semi-auto.

Played against a lot of these guys and the overshooting is actually a none issue. Although it looks like they are spamming that is generally a form of suppression when on target they come off the trigger quick. Never taken more than 2 or 3 shots off any of them and generally it is 1. 

There is far more tactics than it seems to the way they play and generally I have found them better and fairer players than most other groups. I suppose the difference is I see lots of different people every week and prefer to find out the facts before I judge instead of just assuming.

• Supporters
39 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Note the hair trigger HPA which rather makes a mockery of it being semi-auto.

That sentence stands on its own.  I'd just go ahead and allow rate-limited full auto, otherwise there's going to be an aspect of pay-to-win.

For clarity: "an aspect" doesn't mean, and is not meant to imply, that it'll be the only or even the major factor.

• Supporters
21 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

That sentence stands on its own.  I'd just go ahead and allow rate-limited full auto, otherwise there's going to be an aspect of pay-to-win.

For clarity: "an aspect" doesn't mean, and is not meant to imply, that it'll be the only or even the major factor.

Less control over full auto, although the trigger spamming looks random it is actually quite controlled for the most part. Sure some will take the piss human nature and some of the guys involved had a rocky start and had to learn how to moderate their play but they are learning and trying.

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Agree with you even more on what this game is after watching the film , the chap filming has a higher rate of fire on semi due to the obvious work done on his gun and the way he’s spamming the trigger (when your hand is barely on the grip , your ‘trigger’ finger is extended and your operating the trigger with your middle finger which is the finger you can flex the fastest of the 4 , it’s spamming the trigger !) than most new ‘stock’ AEG’s do as standard . 

As I said in my very first post on this thread if anyone does want to play like this then crack on and enjoy it BUT please don’t try and make out it’s any thing it’s not , there’s no tactics to it at all bar run as fast as you can , spam the trigger as fast as you can so you can get across the enclosure as fast as you can and be first to touch the other side of the gamezone .

• Supporters
39 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Agree with you even more on what this game is after watching the film , the chap filming has a higher rate of fire on semi due to the obvious work done on his gun and the way he’s spamming the trigger (when your hand is barely on the grip , your ‘trigger’ finger is extended and your operating the trigger with your middle finger which is the finger you can flex the fastest of the 4 , it’s spamming the trigger !) than most new ‘stock’ AEG’s do as standard . 

As I said in my very first post on this thread if anyone does want to play like this then crack on and enjoy it BUT please don’t try and make out it’s any thing it’s not , there’s no tactics to it at all bar run as fast as you can , spam the trigger as fast as you can so you can get across the enclosure as fast as you can and be first to touch the other side of the gamezone .

But isnt moving forward under covering fire a military tactic?

These guys plan how they move forward and communicate and adjust throughout the match. Far more team work and tactics than a normal skirmish.

21 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

But isnt moving forward under covering fire a military tactic?

These guys plan how they move forward and communicate and adjust throughout the match. Far more team work and tactics than a normal skirmish.

Speak for yourself. We use team comms and tactics to great results. We have fun and sometimes we win, mostly we take the piss out of each other.

Maybe you need team mates rather than a bunch of guys who happen to be wearing the same colour arm band?

• Supporters

Very true that is an excepted tactic but to be honest only time I could see any in the chaps film that you could say was coving fire I think was incidental to him engaging the other team and not direct and planned cover fire . 

Message to all:

Having started the post I have put together an Airsoft specific list of questions (a survey/ Market research if you will) which I would appreciate you all spending time to answer. - Send me any other questions you want adding for my review.

I think this is the first-ever survey in Airsoft & as a potential site owner, the intention is to use the answers to better understand players requirements from the get-go, such as site, size & layout, gameplay & styles, rules, Pro's & Con's and list goes on.

I plan to send the survey out to as many Airsoft players, game sites, Ytubers, FB Groups etc to obtain as much feedback as possible but you will be the first.

Please let me know how best to send the questions.

Thanks,

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Very true that is an excepted tactic but to be honest only time I could see any in the chaps film that you could say was coving fire I think was incidental to him engaging the other team and not direct and planned cover fire . 

That was only their second game I think. They are still learning and fine tuning how it all works best, it is all in its infancy at the moment. One thing that does get discussed is a ways of controlling fire rates and spamming. 

I personally think that limiting it and have a more pick your shot scenario is a better idea with maybe only back players who provide the cover allowed to do it while the rushers are far more limited. 

It isn't perfect but there is potential.

2 hours ago, Duff said:

Speak for yourself. We use team comms and tactics to great results. We have fun and sometimes we win, mostly we take the piss out of each other.

Maybe you need team mates rather than a bunch of guys who happen to be wearing the same colour arm band?

How did this turn into something about me? It was a comment about skirmish days in general. 

I use comms all the time for marshalling and playing and have plenty of teamates but there is a huge difference in a few guys out of 50 trying to work together and a whole team trying to perform as a unit.

3 hours ago, CiderPunk said:

Why not just limit everyone to 1 mid cap per 4min game? that'd stop the spamming

I’ve found this thread and the opinions of all very interesting, and have been intending to give my points of views as a diverse paintballer

(I marked my 10th anniversary in Paintball competing for the first time ever in the 7 man at CPPS, the national UK tournament - which completed me playing every style of paintball

in a decade)

Paint restrictions is something that was brought into “international” rules in recent years - the M500 format 

This being a limit of (approx) 500 balls per player, rather than counting it equated to going on field with a hopper plus two standard pods.  Teams are permitted to walk on field and then swap pods — generally two players sprint on ahead as far as they can with minimum shooting hoping for glory (only shoot less than a hopper), two players follow behind trying to eliminate the opposition but ready to fill in if their front guy is knocked out (so they carry a good amount of pods to lay down some support), the fifth sits right at the back shooting constant lines of paint pouring pods into their hopper - denying movement to the opposition and maybe getting lucky kills

If everyone is spraying unlimited shots then boring games run to time, if restricted then you have to balance quantities of fire but running out of shots before time is up.

Balance tactics between going on the offensive to win, or digging in and slow fire rates to defend yourself forcing the opposition to make a mistake

52 minutes ago, ACA said:

Message to all:

Having started the post I have put together an Airsoft specific list of questions (a survey/ Market research if you will) which I would appreciate you all spending time to answer. - Send me any other questions you want adding for my review.

I think this is the first-ever survey in Airsoft & as a potential site owner, the intention is to use the answers to better understand players requirements from the get-go, such as site, size & layout, gameplay & styles, rules, Pro's & Con's and list goes on.

I plan to send the survey out to as many Airsoft players, game sites, Ytubers, FB Groups etc to obtain as much feedback as possible but you will be the first.

Please let me know how best to send the questions.

Thanks,

Survey monkey is the most common one I’ve seen in use - and it’s free

Its always worthwhile posting up a question list to get people’s opinions on the range of questions and answers

Wasn't intended as any sort of personal attack? Maybe it's the way you construct your posts? Everything seems to be very much in your opinion. In my opinion tactics have a place if you're clear about what you want or need in terms of positioning and information from your team. Speedsoft seems too fast and high octane to have any sort of tactics like that, unless if course it's a pre-formed team and not just other players who happen to be on your team, hence the arm band comment.

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, ACA said:

Having started the post I have put together an Airsoft specific list of questions (a survey/ Market research if you will) ...

First-ever wide distribution survey, possibly.  The forum does get surveys and market reseach as school projects university student research, new site owner questionnaire, player survey, market research.  So get someone to quality control the questions that you ask and to ensure they capture relevant information to make any survey useful. 

Type “survey” into search and have a look at previous ones.

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, Duff said:

Wasn't intended as any sort of personal attack? Maybe it's the way you construct your posts? Everything seems to be very much in your opinion. In my opinion tactics have a place if you're clear about what you want or need in terms of positioning and information from your team. Speedsoft seems too fast and high octane to have any sort of tactics like that, unless if course it's a pre-formed team and not just other players who happen to be on your team, hence the arm band comment.

No it was pretty obvious where you were trying to go lol.

No part of my post had even the slightest personal opinion or any mention of me I was talking about their game.

Archived