Competitive Airsoft

ACA
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

Just wanted to know, what the members thought of competitive (££££££) gameplay. I.e. the league! what happened to that? Is there more interest in that type of (paintball fields with inflatable bunkers) gameplay or does it come back to the cheaters?

I ask simply because I am a prospective Speedsoft field owner.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Ahoy and welcome.

Oh, this defunct thread?

Not really my thing, but if you do go ahead with a competitive team based site, I'd suggest having and emphasising a sportsmanship rating system along the lines of ultimate frisbee's spirit scoring system in order to recognise and laud fair play as well as win-at-any-cost.

I've not looked into it as its not my thing but I would guess that 'honour based scoring' and 'competitive games' are not concepts that go together well.

The most annoying people I've come across playing airsoft are the competitive ones who REALLY want to win rather than just have fun.

'Marking' is the only thing which gives paintball an edge in gameplay.

Even with that there's still a cheating problem for competitions.

• Supporters

Me personally I can’t think of anything worse (neither do I know anyone who I think would like it) than ‘speedball’ type games but if anyone does want to do it crack on just don’t expect me or any regulars I know to help or support it , just not for me .

I think that cheaters are a huge part of the issue of making Airsoft a proper competitive sport but there are also the issues of how angry people can get at Airsoft anyway let alone where the wins actually matter which will make it less fun.

I think if you want to do it then all power to you but I don't think it will be easy and won't be everyone's cup of tea.

For me airsoft is supposed to be fun. Competition makes it serious, fun and serious do not mix well especially in an honour based game like airsoft.

I say let people use two tones, dress as clowns, use rubber chickens, flip flops and dildos as knives and take it for what it is, grown men with toy guns. 

If you want the realism and seriousness then milsims and immersion games are where it’s at.   By adding formal competition and accolades will bring out the worst in people who would rather win at other people’s expense and at the expense of the fun factor. 

• Supporters

There is a place for it definitely. 

The speedsoft side of the game is definitely growing and there is already a few groups setting up proper events.

As for cheaters you will get them in any game or sport as being a twat is not specific to what you play.  Most speedsofters I have come across generally play very fair and can honestly say never had a single incident where on has not called a hit in any way that can construed as malicious.

Go for it as it has the potential to be to be a great addition to the game.

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

there is already a few groups setting up proper events

Got any more info on that?  It might help the OP.

https://www.facebook.com/speedqbuk/ appears to be a damp squib (if it's not, they're hiding it well) and their website is perpetually coming soon (or come and gone).

The arena stuff looks like fun, to be fair.  Geezers crawling through bushes complaining about our bum knees don't have a monopoly on pewing. [UPDATE] Jinx!  Did we find that video at the same time? ;)

I just do not see the point. 

There is no skill, its who can run and spam the trigger at the same time.

I can see the point in a competitive style game for small squad based games. ie Who can take the village, or capture the VIP the quickest with the least casualties using the least ammo or stealthy style gameplay etc.. 

There's tactics to it i'm sure, at indoors events these guys dive and slide along the floor and around corners so there's definitely more to it than just hammering the trigger. games are extremely short so there's no time to get in a stalemate pewpewing at each other down an alley; they're always looking to outmanoeuvre the other team. and imo that's a skill :)

I'm way too old for that kinda crap but it has an appeal

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

I just do not see the point. 

There is no skill, its who can run and spam the trigger at the same time.

I can see the point in a competitive style game for small squad based games. ie Who can take the village, or capture the VIP the quickest with the least casualties using the least ammo or stealthy style gameplay etc.. 

No there is a lot of skill. It plays basically the same as speedball, short rounds fast gameplay. 

It is all about how ferocious you can attack and getting your flanking players round the sides. It does promote teamwork and the ability to move fast and hit what you are aiming at takes a lot more skill than waiting for someone to wonder into your sights.

I think there is more skill in the tactical side of it though. 

I get the aggressive side of the attacks, and the teamwork to flank and outmaneuver the enemy team but I think the hail of bbs takes away from it quite a lot. 

Personally I would rate a player who was more tactical with less ammo other than a hpa barrel of bbs on back trigger spammer but thats just me!

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Albiscuit said:

I think there is more skill in the tactical side of it though. 

I get the aggressive side of the attacks, and the teamwork to flank and outmaneuver the enemy team but I think the hail of bbs takes away from it quite a lot. 

Personally I would rate a player who was more tactical with less ammo other than a hpa barrel of bbs on back trigger spammer but thats just me!

With you 100% mate after looking these sort of games up on YouTube I think it has the tacticality of carpet bombing .😉

• Supporters

Having watched that video in full now, there is tactics and skill involved, just a specific set of each

You have to aim and hit, you have to move to where you can get those hits, and you'll play more effectively if you coordinate those moves versus a team of random rushers.  One chap even made the observation that being hit teaches you a lesson that you can immediately apply in the next game.

On sportsmanship and cheating, I take the point that because the turnaround is so quick, players might be more inclined to call hits because why not, you'll be back in a few minutes anyway, rather than slogging to respawn.

A couple of notes of <Buzz Killington> though.

if it takes off, it's going to become dominated by HPA (or tricked out DSG) owners finger-drumming hair triggers and spamming so fast that they might as well be running full auto.  Getting monstered by teams who have bought the ability to put many more BBs into the air might not be the most fun experience for new players.

Also, the moment you bring real £££ or a ranking system into it, you've created an incentive to turn on God Mode.  I'd hate to even have the suspicion of that on the field, and it would need robust marshalling - including cracking down hard and fast on cheat-calling as well as cheating - to nip it in the bud.

But yes, having seen what we're talking about, I'd be up for trying it.

All good points, but if all that turns up and the most are the players with the trick hi capas, HPAs etc etc then from a business perspective then the site will go with the majority.

if it’s the other way round then so be it.

Im all for competitive airsoft like SpeedQB and I wish I had a site/league near me.

There is nothing to say you can't do both competitive and 'fun' casual styles.

Bring it on!

Dunno for me indoor CQB has gotton stale. Layouts rarely change and even opening and closing off areas only ever changes the access points. After a summer of woodland sites the thought of going back indoors to something where chavs are sliding around on their knees wearing Die i4's and spaffing their trigger fingers like they they'd just pulled at the high school end of year dance drains my enthusiasm for indoor airsoft on any competitive level.

I like to have the type of objectives that requires something other than pew pew the opposite team until their spawns run out.

LOL

42 minutes ago, Duff said:

Dunno for me indoor CQB has gotton stale. Layouts rarely change and even opening and closing off areas only ever changes the access points. After a summer of woodland sites the thought of going back indoors to something where chavs are sliding around on their knees wearing Die i4's and spaffing their trigger fingers like they they'd just pulled at the high school end of year dance drains my enthusiasm for indoor airsoft on any competitive level.

I like to have the type of objectives that requires something other than pew pew the opposite team until their spawns run out.

I was actually going down the line of outside field based with objectives other than simply slay everybody at all cost and get the flag or push a button.

Rather than taking CQB game style to a paintball field, have a larger field for argument sake a full size football pitch with a combination of inflatables and more CQB walls, structures, oil drums etc.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Duff said:

where chavs are sliding around on their knees wearing Die i4's and spaffing their trigger fingers

Very few speedsofters are chavs. I know a lot and most are generally are university students or have a decent career. Thousands of pounds worth of hpa kit and dye masks and clothes are out of the reach of your average dolie dope smoking chav. I wear an i4 and have been known to knee slide often but am I chav? No I am far from it, don't label people you obviously don't know.

1 hour ago, clumpyedge said:

If i wanted to wear lycra id start cycling or join a german industrial metal sex club... or start shagging men

I get that I take the piss out of the ones I know for looking like tactical elves but in all fairness it works well for their requirments. Had a hot day a month or so back and everyone was struggling but these guys with their light loadouts were still going strong. Heard a lot of players making shitty comments about how they dressed that day but heard a lot of speedsofters complimenting the loadouts of the more military minded players. Just food for thought.

Forgive my ignorance but was there ever a registered Airsoft players, sites & even suppliers debate on the Paintball field based speedsoft games to get all views for its uptake, rules, field layouts & sizes etc or has it been a whim of a few?

Just now, ImTriggerHappy said:

Very few speedsofters are chavs. I know a lot and most are generally are university students or have a decent career. Thousands of pounds worth of hpa kit and dye masks and clothes are out of the reach of your average dolie dope smoking chav. I wear an i4 and have been known to knee slide often but am I chav? No I am far from it, don't label people you obviously don't know.

I get that I take the piss out of the ones I know for looming like tactical elves but in all fairness it works well for their requirments. Had a hot day a month or so back and everyone was struggling but these guys with their light loadouts were still going strong. Heard a lot of players making shitty comments about how they dressed that day but heard a lot of speedsofters complimenting the loadouts of the more military minded players. Just food for thought.

Was more a joke, obviously taken wrong..

I've played many a hot day with airsofters deciding its an awesome time to wear full rigs etc and im just running a tiny chest rig with just mags... got the same sort of comments but meh everyone can do what they want, wear what they want etc etc as long as they play fair who gives a shit

Archived