Problem skipping pages

E21A
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I’m getting a problem every now and again. When I try to skip pages of a thread or jump the the last page I’m getting the below message. 

There seems seems to be no pattern to it at all. Viewing on an iPhone if that makes any difference. 

75327E74-130F-4B8B-9205-A9A2DD75BF19.png

I had this yesterday on my PC, using latest Firefox browser.

Yesterday, did a search for DIY, to find the DIY thread, it opened the first page, used the option to jump to the last page and got that error.

I've seen it a few times before, but it soon went away so didn't report it.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

I've been having this issue a lot recently - but never on AF-UK. Not sure what causes it. 

• Root Admin

502 basically means the server is pooping itself and hasn't the resources to server the page. Cloudflare - a caching/protection tool then kicks in to show you a 'saved' version.

What times is this happening at? Server backs up in the early hours of the morning and will have a high frequency of 502s around that time for up to 45 minutes.

Again if anyone can provide good timings I can check what traffic we were getting at least.

• Root Admin

It does indeed seem as though this is simply a load issue. Likely down to a spike in traffic after ZeroIn's downtime. I'm not going to upgrade the server just yet, but we don't currently run a proper caching system (last time we did back in February/March it kept corrupting the theme/template and breaking the site once a week). I'm going to install a different cache (started this last night) and see how it goes.

Usually one of the biggest resource hogs - and something that even a proper cache won't fix - is crunching of images that're uploaded to the classifieds. If a lot go through at a time this can cause issues as the server resizes and properly compresses images (and in typically far larger volumes than in a single post). This isn't a case of the size of the images being a problem, but rather the fact that we have an additionally aggressive level of compression now to allow for more pictures in these listings and on the site in general (without being worried about using up too much disk space).

Archived