Airsoft site not correctly adding players to database

Callyourhits
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So it has come to light that a site I used to play at has been doing something dodgy. 

The site : Airsoft Billericay

The owner : Jim (the only one there that can add people) 

It would appear that even though they are acting to add players to the database they are in fact not. 

Evidenced by myself who has been witness to three players showing I.D and meeting all criteria and being told that they were now in possession of a valid defence. 

But after a few weeks passed and failed orders on rifs it has become apparent that they were not added. 

It is my belief that this is to trick players back to a full day of airsoft for the sites monetary gain. 

I wouldn't normally call someone out but I believe this site has done this before and will probably keep doing it unless someone steps in. 

Some examples of how unprofessional they are, 

Screenshot_20180903_192712.thumb.jpg.c008bf5b9bfb3737e104d090bcd53fa2.jpg

Then magically with the threat of the police... 

Screenshot_20180903_192750.jpg.01e9b3a5c410696288c1a248e88c6a28.jpg

Aviod this place for your own good. 

• Supporters

Wow! Scummy as fuck if that's indeed what's happened. I'll certainly make a note not to visit there. 

If true would this amount to fraud? I'm not really familiar with the law or whether it would even apply in this context.

*Then again UKARA have been having lots of issues with their database recently so the owner of the site could have had issues unbeknownst to him. 

2 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Wow! Scummy as fuck if that's indeed what's happened. I'll certainly make a note not to visit there. 

If true would this perhaps amount to fraud? I'm not really familiar with the law or whether it would even apply here.

I can't fault the players there, a real nice mix of young and old, experienced and green. But the staff..thats a different story. Marshalls can't ever seem to decide on game rules between themselves and now to top it off it does indeed seem some level of fraud is apparent. I was just as shocked believe me. 

I don't know the details of the other examples, but reading that message, I think it's open to interpretation, he doesn't say you have to play, but tbh unless you are local, you aren't going to turn up onsite and not play.

Cheers

G

• Supporters
46 minutes ago, Callyourhits said:

So it has come to light that a site I used to play at has been doing something dodgy. 

The site : Airsoft Billericay

The owner : Jim (the only one there that can add people) 

It would appear that even though they are acting to add players to the database they are in fact not. 

Evidenced by myself who has been witness to three players showing I.D and meeting all criteria and being told that they were now in possession of a valid defence. 

But after a few weeks passed and failed orders on rifs it has become apparent that they were not added. 

It is my belief that this is to trick players back to a full day of airsoft for the sites monetary gain. 

I wouldn't normally call someone out but I believe this site has done this before and will probably keep doing it unless someone steps in. 

Some examples of how unprofessional they are, 

Screenshot_20180903_192712.thumb.jpg.c008bf5b9bfb3737e104d090bcd53fa2.jpg

Then magically with the threat of the police... 

Screenshot_20180903_192750.jpg.01e9b3a5c410696288c1a248e88c6a28.jpg

Aviod this place for your own good. 

Do you mean skirmish Billericay? 

12 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Do you mean skirmish Billericay? 

Yes 

Aka Skirmish Airsoft Billericay 

Aka Airsoft Billericay 

23 minutes ago, MisterG said:

I don't know the details of the other examples, but reading that message, I think it's open to interpretation, he doesn't say you have to play, but tbh unless you are local, you aren't going to turn up onsite and not play.

Cheers

G

Player registration is only available during the lunch break. 

It's not the kind of site you'd want to walk onto from the street. Hard to explain but anyone that's been there knows it's a bit of a mish mash of things. Airsoft and paintball site/ hardcore rubble dump/ caravan site. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Gepard said:

Then again UKARA have been having lots of issues with their database recently so the owner of the site could have had issues unbeknownst to him

I'd suspect so.  They can't force UKARA to accept their codes, and even if whatever interface they're using is telling them that the database has been updated, it doesn't make it a fact.

What the players should have received is an email from ukara dot no dot reply at-symbol gmail.com (wow such professional, very trustworthy) confirming their number.  If they haven't received that, they're going to have to chase the site up.

Thing is, retailers can contact the game site using the site specific XYZ12345 code and verify the purchaser info with that site.  UKARA is just a convenience for them.  They want to sell RIFs, and if there's a problem with things not being added to UKARA, then it's retailers (and only retailers since they bankroll it) that can put pressure on UKARA to sort it out.

I'm not sure why you'd leap to the conclusion that the site is at fault, or that they're doing anything "dodgy".  Why wouldn't they submit those player details to UKARA if they could do so?  It doesn't cost them anything, other than their time.

25 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I'd suspect so.  They can't force UKARA to accept their codes, and even if whatever interface they're using is telling them that the database has been updated, it doesn't make it a fact.

What the players should have received is an email from ukara dot no dot reply at-symbol gmail.com (wow such professional, very trustworthy) confirming their number.  If they haven't received that, they're going to have to chase the site up.

Thing is, retailers can contact the game site using the site specific XYZ12345 code and verify the purchaser info with that site.  UKARA is just a convenience for them.  They want to sell RIFs, and if there's a problem with things not being added to UKARA, then it's retailers (and only retailers since they bankroll it) that can put pressure on UKARA to sort it out.

I'm not sure why you'd leap to the conclusion that the site is at fault, or that they're doing anything "dodgy".  Why wouldn't they submit those player details to UKARA if they could do so?  It doesn't cost them anything, other than their time.

Because the longer they can keep you coming back the more money they make? Pretty simple really. 

I never said the method to access or update ukara is without faults. But I didn't hear anyone else saying the same from different sites? Which is what you'd expect right? If there was a wider problem. I can only pass on what I've seen first hand I can't force anyone here to believe anything. 

Also are registered game sites not also paying for access? 

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Callyourhits said:

Also are registered game sites not also paying for access? 

My understanding is that it's only retailers that are funding the United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association.

Fair point about being able to continue to charge for rentals. I just find it unfathomable why anyone would rent again, rather than chasing the site up to ensure that they were actually on the UKARA database.

Have these players contacted UKARA to find out what's going on?  It is possible that the site has been removed from the approved skirmish sites, although it's still showing as one on the ukara.org.uk site.

Sorry if it seems that I'm #VictimBlaming, I'm just interested in how to trouble-shoot and solve this problem, particularly if it happens elsewhere.  The mechanics of the UKARA system are pretty opaque from the players' point of view.

Archived