Best shooting glasses

SCAR_Jester
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Plenty of little tidbits on various glasses around but nothing too concrete or up to date.
I'm looking for any info anyone has on their experiences with any shooting glasses and their performance.

I know the biggest contenders with ease of availability are the Revision Sawfly's, ESS ICE, ESS Crossbow (& suppressors) and Wiley X Sabre, so I would appreciate any thoughts on these?
Other question would be as to how well your glasses work with ear protection in terms of comfort?

Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA

• Supporters

I own ESS ICE and they're ace. They work fine in conjunction with helmet/comms.

I have Wiley X Sabres, i find them very comfortable.

Pros:

Very strong ( they meet MIL-PRF-31013 ballistic standard )

Able to take RX inserts (which for glasses wearers like me is great)

Fit well regardless of head wear (helmet or cap)

They have pretty thin arms and work o.k with a headset (i use a COMTAC II on my helmet set up, not as thin on the arms as Oakley Mframes)

Cons:

Not full seal around the eyes

Reasonably expensive (i have seen them for around £30 a pair, without RX inserts and a single colour lens. Not sure if they were genuine or a copy)

HTH

alan

2 hours ago, Guyver1 said:

I have Wiley X Sabres, i find them very comfortable.

Pros:

Very strong ( they meet MIL-PRF-31013 ballistic standard )

Able to take RX inserts (which for glasses wearers like me is great)

Fit well regardless of head wear (helmet or cap)

They have pretty thin arms and work o.k with a headset (i use a COMTAC II on my helmet set up, not as thin on the arms as Oakley Mframes)

Cons:

Not full seal around the eyes

Reasonably expensive (i have seen them for around £30 a pair, without RX inserts and a single colour lens. Not sure if they were genuine or a copy)

HTH

alan

Thanks for the reply, am I right in saying though that you can remove the arms in favour of a strap?

This could help with wearing with comms possibly.

25 minutes ago, SCAR_Jester said:

Thanks for the reply, am I right in saying though that you can remove the arms in favour of a strap?

This could help with wearing with comms possibly. 

Yeah,the set i bought had 2 lenses and a strap. the arms can come off an be replaced with the elasticated strap.

I tried the strap but never got on with it as I am used to wearing glasses.

• Supporters

Unfortunately mate you’ve just asked one of the top three ‘how long is a piece of string’ questions in Airsoft ! 😳

as long as there safety rated your looking at a very subjective topic and you’ll never really tie down which are the best glasses to get .

Player A will say his sawfly’s are THE best and your a fool to wear anything else

AND THEN player B will say his Bolle trackers from EBay are THE best and your a fool to wear anything else ! 🤦‍♂️

I’d recommend talking to the players you regularly talk to at your home site , ask them what they use and see if you can try them on as no matter how expensive a pair of glasses cost OR what ‘special farces unit Delta/seal team 6&1/2’ use them if there not comfortable to wear then there no good at all and the pair of £11 ones you picked up off fleabay feel comfortable are the ones for you ! 👍

me personally I’ve always worn bolle trackers until recently I bought a pair of Wiley sabres for not a lot and I’ve now got my new favorite glasses . 😁 

4 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Unfortunately mate you’ve just asked one of the top three ‘how long is a piece of string’ questions in Airsoft !

I know man, it has become very aparant!

I have a pair of Revision Sawfly's that I absolutely love. I had Revision Bullet Ants before (the goggles( which were also very good. 

The reason I changed to glasses was simply because the only goggles I could get to not steam up, didn't sit right with a hat. 

The Sawfly's rarely steam up, fit perfect with a hat and came with the 3 different lenses which is ideal for me. I have the smaller sized frames, which fit me perfectly, to the point there is only a few mm around them from my face, so near enough full seal without actually having goggles. 

What do you mean with ear protection? I occasionally wear earplugs, they obviously fit fine with any glasses.... If you are looking for comfort when wearing the ear defender things, then I don't see the sawflys being a problem. The legs are very soft and bend, as well as relativly thin, so won't create much added pressure from the cups of the ear defenders.  

• Moderators

i have sawslies and they steam up just to annoy me when i put them on, goggles (inc Ants) seem better, tbh i feel safer in CQB with goggles on these days

anyway, did anyone read the part in AI about shooting glasses and insurance.... page 60.....after the Eotech part where my wife spotted the prices and said 'dont you even think about it' :lol::lol:

anyway they seem to only talk about ESS Crossbow and Revision Sawfly TX....ESS just shading it a little....

21 hours ago, Druid799 said:

😳

I’d recommend talking to the players you regularly talk to at your home site , ask them what they use and see if you can try them on as no matter how expensive a pair of glasses cost OR what ‘special farces unit Delta/seal team 6&1/2’ use them if there not comfortable to wear then there no good at all and the pair of £11 ones you picked up off fleabay feel comfortable are the ones for you ! 👍

😁

This!

I was interested in some of the Revision Sawflys to replace my 'well past it' ESS Ice. Skirmished with a buddy the other week who wore his issued ones, and there was quite a large gap at the sides where your cheek is, so much so it's completely put me off buying a set

On 04/09/2018 at 09:37, Fizzy said:

This!

I was interested in some of the Revision Sawflys to replace my 'well past it' ESS Ice. Skirmished with a buddy the other week who wore his issued ones, and there was quite a large gap at the sides where your cheek is, so much so it's completely put me off buying a set

Was the gap at the front or side of your cheek? 

And would you describe your head as average or large? (Sorry gotta know!).

• Moderators

so does the AI article about insurance not worry you then?. has anyone enquired?

im just curious now as im a google wearer,  im not up on the insurance side, but where i play we sign a disclaimer, and are told its advisable to wear full face pro etc. in the CQB area for obvious reasons. Marshalls check that eye pro fits correctly......wonder how long it will be if a 40mike is used somewhere, someone lets it off by accident (we all know there are idiots out there and in the heat of battle things happen.....) at someone with not good fitted glasses.....dread to think....

sorry ruining your glasses day talk!  :lol:

but would hate to hear of an injury to anyone here.....

have you ever tried any antifog stuff, i find fogtech worked fine on my goggles and on my glasses when i wore them....just a bit cautious when i did in a CQB game once so went back to goggles:lol:

• Moderators

yeah ive been hit before between google and face mask as well as top of nose, both drew blood....i agree other parts hurt more!!

i found with the wipes it kinda stopped the 'drizzle' effect in the middle of my vision but more to the sides so was able to stay in game longer

13 minutes ago, djben9 said:

so does the AI article about insurance not worry you then?

You mentioned it but didn’t link any quote or some such, not everyone has AI lying around.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, SCAR_Jester said:

Was the gap at the front or side of your cheek? 

And would you describe your head as average or large? (Sorry gotta know!).

The gap was around the sides of the lens where it covers the cheek. I take a large sized crash helmet, so...

Guest burnleyfc

i use glasses by EDGE and they are lovely i like the dragon fire variants as if its a miserable day everything looks sunny lol.

But  seriously the coverage of eyes is amazing very little gaps and great for sniper usage as they are almost following the natural curvature of the skull and face dynamics

Just took a punt on a pair of Oakley Si Shocktubes. (Awaiting arrival)

Been using Revision Sawflys and found them very good. Bullet Ants were OK but too bulky. I have some double paned ASG Strike/Valken Zulu hybrids and they just fog like mad.

Generally I find it's not fogging that's an issue so much as the sweat that streams down the lenses. Most apparent with spongey gasket frames that just absorb and leak once saturated. So I opt for something that isn't a full seal to stop this happening. No brow contact, no problem. It's a slight risk not being sealed but either way if I can't see I can't play. Catch 22.

I use Guarder Protection Glasses 2014 and smith optics.  The selling point for me with the guarder glasses is that they did a demonstration by using a real shotgun at a distance of a couple of feet away.  The lens did the job but your face would be a gonna!  That was the selling point for me to buy those.  I like the idea of having something like that over engineered. 

Archived