RIF Brands

Chris_B
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So in the last few times I've been to a Sunday skirmish, I always get one or two people interested in my RIF's, asking what make/brand it is and how much it was...

When I reply 'oh it's an Ares' they tend to give me a blank stare and go 'oh....'

So the RIF's in particular I get questioned about are my H&K MG36 & L85A2, both by Ares... Some of the guys at the skirmish even ask 'is that a TM' and still get the same response when I tell them it's an Ares

Is Ares a really bad brand or something? I get dirty looks for not owning a TM or ICS... Thoughts?

• Head Moderator

What is an Ares?  Not a TM, oh never mind. 😛

• Supporters

Much of a muchness realy some of there guns a good some are crap , but quite frankly if any player does look down or sneer at you for the brand of your gun , tell the elitist cockwomble to go shove his head up his own arse and feck off ! 🤬

It's my understanding that the early stuff produced by Ares was hit and miss which is a stigma some still recognise, even if it is unfounded.

I've got my eye on a couple of Ares guns but they're seemingly impossible to get a hold of.

Ares is a solid brand with some excellent guns but a number of people will inevitably listen to opinions even if they're unsupported.

I wouldn't pay any attention to it, at the end of the day it's what works for you and if you're happy with them that's all that matters. 

As Druid said... Screw 'em.

Ares used to be star which made garbage then the Ares stuff used to have a lot of fragile preporiatry parts that were also impossible to get so the stigma has stuck .I have used a few of their newer m4 variants they were nothing special but perfectly skirmishable guns.

Ok so my Ares RIF's aren't bog standard... The L85 is cosmetically standard, but with some minor upgrades using Ares parts... full teeth piston, stainless cylinder head, wired for LiPo etc, nothing over the top. But compared to the ICS, I think the Ares L85 is solidly built... Ok it's more of a faf to get the gearbox out etc, but through my experience of working on it, it's actually quite well built.

The point of this thread is to find out why sheeple have a stigma attached to some brands that they immediately condemn as a P.O.S.

That's strange... People are always interested in my Honeybadger and when I tell them it's Ares they seem even more intrigued.

5 hours ago, GemsHD said:

That's strange... People are always interested in my Honeybadger and when I tell them it's Ares they seem even more intrigued.

I wasn't, I thought it was a knockoff that you got free with a happymeal.

20 minutes ago, war22air said:

I wasn't, I thought it was a knockoff that you got free with a happymeal.

Keep it down or I'll force your safety again

Dose it work? If so then let them get on with it. I suppose its a bit like skodas. Awful when they first came to Britain but now recognised as a reliable brand. But it took a long time for them to shake that reputation. I've found my cheapo guns keep going when some of the people with.... ahem.. better guns give up or start doing very odd things. There again I've not upgraded anything yet or really had it apart. I'm going on the principle of if it ain't broke don't  fix it.

It's all down to reputation of the brand's.

For instance, the Ares guns I have I think look aesthetically detailed and well designed & put together... There are some issues/ foreseeable problems with them from the factory which I have experienced, i.e. the gears are poorly shimmed, the micro switch burns out without a mosfet. But these are things that I've rectified & improved.

By the by, the players on site can't see the work I've put into them, only when I surprised one of them when I was sighting it in and they were staggered by the range I got out of it.... Should be as I put a +£100 PDI barrel in her 😁

From what I’ve seen and heard from people who own them is they’re quite nice externally but are made of cheese inside. Particularly for the price of some of their high end stuff. Unless it was something I really wanted and only they made, it’s not a brand I’d look to personally. 

20 hours ago, Nicky blue eyes said:

Dose it work? If so then let them get on with it. I suppose its a bit like skodas. Awful when they first came to Britain but now recognised as a reliable brand. But it took a long time for them to shake that reputation. I've found my cheapo guns keep going when some of the people with.... ahem.. better guns give up or start doing very odd things. There again I've not upgraded anything yet or really had it apart. I'm going on the principle of if it ain't broke don't  fix it.

Funny thing is that the Czechs had a reputation for fine engineering before WW2.

Skoda made lots of things for the military, including some very good tanks. After 1938 the Germans made extensive use of their factories and skilled workers.

Standards dropped after the War purely because they had to follow the disastrous communist economic model.

The Panzer 38(t) was a good tank, better than the German ones from the same time period (pre-WW2).

I built a model of one as a child.

I'm pretty happy with my Skorpion too, so post war some things were still well designed, at least on the outside.  Can't say how a real one performs 😉

Cheers

G

Archived