Profile - Guns/Loadouts/Sites

TheFull9
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I think the picture says it really, it just seems a real heck of a waste having that bad of an empty space:content ratio.

No dig at misterG he's just filled in the info that anyone might put in their profile on an airsoft board, but I really think a change somewhere would make sense.  To my mind just having that info on your actual profile page and removing it entirely from posts would be the best bet, but if folks are really keen on keeping it then a strict character limit would be very much welcome.

Appreciate this is probably only a desktop problem hence I see it because I'm old and weird.

Untitled.jpg

• Root Admin

I too use mostly browse the desktop version of the site and don't like the waste of space. This one in particular has been an issue that's arisen before and I'm about ready to just have those profile fields moved from the sides of posts to just showing in profiles themselves.

• Supporters

Well, you've got 1 supporter at least.  I get it for those that have a couple of guns, maybe 1-2 loadouts and generally have a local site they always play, but I think the basic idea of posting on this board is to actually show your guns, gear and skirmish shots/discuss the above anyway, so removing it from the sidebar only seems logical overall.

39 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

I think the picture says it really, it just seems a real heck of a waste having that bad of an empty space:content ratio.

No dig at misterG he's just filled in the info that anyone might put in their profile on an airsoft board, but I really think a change somewhere would make sense.  To my mind just having that info on your actual profile page and removing it entirely from posts would be the best bet, but if folks are really keen on keeping it then a strict character limit would be very much welcome.

Appreciate this is probably only a desktop problem hence I see it because I'm old and weird.

Untitled.jpg

There is a character limit, which I have just hit.  I need to stop buying guns.  😉

100 Character limit

• Supporters

Maybe just a drop down button to expand the section?

• Supporters

I actually like the section, and would like a character increase cause Im such a showoff. ;) I'd say, remove/increase the character limit and move it to profiles.

I Like Gepard's idea of the drop down button.

But given the lack of response, maybe most people aren't bothered?

I found seeing where people play and what sort of guns they have usefull in finding people with sites/guns in common.  I wouldn't look through profiles to hunt that down.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

To be honest. The only useful part of it for me is location. If someone has an issue I immediately look to location to see if I can direct them to someone local.

• 3 months later...
  • Supporters

Was scrolling away today and I'd like to bump this up again (not the same screenshot as the OP and I'm not picking on MG it's just the best example):

image.thumb.png.5ddc8c5dcf98a80fb72a4109b9aa8e7a.png

The move to collapsing posts where people quote a butt ton of pictures has been an immense step in the right direction already and this would be very similar if rectified.

• Head Moderator

Just posting to compare size ;)

I ran out of space for loadouts 😄

I've also removed sites that no longer exist

• 2 months later...
On 06/09/2018 at 14:45, proffrink said:

Any further comments on this, anyone?

I like the drop down too.

I'm also seeing the br tags in those 3 sections.

I never bother looking at the guns & loadouts.

Mostly they look like jibberish script code if more than one or two rifs with /> [ hr ] < – etc.

Occasionally the sites are of interest as I can see if they play where I do or look them up.

• Root Admin

I never disagreed with that.

See this thread:

Basically the editor converts your typing into HTML and clearly they wanted to sanitise HTML in people's profile fields too. Every time you hit return when filling these fields in it parses it as a <br />. Instead of having it remove the linebreaks from before their 'security patch' sanitised them they made it display the HTML markup instead. I probably won't be fixing this as it's not something I would want to touch, so people will need to rewrite their profile fields. I could possibly erase all records of <br /> from the database but I'd have to look into this.

However, this is more of an incentive for me to clean up the profile fields when I eventually can be arsed to do so. Still not happy with any solutions so far. Could write something to collapse it but again struggling to be bothered to do so recently as reasonably busy.

So again to be clear: If you want to fix this for yourselves simply rewriting your profile fields should do the tick.

I'll keep you posted.

7 minutes ago, proffrink said:

I never disagreed with that. 

See this thread:

Basically the editor converts your typing into HTML and clearly they wanted to sanitise HTML in people's profile fields too. Every time you hit return when filling these fields in it parses it as a <br />. Instead of having it remove the linebreaks from before their 'security patch' sanitised them they made it display the HTML markup instead. I probably won't be fixing this as it's not something I would want to touch, so people will need to rewrite their profile fields. I could possibly erase all records of <br /> from the database but I'd have to look into this.

However, this is more of an incentive for me to clean up the profile fields when I eventually can be arsed to do so. Still not happy with any solutions so far. Could write something to collapse it but again struggling to be bothered to do so recently as reasonably busy.

So again to be clear: If you want to fix this for yourselves simply rewriting your profile fields should do the tick.

I'll keep you posted.

Oh I see :lol: I thought it was a deliberate way of listing their wares. 👍 Now it makes sense. Learn something everyday.

• Supporters

imho, the best thing to do up until you feel like coding in the collapsible option would be just hide away with these fields (I'm assuming that's fat quicker and easier?).  I don't think that many people read them that much or find them indispensable and they can still be in people's profiles anyone wants to just use 1 click to check out a particular posters' info.

Archived