What route would you take?

supersavage
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all I'm wondering what route to take next, Rifle or GBB pistol. I'm thinking a rifle as I have my little Ares amoeba M4 pistol. A rifle would allow me to be more useful when I get a chance to go to the local outdoor skirmish site. Plus seeing as the little Ares uses M4 style mags I wouldn't necessarily have to buy different ones. 

However I have a really strong want for a GBB pistol, no idea why I just really want one lol. 

I still have a while to wait to get my UKARA number so plenty of time to have a think which way I want to go. But was wondering which way would you guys and girls go?

• Supporters

I'd say another primary. I like sidearms but I rarely get an opportunity to use mine whilst out on the field. That might just be how I play but I reckon you'd get more enjoyment out of a second rifle. 

Unless you’re playing permanent cqb and you’ve accounted for the extra mags you’ll need, a second primary is the way to go. Once you’ve got 2 primaries, then buy pistols 

• Supporters

Tricky one.  How hot is the Ares shooting?  A whisker under 300fps with 0.2g?  That's borderline usable for woodland, if the hop and grouping are OK.

You could quite reasonably get something longer putting out 350fps or your site limit.  The other option might be to try a sniper, and run the Ares as a secondary, if that appeals at all.

I'd probably do all of the above, funds permitting. ;)

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Tricky one.  How hot is the Ares shooting?  A whisker under 300fps with 0.2g?  That's borderline usable for woodland, if the hop and grouping are OK.

You could quite reasonably get something longer putting out 350fps or your site limit.  The other option might be to try a sniper, and run the Ares as a secondary, if that appeals at all.

I'd probably do all of the above, funds permitting. ;)

Last time I checked the ares was around 275-280fps with 0.2g though the groupings are reasonable for close range it does struggle accuracy wise further out, however it does seem to have decent range. I hadn't thought about a sniper and using the ares as a secondary, I'll have a look around and see whether that's a option to go for as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

After giving this alot of thought I'm probably going to go for a TM hi capa gold match as I think I'll be playing at the local cqb site for a while, certainly over winter. Plus I like the amount of aftermarket stuff that's available and can make it my own in time. I've been bouncing around verious sites and there's nothing that's really appealed to me apart from the F1 firearms aeg that was released recently, though something tells me that it'll be all show and no go as it were. 

I like pistols. I cannot lie.
And SMG's.
I like short, manoeuvrable guns, cos they're fun!
Good call on the TM. 
In my first three outdoor games, my rifles broke. So I just put them away and used my G18c. Had a whale of a time!
And the added fun from getting kills with a pistol over peeps with rifles 😄 
If in doubt, buy more pistols!
Or rifles...
Or guns.
That's it. Just buy more guns! 😉 

Contrary to @Gepard, I use my sidearm quite a lot, regardless of if I’m running my M4/G36 or my VSR.

You can never have too many pistols.

I've gone the pistol primary route.

Hi Capa.

I'll be playing only CQB for a while and while most people there are running rifles it's just not for me. Too big.

I have zero intention of buying an AEG at this point and if I ever do it'll be something compact like a vector or an MP5.

When I eventually make the shift to include outdoor woodland sites I'll be taking the sniper route. Got my sights set on a Silverback SRS.

Having played mainly cqb and pistol only I ran hi-capas for a good 8-9 years, 226 prior to that. Although the capas are great and have loads of spares I made the switch to a TM hk45  as I had a few comrades using them a long time. Not only without any issues but the newer 15mm bbu guns are super efficient and good in the cold. First time I got to use it it was snowing and minus temp consistently emptying mags and locking back with plenty of gas left in the mag to spare. In particular the gold match is a great gun snappy efficient it's still on the old engine and the cut slide has been known to break which puts me off. Yes you can replace the slide but then the efficiency goes. If you wanted something pimpy I'd go with the ported M&P as it uses the 15mm bbu and a stronger slide.

8 hours ago, supersavage said:

Ended up with the gold match as my local airsoft shop/site had a couple in and they were looking at me. I also ended up with an extended 50rnd mag for it. 

Same as me mate. Good choice imho.

As shark said, the slides are known to crack so be prepared to need to upgrade to an alloy slide at some point... 6-12 months seems to be the average with those that cracked.

I've spoken to many many people who advised that they have ran it for years without it breaking so it seems a little hit or miss.

The hop unit also is known to break and the thumb safety and sights too.

My plan is to do something to my hi-capa every month or 2... Slowly upgrade everything until it doesn't have a single TM part remaining and effectively rebuild the gold match as a backup.

Lots of good upgrade videos on YT.

Think my first port of call will be an alloy slide, enhanced 140% return spring, enhanced loading nozzle and a short stroke buffer kit in Oct/Nov.

Already spunked nearly £250 on 6x 41rnd prowin mags.

1 hour ago, Seven said:

Same as me mate. Good choice imho.

As shark said, the slides are known to crack so be prepared to need to upgrade to an alloy slide at some point... 6-12 months seems to be the average with those that cracked.

I've spoken to many many people who advised that they have ran it for years without it breaking so it seems a little hit or miss.

The hop unit also is known to break and the thumb safety and sights too.

My plan is to do something to my hi-capa every month or 2... Slowly upgrade everything until it doesn't have a single TM part remaining and effectively rebuild the gold match as a backup.

Lots of good upgrade videos on YT.

Think my first port of call will be an alloy slide, enhanced 140% return spring, enhanced loading nozzle and a short stroke buffer kit in Oct/Nov.

Already spunked nearly £250 on 6x 41rnd prowin mags.

That's kind of my plan in terms when I'm going to upgrade it, which is run it as is then get whatever I need as/when I need or want to. The only exception to that is getting a threaded outer barrel or adapter to use my Tracer unit sooner rather than later. In the meantime I'll be bouncing around different sites and YouTube videos for ideas of where/how I want to go with it. 

1 hour ago, supersavage said:

That's kind of my plan in terms when I'm going to upgrade it, which is run it as is then get whatever I need as/when I need or want to. The only exception to that is getting a threaded outer barrel or adapter to use my Tracer unit sooner rather than later. In the meantime I'll be bouncing around different sites and YouTube videos for ideas of where/how I want to go with it. 

Yeah, the tracer unit is probably my next priority after the slide, spring, nozzle and short stroke.

Then I'll move on to inner barrel, hop unit and bucking.

Then lower frame and grip.

Then the rest in whichever order I feel like at the time, probably prioritise the aesthetic at this point and start with the thumb safety's, hammer etc.

Short stroke and you loose the slide stop though. The cycle is easily quick enough for skirmish without short stroke. Tracer is a gimmick and gives away your position easier. Also adding suppressors to gbbp can slow and even stop the cycle unless you have one of those little light weight ones. Little trick I always did was keep an eye out for nice high-end builds fs with parts I liked on , cheaper than buying new parts separately at the right price. I would then build 2 guns or just a slide and have a lower for spares. One for cold running using the original abs slide and the other metal. This said the 50rnd mag will keep it running better.

58 minutes ago, heroshark said:

Short stroke and you loose the slide stop though. The cycle is easily quick enough for skirmish without short stroke. Tracer is a gimmick and gives away your position easier. Also adding suppressors to gbbp can slow and even stop the cycle unless you have one of those little light weight ones. Little trick I always did was keep an eye out for nice high-end builds fs with parts I liked on , cheaper than buying new parts separately at the right price. I would then build 2 guns or just a slide and have a lower for spares. One for cold running using the original abs slide and the other metal. This said the 50rnd mag will keep it running better.

I found the Tracer helps me a lot in the low light conditions of the indoor cqb site as my glasses don't work well with my dye i4 as a result I have to take them off so I can't always see where the beebs are going. The tracer I've got is the little xcortech xt301 which is tiny and lightweight. 

Red tracer rounds are way better. . You can still see them but dosnt really give you away... only used them last week as I ran out of green and loved them

This is my we hicapa 5.1, lighter tracer, entendre mag running red 0.2 tracers.. love this thing and.will deffo be doing more internal mods.. I do run a torch some times but not usually needed

20180922_084959.jpg

20180922_085010.jpg

This is my we hicapa 5.1, lighter tracer, entendre mag running red 0.2 tracers.. love this thing and.will deffo be doing more internal mods.. I do run a torch some times but not usually needed

2 hours ago, heroshark said:

Im aware I'll lose the slide lock. Who needs the slide to lock back though? Not me. It does increase gas efficiency though. Even if it is just slightly.

Cycle time as standard may be 'quick enough' but im not personally in the market for 'quick enough'... my aim is 'quickest' and 'lightest' although granted there will be a little sacrifice in that dept for aesthetics... some of the slides out there are hideous in the name of super light and fast.

Im not at all worried about giving my position away... the whole draw for running pistol as a primary is movement. I wont be in one place long enough for it to really matter but the ability to see the first shot and correct if necessary to hit with the 2nd shot outweighs any possible negative for me.

How can a suppressor stop or slow the cycle when the barrel doesn't move? This doesn't make sense. It can however apply stress to the outer barrel but i'll be running an acetech lighter tracer unit so negligible weight.

See attached video for an example of what im aiming for...

Personal preference I suppose. I use normal size mags and wouldn't want to run dry hence slide stop. Nor would I want big mags once again my preference but I'd still like a slide lock. I did once short stroke a slide and add an extra stop notch so it would lock. The slide moves around the barrel, the extra weight of a barrel attached suppressor can sometimes cause extra friction from the barrel against the slide slowing or sometimes completely stopping the cycle it's quite a common issue. 

14 minutes ago, heroshark said:

The slide moves around the barrel, the extra weight of a barrel attached suppressor can sometimes cause extra friction from the barrel against the slide slowing or sometimes completely stopping the cycle it's quite a common issue. 

Fair enough. Im guessing this is where the uprated return spring and short stroke comes in handy. Less rearward travel and greatly increased applied force forwards. The guys in those videos have been running tracers for 5+ years with no issue, even back when they were using the huge, standard Marui tracer units. They have all moved to the acetech lighter unit now though.

Aye indeed that's part of it. I suppose I do also come from a point of 17 years experience and it is indeed less of a common issue as it was with earlier tracers. Also as said completely circumvented if you have a half cut slide or mounted to a strike plate type setup.

Archived