Going to Airsoft alone...?

Cleaners inc
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

After reading the “how to get a team without any friends” topic it got me wondering...

how many people actually play alone? As opposed to going with friends?

Ive only ever played Airsoft with friends, often just one or a couple of them at a time. I normally avoid going if I don’t have anyone to go with, but I’ve been debating going along a lot recently due to others not going as often as I’d like. Do you guys going alone find it to be a different experience going solo compared when with friends?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I exclusively played on my own up until recently when I started meeting people from here. Never had any real problems, always found people out on the field to work with. Usually end up sharing a table with people who you get chatting to as well. 

I almost always go by myself, however I do encourage a few people I know to join me from time to time. However It's fairly easy to become familiar with a few people if you regularly play at one site.

I have only just started airsoft myself, started last weekend of July. Have been going on my own and everyone has been nice to me. I have had a blast everytime I go. Just talk to people and it will be fine. 

• Head Moderator

You meet fellow airsofters by going to airsoft sites and playing. Many of us turn up at games alone, it is a niche hobby. Even when attending with friends you get separated and end up playing on your own or working with unknown players on your team. Most airsofters are friendly enough and like talking about their guns and gear.  Get chatting to other players in the safe zone or when skirmishing. You may even get to meet up with some other forum members.

• Supporters

It's not a problem either way. Once you start attending you meet new people who you click with. I often play without friends. 

I'm sure you've met a couple who you've got on with? Well enough that you could approach them anyway?

2 hours ago, Cleaners inc said:

How so?

A guy threw a wobbler when people were not taking hits and spoilt it for everyone. Overall I have had positive experiences going solo, I have a team from work we go with every second Wed at Invasion or on Weekends at a f&o site near Manchester.

I would never let the fact that none of my mukkers were able to play discourage me from playing

I quite enjoy meeting new folk anyways , and you start to get established and recognised, folk will always come for a chat

(unless you stink!! 😂)

I started off playing on my own, but lately have been playing with people I've made friends with from the forum and people they know.

Even before that I did get to know some of the regulars.

As with anything in life, if you play fair and are friendly then people tend to treat you the same.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

I actively prefer going alone rather than making a play date.  Far too many years of doing hobbies where it was all such a big commitment, and you were letting the group down if you didn't show.  That's not to say that I'm antisocial at the site, just that I don't want to feel any obligation to show up if I'm not feeling 100%, or its unpleasantly wet.

On that last one, sites or members that try and guilt trip folk who are no shows can get bent like a pretzel. The fastest way to kill a fun hobby or a group is to bring resentment and nagging into it.

27 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

On that last one, sites or members that try and guilt trip folk who are no shows can get bent like a pretzel. The fastest way to kill a fun hobby or a group is to bring resentment and nagging into it.

+1 to that. Get enough bloody nagging at home. “Take the bins out” , “go to work” or “stop shooting my knickers with your BB gun”. Like it’s my fault my gun gets nearer to them than I do. 🤣

When I started I played on my own but I always got involved with everyone at the site, and in turn met a lot of people. If you show up and talk people will start to recognise you and you'll eventually make friends like that.

after getting back into it iv allways gone alone , at first it felt like i was alone but after the first game you will talk to others and slowly make friends .. now i know pretty much everyone of the regular players {the ones that played when i have anyway} and now im only traveling to the site "alone"

3 hours ago, Haru said:

I'm starting uni in october, I hope I can find some airsofters otherwise I'll be going alone. My friends wont put money into airsoft let alone buy a £15 video game

Does your uni allow societies? I’ve heard many unis do. Maybe worth starting an airsoft society.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

we never play alone

But everyone dies alone. 😢

I mean, unless you're getting mediced.  Then you die with some sweaty man pawing at you.

7 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

Does your uni allow societies? I’ve heard many unis do. Maybe worth starting an airsoft society.

Yeah I was surprised how many universities have a Airsoft society, most of them tend to and have decent amount of members.

Personally I tend to roll solo since I'm a one man army and it gives me the freedom to just randomly go. I would say I do like playing with my friends and having someone watching my back.

I do know alot of people in my area (and beyond) and I'm mates with most of them so if we both happen to be there we might tag team or I might post a message saying that I'll be a site and see whos going. It is really easy to get on with most Airsoft folk.

8 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

We do have societies, not much though and I'm not the type to start things

Archived