Anti-fog fan goggles idea

CiderPunk
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I had an idea for anti-fogging goggles, how does this sound...

Rather than attaching the fan to the front of the goggles, where real estate is tight and possibly distracting, have the fan and battery pack attached to the  goggles strap, behind your head, and pipe the air flow in silicone pipes to the front.

e.g.

A 5v blower fan, one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5015-50mm-Turbine-Blower-Cooling-Fan-5V-12V-24V-DC-3D-Printer-/162547920907?var= 

a small usb power bank, 

a foot or so of 10mm OD , 8mm ID pipe, cable tied/hotglued to the top of my bolle X800 frame blasting the air downwards onto the lens via some holes drilled into the tube.

3d printed adaptors to fit the pipe on the end of the fan

and some sort of enclosure to make it look a bit less crap 

Conventional wisdom has any fans sucking the rather than blowing, but I don;t think that'd work remotely.

worth a try or batshit insnae?

Unfortunately your idea will just be blowing air in your eyes...

To work efficiently, the fan actually has to pull air OUT of the goggles.  This allows fresh, cool air to be drawn in evenly from either upper or low vents. The air has to flow past the lens to pull the moisture away.  This is why most fans are mounted on top and the vents are at the bottom.

Using tubes reduces airflow efficiency to the fan would have to be more powerful = heavier so no real gain.

• Supporters

Naysays will always say nay.  I have one of those fans myself bought for exactly that purpose but putting it together hasn't yet bubbled to the top of my priority list as I wussed out and bought commercial fan goggles (then double glazed them for good measure).

I'd want to run it on my Pyramex dual-panes rather than on goggles per se , as I'd prefer to wear them but they fog up on me after a while.  It shouldn't take much airflow to keep them clear, and I like the idea of a row of holes along the tube.  Getting a seal between the tube and the large rectangular aperture on the fan seems like the biggest challenge, as there's not much of a lip to work with.

Tubing just eBayed: race you. ;)

On 01/09/2018 at 00:44, CiderPunk said:

I had an idea for anti-fogging goggles, how does this sound...

Rather than attaching the fan to the front of the goggles, where real estate is tight and possibly distracting, have the fan and battery pack attached to the  goggles strap, behind your head, and pipe the air flow in silicone pipes to the front.

e.g.

A 5v blower fan, one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5015-50mm-Turbine-Blower-Cooling-Fan-5V-12V-24V-DC-3D-Printer-/162547920907?var= 

a small usb power bank, 

a foot or so of 10mm OD , 8mm ID pipe, cable tied/hotglued to the top of my bolle X800 frame blasting the air downwards onto the lens via some holes drilled into the tube.

3d printed adaptors to fit the pipe on the end of the fan

and some sort of enclosure to make it look a bit less crap 

Conventional wisdom has any fans sucking the rather than blowing, but I don;t think that'd work remotely.

worth a try or batshit insnae?

Worth a go, my fan googles and the ones I fitted to my paintball mask extract, rather than blow, so you might want to experiment.

Cheers

G

There is a product like this already available, called the Exfog.

I have one, works extremely well. It regulates the temperature inside the goggle to eliminate fogging and condensation.

This has been a game changer for me.

Old picture as I have the unit inside a little multicam pouch on the back of my lid now, but you get the jist. 

FB_IMG_1530891153518.jpg

• Root Admin
18 hours ago, Hutchy85 said:

There is a product like this already available, called the Exfog.

I have one, works extremely well. It regulates the temperature inside the goggle to eliminate fogging and condensation.

This has been a game changer for me.

Old picture as I have the unit inside a little multicam pouch on the back of my lid now, but you get the jist. 

FB_IMG_1530891153518.jpg

tfw your goggles can run crysis

Archived