Bucking and barrel setup for HPA LMG.

SeniorSpaz87
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Hello,

I am building a Daytona M60, cause recoil. For those of you who do not know, Daytonas have the same options as most AEGs when it comes to hop options - standard, flat, and r-hopped. My other two Daytonas both are r-hopped, but they are standard rifles - so this new Daytona will have a lot more roundage through it a lot sooner. Should I not bother trying to go with an r-hop / flat hop setup, or is it still worth it? If so, which?

Second. I run a Madbull Black Python 2 in my Daytona Masada and a PDI 6.01 (I think? May be a 6.03...). Should I go with one of those again, or go with something else?

• Root Admin

I have a DG M249 and it's R-hopped. It destroyed its first 2 patches though. Using a Prometheus BC Bright. I'd probably go with a reasonably cheap brass barrel for break-in but I'd also strongly consider a PDI 6.03 or even .05 once it's all broken in (even before is likely fine tbh as that steel just doesn't feel any pain). The M249 seems to be particularly harsh on the barrel for that first 10,000 shots and as far as I know the M60 has an even larger set of moving parts.

Perhaps some cheap, quick and dirty R-hop patches until you can get the thing feeding consistently and after that break-in is done?

IN short, I don't have a huge number of answers for you. I wouldn't worry about getting it right until break-in is complete though on the machine gun kits as they are particularly shit, dirty and harsh on the whole hop assembly during that first 10k even with a quality BB. Perhaps the kits have improved a lot since then.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, proffrink said:

I have a DG M249 and it's R-hopped. It destroyed its first 2 patches though. Using a Prometheus BC Bright. I'd probably go with a reasonably cheap brass barrel for break-in but I'd also strongly consider a PDI 6.03 or even .05 once it's all broken in (even before is likely fine tbh as that steel just doesn't feel any pain). The M249 seems to be particularly harsh on the barrel for that first 10,000 shots and as far as I know the M60 has an even larger set of moving parts.

Perhaps some cheap, quick and dirty R-hop patches until you can get the thing feeding consistently and after that break-in is done?

IN short, I don't have a huge number of answers for you. I wouldn't worry about getting it right until break-in is complete though on the machine gun kits as they are particularly shit, dirty and harsh on the whole hop assembly during that first 10k even with a quality BB. Perhaps the kits have improved a lot since then.

They have gotten better - for instance the break-in period is down a few thousand rounds. I have plenty of standard brass barrels lying around from other guns ive built, so not an issue. I just kinda want to save on shipping and order it all in one go - I am not gonna bother r-hopping/flat hopping it until after the break in period.

• Root Admin

I did get the new hop unit for the 249 but I've not fitted it yet. Good to hear it's not such a pita now.

I would still stick with R-hop when you're done. If you're going to use .30s+ it still can't be beat on consistency and those DG buckings are still pretty bad.

Archived