Pick my new camo

SeniorSpaz87
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Pick my new camo  

14 members have voted

1. 1. LBX Caimen, Multicam tropic, or other?

• LBX Caimen
    • Multicam Tropic
    • Other (Kryptek Mandrake, MARPAT, Vegetato, etc)

• Supporters

I have an MilSim coming up at the end of November that my squad is going green at for the first time. We usually run Flektarn but it isnt being allowed for some odd reason, so we need to change. I have guys going plain OD and MARPAT, but I wanted something a little more unique. So I was thinking either Multicam Tropic or LBX Caimen. Caimen is good quality and the more effective camo I believe but has limited availability (only one combat shirt and one set of pants offered, and me being in the Southern US means that long-sleeve shirt makes the uniform mostly unusable for late Spring, Summer, and early Fall due to heat). Multicam Tropic is a slightly less-effective camo in my opinion, but its both the cheaper option and has more pieces available. Thoughts?

• Head Moderator

I like the LBX Caiman

image.png.9dde46c6e45b160676398c78032ec988.png

It looks better than Multicam Tropic

image.thumb.png.0f5504a8d3887fc9ec9e9e70b625b3ca.png

You could always roll your sleeves up ;)

• Supporters
38 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

probably too unfair on the enemy, it is basically cheat mode after all.

You could balance it by putting all the Crye on the other side.

• Supporters
Just now, Rogerborg said:

You could balance it by putting all the Crye on the other side.

i'm not sure a team filled with invisible fighters versus a team where everyone keeps stopping to check their kneepads for scratches is a fair fight :P

• Supporters

Caimen looks like a poor quality Chinese nock off flecktarn too me , and I’ve always thought flecktarn looked like army surplus that had been used in a paint shop ! 🤦‍♂️

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

I like the LBX Caiman

It looks better than Multicam Tropic

You could always roll your sleeves up ;)

Its more the thickness of the material. All my other loadout Ive found very thin tops to help with heat. Its not a huge problem as we generally run tan.

6 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I'm intrigued.

"The arms are almost completely brown, no go for OW5." Direct quote...

4 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Caimen looks like a poor quality Chinese nock off flecktarn too me , and I’ve always thought flecktarn looked like army surplus that had been used in a paint shop ! 🤦‍♂️

Nah, Caimen is more a modified clone of MARPAT. Its a digital camo, while Flektarn is splotchy.

• Supporters

What about ATACS-iX? Or is that not "green" enough?

• Supporters

LBX gear is, objectively, over priced for what it is.  It seems decent when you give it a cursory glance/try out, but when you do the cost analysis it doesn't stack up.

For me, for many years now it's been much more about the quality of garment available than the pattern necessarily printed on it.  So when I'm looking to add a camo pattern to my collection for example I'll spend a long time searching the globe trying to find the best possible manufacturer of a clothing set in that given pattern/colour.  I know some folks don't really care about that kinda stuff so much but I find a lot of the cheaper fabrics lose their dye so fast through wash cycles it's pretty ridiculous - and I'm more of a collector than a player anyway so if you're actually getting out and running around (especially in woodland) 2-3+ times a month then investing in the longevity makes even more sense.  Obviously there's nothing wrong with most issue kit (brit, US, german etc) but after a lot of testing and comparison I find the non-issue stuff doesn't stand up nearly as well when you go more budget price; just my experience obviously.

Good thing in the states, if you want a green camo, is that US Woodland, temperate MARPAT and NWU3 are all available commonly on ebay.  Far more choices made from higher quality fabrics when it comes to US issue gear vs anything in europe.  The Tencate Defender stuff in MARPAT isn't comparatively as great a lot of the time but you can't argue the value you can get from a FROG combat shirt.  For the same price as LBX my top pick would be NWU Type 3 off ebay since it's far better fabric and people will think you're uber leet in your 'AOR2', though for far less money and in just as high quality fabric you can go with the surplus Woodland BDUs and those things are always pretty awesome.  NYCO uniforms will almost always be thinner than PYCO as well since the fabric is more resistant to tears and abrasion so they don't have to weave it as thickly to give the same overall resilience.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

What about ATACS-iX? Or is that not "green" enough?

It should be fine, hadn't actually heard of it. That may be an option, Ill just have to see whats available in it.

34 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

LBX gear is, objectively, over priced for what it is.  It seems decent when you give it a cursory glance/try out, but when you do the cost analysis it doesn't stack up.

For me, for many years now it's been much more about the quality of garment available than the pattern necessarily printed on it.  So when I'm looking to add a camo pattern to my collection for example I'll spend a long time searching the globe trying to find the best possible manufacturer of a clothing set in that given pattern/colour.  I know some folks don't really care about that kinda stuff so much but I find a lot of the cheaper fabrics lose their dye so fast through wash cycles it's pretty ridiculous - and I'm more of a collector than a player anyway so if you're actually getting out and running around (especially in woodland) 2-3+ times a month then investing in the longevity makes even more sense.  Obviously there's nothing wrong with most issue kit (brit, US, german etc) but after a lot of testing and comparison I find the non-issue stuff doesn't stand up nearly as well when you go more budget price; just my experience obviously.

Good thing in the states, if you want a green camo, is that US Woodland, temperate MARPAT and NWU3 are all available commonly on ebay.  Far more choices made from higher quality fabrics when it comes to US issue gear vs anything in europe.  The Tencate Defender stuff in MARPAT isn't comparatively as great a lot of the time but you can't argue the value you can get from a FROG combat shirt.  For the same price as LBX my top pick would be NWU Type 3 off ebay since it's far better fabric and people will think you're uber leet in your 'AOR2' but for far less money and in just as high quality fabric you can go with the surplus Woodland BDUs and those things are always pretty awesome.  NYCO uniforms will almost always be thinner than PYCO as well since the fabric is more resistant to tears and abrasion so they don't have to weave it as thickly to give the same overall resilience.

CADPAT may be an option - I do prefer the look of it over MARPAT. I can't stand US Woodland, same with MTP (Im a bit of a show-off haha). I agree with quality, yet I can't quite afford to go with genuine Crye, so theres a trade off (I know plenty of good options exist between something you get off AliExpress and Crye).

I agree that Caimen is a bit overpriced, but one of the main reasons I was tempted by Caimen is that there is a sale going on that would save me around 50 quid ($180-$190 for complete set usually, $120-$130 on sale). So the price is much more reasonable right now. Another thing to consider - The South isnt quite as green as a lot of the UK is (or at least the places I play). Thats why Kryptek Highlander is my primary camo - the stuff is fantastic in the dried brush intermixed with greenery and trees. LBX is a similar camo, so I figured it might be a more effective camo in my environment.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, SeniorSpaz87 said:

It should be fine, hadn't actually heard of it. That may be an option, Ill just have to see whats available in it.

Plenty of stuff available from UR-Tactical https://www.ur-tactical.com/index.php/component/virtuemart/keyword/ix/view/category/search/true/virtuemart_category_id/0/limitstart/0

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Dentonboy said:

US4CES could be an option. 

Its not really available yet.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, mimozine said:

also danish m84 camo is quite cool

Huh. Not really a fan of the m95, but that m84 looks like a tropical flektarn... Might have to look that one up...

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, mimozine said:

yeah the danish camo was based on flektarn, pattern is the same only difference is colours

We may have a winner boys... Plus this way I have a full set of Tropentarn, Flektarn, and M84, which I am now forever going to affectionately call Danetarn :D

• Moderators

Id go for Atacs IX if you can as Lozart said, prefer the look....., liked the FG version, this is the 'newer' style....if not just Marpat.... :)

Some nice patterns, 

https://www.a-tacs.com/patterns

anyway we all know camo makes bugger all difference, you could dress like this and still not be seen!...:lol::lol:

image.png.ac81db09d798675487d6e1f87ba3f08a.png

sorry to but in, but I've been looking at multicam tropic myself, cant seem to find any plate carriers, I'm ocd and want everything to match... do you know anywhere that sells them?

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Haru said:

Hate to say this but, the best camo is the cardboard box.

I preferr the high-vis vest myself, its amazing how nobody ever shoots me when i'm wearing one

55 minutes ago, curt_95 said:

sorry to but in, but I've been looking at multicam tropic myself, cant seem to find any plate carriers, I'm ocd and want everything to match... do you know anywhere that sells them?

UR Tactical or maybe Hueys MTO?! 

Archived