Hop rubber

snuff
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I cannot find the thread discussing the best hop rubber to use(soft,hard,etc) regarding certain FPS's,I have looked and searched to no avail...cheers.

Hi

For Macaron it's 60 degrees (tan one), but lips too long for my ICS guns, unless you sand them.  Prommy purple just about fits and is fine for 350 fps.

I am using a tipmmann stock bucking flat hopped and it works well in my ICS CXP.

Cheers

G

Rule of thumb for me is that Prommy Purple is the best standard hop rubber for anything up to 350 FPS

For flat hop the 50 degree Macaron Maple leaf with 0hm nub is great for up to 350 FPS

Thanks both..

1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

Rule of thumb for me is that Prommy Purple is the best standard hop rubber for anything up to 350 FPS

For flat hop the 50 degree Macaron Maple leaf with 0hm nub is great for up to 350 FPS

Sorry is the 0hm nub the omega?Thanks.

13 minutes ago, snuff said:

Thanks both..

Sorry is the 0hm nub the omega?Thanks.

Yes mate. Even works with my FAMAS hop unit. 

1 minute ago, Asomodai said:

Yes mate. Even works with my FAMAS hop unit. 

Sorry to be a pain,so I can use them to achieve a flat hop,as in smoothing the hop rubber?Sorry not tried doing it before...and thanks.

1 minute ago, snuff said:

Sorry to be a pain,so I can use them to achieve a flat hop,as in smoothing the hop rubber?Sorry not tried doing it before...and thanks.

So to flat hop a bucking you need to remove the standard ridge that buckings have with a knife, the nub is used in conjunction the arm. If you don't remove the ridge then you will likely over hop even with no hop enabled 

You turn it inside out and remove anything that protrudes.  I used a knife then dremmel like tool to sand it down completety.  turn it back out and then put it on at 90 degrees to how it used to be so that the unblemished bits cover the hop window.

Cheers

G

Why take a maple leaf bucking and an omega nub and then defile it by cutting it to bits. It’s been the best hop rubber for an AEG outside of an R hop

38 minutes ago, E21A said:

Do you not want to be using a flat hop nub rather than an omega nub?

No idea....

9 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Why take a maple leaf bucking and an omega nub and then defile it by cutting it to bits. It’s been the best hop rubber for an AEG outside of an R hop

I can try it before I mutilate it..

Softer rubber needs less force to apply backspin. But that is at the cost of durability.

A 50-60 shore hardness is standard for most guns at 350fps. 60's have the durability advantage, but both will work.

The more fps you have the more hardness you need, not to apply backspin, but to resist the shearing forces applied by the BB under force. Hence a 500fps gun is going to be looking at 70-75 shore hardness.

There is a point where a rubber can be too hard. At this point the rubber will either touch and stop the BB, or it will not be touching and you will have no backspin. With that in mind going harder than 75 hardness is generally not recommended.

Likewise going softer than 50 will give you a rubber with no durability even for a 350fps gun.

For a no messing about solution the maple leaf 60 aeg rubbers with the omega nub are a solid solution. (£15) It's almost impossible to screw up the install, And the elongated patch is more consistent than the standard mound solutions.

For a flat hop Prommy purple. (£9) Or a cherry picked budget rubber. The advantage of flat hopping is you can pick the part of the rubber that is going to act as the mound, so you can vet the rubber for problems. The disadvantage is the nub, You can make them out of rubber, or make a custom arm up. Either way it's time consuming, and takes a few attempts to get perfect.

Best on a budget G&G green with a stock nub. Or promy purple with standard nub. (£9) I'd have those over the likes of a madbull anyday. Whilst slightly more expensive the chances of getting a poor bucking are pretty small.

Cheap rubbers tend to be poor in QC terms. You might get a good one, you might get one with serious flash, Air bubbles, bad mounds ect. The more reputable brands in hop rubber terms tend to be better at keeping the QC correct. I've had some success with cheap buckings, but only when I've cherry picked the bucking, and spent extra time setting up the hop.

• 8 months later...
On 28/08/2018 at 01:17, Iceni said:

For a no messing about solution the maple leaf 60 aeg rubbers with the omega nub are a solid solution. (£15) It's almost impossible to screw up the install, And the elongated patch is more consistent than the standard mound solutions.

Best on a budget G&G green with a stock nub. Or promy purple with standard nub. (£9) I'd have those over the likes of a madbull anyday. Whilst slightly more expensive the chances of getting a poor bucking are pretty small.

Hello!

What will work better with ~430 fps aeg, maple leaf 60 + omega nub or promy purple?

Thank you!

The Prommy purple at 430fps won't last long at all. It's a soft 50 degree. Very good for standard builds @<350fps.

60 degree should be about right, I wouldn't want to go any harder than that.

Archived