Starter Weapon

Commie_1990
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

13 minutes ago, Commie_1990 said:

Anyone got any good ideas for a starter gun? Personally I'd prefer an AK platform. 

To be honest your planned Cyma AK74 you have in your guns profile is a good starter gun. I would recommend the  CM.048 version   as it has a fair amount of steel in the important areas  mainly the receiver, use standard ver 3 gearbox so spare/ repairs and upgrades are not a problem, and is based on the VFC designed of construction so disassembly   is somewhat semi-realistic and it does not rely on lots of screws to assemble like  the older versions of Tokyo Marui based designs. 

You have also got LCT AK which in my opinion is a step up from Cyma.

1 minute ago, Sniper780 said:

To be honest your planned Cyma AK74 you have in your guns profile is a good starter gun. I would recommend the  CM.048 version   as it has a fair amount of steel in the important areas  mainly the receiver, use standard ver 3 gearbox so spare/ repairs and upgrades are not a problem, and is based on the VFC designed of construction so disassembly   is somewhat semi-realistic and it does not rely on lots of screws to assemble like  the older versions of Tokyo Marui based designs. 

You have also got LCT AK which in my opinion is a step up from Cyma.

I was planning on the AKMS underfolder as well, only the last Cyma AK I had the "pot" metal broke around the sling mount on the front 

• Supporters

the cyma ak's are a favourite rental gun of sites round here, and seem to be pretty tough.

personally i quite like their new aksu's with the side folding stock, very solid and heavy feel to them, i'd be tempted if i didn't already have an aksu.

a folding stock is cool, but realistically a full stock is going to be the better option as you'll be unrestricted as to what battery you can run. the only reason the real ones do is for getting in and out of vehicles but that's not that common in airsoft, and odds are a good knock and it'll wobble like mad.

4 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

the cyma ak's are a favourite rental gun of sites round here, and seem to be pretty tough.

personally i quite like their new aksu's with the side folding stock, very solid and heavy feel to them, i'd be tempted if i didn't already have an aksu.

a folding stock is cool, but realistically a full stock is going to be the better option as you'll be unrestricted as to what battery you can run. the only reason the real ones do is for getting in and out of vehicles but that's not that common in airsoft, and odds are a good knock and it'll wobble like mad.

I get you, I'll check their AKS-74U. Good point about the underfolder I didn't think of it from that view 

2 minutes ago, Commie_1990 said:

I was planning on the AKMS underfolder as well, only the last Cyma AK I had the "pot" metal broke around the sling mount on the front 

Well with your budget you could go for an LCT version  ( if you are UKARA registered) which is full steel and like I said before LCT uses standard ver 3 gearboxes so spare/ repairs and upgrades are not a problem and is based on the VFC designed of construction so disassembly is somewhat semi-realistic.

Are you going for a particular impression for your kit? 

PS What version of cyma did you have?

4 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

Well with your budget you could go for an LCT version  ( if you are UKARA registered) which is full steel and like I said before LCT uses standard ver 3 gearboxes so spare/ repairs and upgrades are not a problem and is based on the VFC designed of construction so disassembly is somewhat semi-realistic.

Are you going for a particular impression for your kit? 

PS What version of cyma did you have?

Im going for a late 70s communist bloc inspired kit, complete with camouflage over suit, khakis etc. And I had the CM48S 

7 minutes ago, Commie_1990 said:

Im going for a late 70s warsaw bloc inspired kit, complete with camouflage over suit, khakis etc. And I had the CM48S 

LCT is a good way to go if you can find them in stock fire support had them at a good price https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/lct-lckms-akms-airsoft-gun-aeg and there is someone selling a weathered one on prefired second-hand sale https://www.prefired.com/ads/akms-ak-47/  you could also look at the AK74 series again LCT and E&L ( but E&L  can be quite expensive depending on where you buy from) do good versions of this variant of AK.  

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Commie_1990 said:

Im going for a late 70s communist bloc inspired kit, complete with camouflage over suit, khakis etc. And I had the CM48S 

sweet choice man, it's nice to see something that's not the usual "m4 operator" style on the field. 

14 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

LCT is a good way to go if you can find them in stock fire support had them at a good price https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/lct-lckms-akms-airsoft-gun-aeg and there is someone selling a weathered one on prefired second-hand sale https://www.prefired.com/ads/akms-ak-47/  you could also look at the AK74 series again LCT and E&L ( but E&L  can be quite expensive depending on where you buy from) do good versions of this variant of AK.  

Ive heard E&L are amazing for reaslism, and at some point  the LCT AMD-65 will be mine.

4 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

sweet choice man, it's nice to see something that's not the usual "m4 operator" style on the field. 

I know! It's all I see on YouTube is AR Operators 

11 minutes ago, Commie_1990 said:

Ive heard E&L are amazing for reaslism

E&L AKs are an OK what with the near full travel bolt and Russian red coloration on the wood versions, but if you want the most realistic AEG AK in my opinion. Then the Real Sword Type 56 series of AK is the best it full steel which is blued just like the original one. It is 1:1 they even designed a gearbox to fit the real steel receivers. But they are the Chinese version of the AK so not very popular in airsoft especially if you are recreating  Eastern Europe Communist bloc.    

Just now, Sniper780 said:

E&L AKs are an OK what with the near full travel bolt and Russian red coloration on the wood versions, but if you want the most realistic AEG AK in my opinion. Then the Real Sword Type 56 series of AK is the best it full steel which is blued just like the original one. It is 1:1 they even designed a gearbox to fit the real steel receivers. But they are the Chinese version of the AK so not very popular in airsoft especially if you are recreating Communist bloc.    

Well although Albania used the type 56 they weren't Warsaw Pact. I think the LCT or CYMA ak will be my choice, in lovely two tone 🤢🤢

14 minutes ago, Commie_1990 said:

Well although Albania used the type 56 they weren't Warsaw Pact. I think the LCT or CYMA ak will be my choice, in lovely two tone

Well, I believe Albania was for a time in the Warsaw Pact but they renounce ties with them soviet union and focused on fostering a relationship with the Communist Chinese ( I could be wrong, however). Well, good luck with whatever AK you go for. I would wait for your UKARA but that up to you.

Just now, Sniper780 said:

Well, I believe Albania was for a time in the Warsaw Pact but they renounce ties with them soviet union and focused on fostering a relationship with the Communist Chinese ( I could be wrong, however). Well, good look with whatever AK you go for. I would wait for your UKARA but that up to you.

To be honest I probably won't build the kit till after I get my UKARA, and I think Albania left the communist bloc in the mid sixties?! I may also be wrong however 

1 minute ago, Commie_1990 said:

To be honest I probably won't build the kit till after I get my UKARA, and I think Albania left the communist bloc in the mid sixties?! I may also be wrong however 

Will probably have to brush up on my Warsaw Pact/ Soviet Union History. Are your part of the Northen Pact FB Lots of  Soviet/ Warsaw Pact/ Russian Airsoft people on there may be of interest to you for loadout- ideas or hard to find equipment.  

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

E&L AKs are an OK what with the near full travel bolt and Russian red coloration on the wood versions, but if you want the most realistic AEG AK in my opinion. Then the Real Sword Type 56 series of AK is the best it full steel which is blued just like the original one. It is 1:1 they even designed a gearbox to fit the real steel receivers. But they are the Chinese version of the AK so not very popular in airsoft especially if you are recreating  Eastern Europe Communist bloc.    

i remember hearing the early real sword stuff even had traces of the original chamber cut in the barrel.

besides it's airsoft, we tend to allow "close enough" most of the time :D

13 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

Will probably have to brush up on my Warsaw Pact/ Soviet Union History. Are your part of the Northen Pact FB Lots of  Soviet/ Warsaw Pact/ Russian Airsoft people on there may be of interest to you for loadout- ideas or hard to find equipment.  

I'll check it out, see what's there. The only thing I can't seem to find is webbing and mag pouches 

2 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i remember hearing the early real sword stuff even had traces of the original chamber cut in the barrel.

Exaclty 🤣

9 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

There were pictures that had RS type 56 dissembled with barrels that still had rifling but that what you get from a rumored subsidiary of Norinco.

25 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

There were pictures that had RS type 56 dissembled with barrels that still had rifling but that what you get from a rumored subsidiary of Norinco.

At least with rifling the bb will go further 

1 minute ago, Commie_1990 said:

At least with rifling the bb will go further 

That was when they removed the inner barrel, unfortunately, I do not know how effective it will be without the inner barrel, the later models of RS also sadly no longer have real steel rifle barrels.

19 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

That was when they removed the inner barrel, unfortunately, I do not know how effective it will be without the inner barrel, the later models of RS also sadly no longer have real steel rifle barrels.

I might get their bullpup rifle the type 95? 

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

i find it hard to beleive, that's some very deep rifling grooves for 7.62 if they're bigger than 8.5mm which is a standard airsoft barrel.

hence why i said chamber cut.

15 minutes ago, Commie_1990 said:

I might get their bullpup rifle the type 95? 

Real Sword only do the Type 97 which is the export version of type 95 as the type 95 even airsoft is banned for export by the Chinese government but rs type 97 is a good rif. you can do a DIY version of type 95.

10 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i find it hard to beleive, that's some very deep rifling grooves for 7.62 if they're bigger than 8.5mm which is a standard airsoft barrel.

hence why i said chamber cut.

That what was claimed years ago I do believe the rifling was not present all the way just partially.

Archived