War and Peace Revival on Netflix's Dark Tourist

Dentonboy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Once again, the subject of the Far Right and Facism rears its head at Beltring. 

Have spoken about this before on Arnies and whilst I think having elements of the Axis represented at the W&P Show is wholly relevant and necessary, the Nazi merchandise for sale - Hitler mugs, badges, flags and t shirts is in very poor taste and doesn't help the image of the show in the slightest. 

I do not like seeing SS uniforms on show or being worn either, but understand why they are there. 

Any how, the W&P Show is on Dark Tourist, not sure if for a full episode, but hey, if you have been to Beltring, your mug may well be on Netflix... 

• Supporters

One of my Airsoft Buddies is a professional singer, his band are a 1920s band and they headline War and Peace regularly. (We get free tickets 😁)

At my previous job we used to do the set up for War and Peace, thoroughly enjoyed setting it up in 3 feet of mud.

But it I do agree, over the last few years it has changed hugely, for the worse I would say. Yeah, your right I don’t want to see it either, but I know it’s necessary, but the issue is the people. Some of them are genuine blokes who just want to be historically accurate, the others are there just to wind people up.

For anyone who hasn’t been, it’s well worth a trip.

If your in 2 minds about going, definitely watch this Dark tourist!

There was a documentary called weekend nazis which featured a Nazi themed wedding at the war and peace show! 

Edit : the wedding wasn’t actually at the war and peace show but people from the show attended and it was nearby! Give it a google it’s quite interesting.

Yes, it was that programme which sparked the last discussion on Arnie's. 

Sadly a few right wing prats use the show as a way of displaying their true colours in a setting which allows it readily. 

• Supporters

I disagree with the need for prats parading around in SS kit, yeah while we can't disprove their existence in ww2, they weren't involved in the "normal" fighting associated with war, instead being 100% involved in enabling the Nazi master plan (obviously there were times when they fought allied units, but that was either by chance or in the dying days of the Reich), so reenactors, or whatever they call themselves at w&p etc, should stick to the regular military unit uniforms, & not glorify the darker side of the conflict.

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, Tackle said:

while we can't disprove their existence in ww2

I expect some of them deny that the holocaust happened, so we could give it a try.

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

I disagree with the need for prats parading around in SS kit, yeah while we can't disprove their existence in ww2, they weren't involved in the "normal" fighting associated with war, instead being 100% involved in enabling the Nazi master plan (obviously there were times when they fought allied units, but that was either by chance or in the dying days of the Reich), so reenactors, or whatever they call themselves at w&p etc, should stick to the regular military unit uniforms, & not glorify the darker side of the conflict.

Hi mate, 

The SS did a lot of fighting in WW2, they were quite prominant in ‘normal’ fight hence the panzer divisions etc! 

Ive actually been reading about the Wehrmacht and the SS recently! Do look a bit strange sitting by the pool reading it....

image.jpg

• Supporters

Apparently I stand corrected, tbh id forgotten about their prominence within the panzer divisions, BUT I also stand by my first post regarding their notoriety as "the cruel tool of the Reich's worst atrocities", both planned & incidental, which is why its so wrong for these eedjits to strut around in the full ss regalia, even if the person wearing the kit isn't personally a diehard far right fascist, by parading around as they do it can appear to glorify & give credence to the SS historically.

Thing is, if somebody was to ask me my opinion of the GERMAN "war machine", i'll admit that on many levels they were literally awesome, their advancements in military technology & development were way far advanced compared to any other nation, much of which is still utilized today, & their forces were like a well drilled/oiled machine, but for pretty much the rest of the world uniting against the axis armies we'd all be talking German today, which is what should be remembered, not the other stuff.

I expect there's also a similar mind set to that that we see within airsoft, Vietnam games are a good example, where most of the US forces turn up wearing tigerstripe & waving m733's around, where as in the real conflict such special forces were very thin on the ground.

Lol, everybody wants to be special forces, but most of them are just "Speshul".

1 hour ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

Hi mate, 

The SS did a lot of fighting in WW2, they were quite prominant in ‘normal’ fight hence the panzer divisions etc! 

Ive actually been reading about the Wehrmacht and the SS recently! Do look a bit strange sitting by the pool reading it....

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

Apparently I stand corrected, tbh id forgotten about their prominence within the panzer divisions, BUT I also stand by my first post regarding their notoriety as "the cruel tool of the Reich's worst atrocities", both planned & incidental, which is why its so wrong for these eedjits to strut around in the full ss regalia, even if the person wearing the kit isn't personally a diehard far right fascist, by parading around as they do it can appear to glorify & give credence to the SS historically.

Thing is, if somebody was to ask me my opinion of the GERMAN "war machine", i'll admit that on many levels they were literally awesome, their advancements in military technology & development were way far advanced compared to any other nation, much of which is still utilized today, & their forces were like a well drilled/oiled machine, but for pretty much the rest of the world uniting against the axis armies we'd all be talking German today, which is what should be remembered, not the other stuff.

I expect there's also a similar mind set to that that we see within airsoft, Vietnam games are a good example, where most of the US forces turn up wearing tigerstripe & waving m733's around, where as in the real conflict such special forces were very thin on the ground.

Lol, everybody wants to be special forces, but most of them are just "Speshul".

Haha man, totally agree! SS were a fighting force but there were some units specially dedicated to the nasty bits! I’m okay with say someone dressing up as a member of the 2nd Das Reich, but anything more sinister is a no no!

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

The SS did a lot of fighting in WW2

They certainly did a lot of glorious, heroic dying in droves for ze Vaterland, but that's not how you win wars.

56 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

They certainly did a lot of glorious, heroic dying in droves for ze Vaterland, but that's not how you win wars.

They came close to winning the war, if it wasn’t for the Russians we’d be deutsch sprechen!

1 hour ago, Dentonboy said:

"Are we the...bad guys!?!" 

Love that sketch!😂

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

They came close to winning the war

The Waffen SS didn't.  The actual Wehrmacht viewed them with well earned contempt.  Ideological indoctrination and a zeal for sacrifice for the Leader is a poor substitute for actual military training and  zeal for making the other poor bastard sacrifice himself for his Leader.

10 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

The Waffen SS didn't.  The actual Wehrmacht viewed them with well earned contempt.  Ideological indoctrination and a zeal for sacrifice for the Leader is a poor substitute for actual military training and  zeal for making the other poor bastard sacrifice himself for his Leader.

Easy war the indoctrination didn’t work, but late war it did! Relentless to surrender made them a formidable force. There’s no doubt about it, the SS were best fighting force of the war.

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

There’s no doubt about it, the SS were best fighting force of the war.

Uh huh.

Comes now the rationalisation about why they got their Teutonic arses handed to them again and again and again and again and again, despite being worth 10 untermensch each, if only they'd had the equipment / support / wunderwaffe that they deserved.

14 hours ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

Easy war the indoctrination didn’t work, but late war it did! Relentless to surrender made them a formidable force. There’s no doubt about it, the SS were best fighting force of the war.

Best against whom? 

• Supporters
40 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

Best against whom? 

Unarmed starving Jewish people usually 😉

Think this topic has gone waaay off topic now, lets go back to talking about "ignorant dicks, usually grossly overweight, wearing items of clothing at public events that are pretty much guaranteed to cause offense"

AND NO I DONT MEAN US 😜

Airsoft-Putting-The-Special-ewx311-550x447.jpg

1 hour ago, Dentonboy said:

Best against whom? 

I guess maybe my statement wasn’t the most accurate, they are regarded as the best fighting force as they could be very effective due to their sheer determination and their greater unit cohesion amongst other things but I guess it comes down to opinion and at the end of the day they did lose so can’t have been so great!  If they weren’t a superior fighting force compared with most Wehrmacht/Heer divisions then they wouldn’t have been deployed in the tougher spots like they were but then so were the grossdeutchland divisions😂

This thread has drifted slightly so yeah let’s go back to the war and peace show, I felt quite out of place in my shorts when everyone and their mother was in some sort of SS Tunic😂😂

• Supporters

tbh i don't think ss uniforms are that bad.

well to clarify they are that bad, but the one thing we should try and remember is the distinction between the regular german forces/people who are a nice bunch for the most part and the proper die hard nutcases who really were evil.

yes an ss uniform should make us uncomfortable, that's the point, and i think sometimes we need to be reminded where civilised humanity can end up when it gets pushed hard enough in the wrong direction. this is why the atrocities of ww2 are so shocking because it's not some alien foreign country, the germans are just like us, the shared culture is staggering, and what really scares us is realising we could end up doing the same thing if given the right motivation.

2 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tbh i don't think ss uniforms are that bad.

well to clarify they are that bad, but the one thing we should try and remember is the distinction between the regular german forces/people who are a nice bunch for the most part and the proper die hard nutcases who really were evil.

yes an ss uniform should make us uncomfortable, that's the point, and i think sometimes we need to be reminded where civilised humanity can end up when it gets pushed hard enough in the wrong direction. this is why the atrocities of ww2 are so shocking because it's not some alien foreign country, the germans are just like us, the shared culture is staggering, and what really scares us is realising we could end up doing the same thing if given the right motivation.

Same boat for me! 

SS uniforms don’t bother me, it’s just the fact more people enjoy dressing up as the SS than as regular Heer or British forces etc. 

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

SS uniforms don’t bother me, it’s just the fact more people enjoy dressing up as the SS than as regular Heer or British forces etc. 

i take the view at least these people are making it easy to identify them, i'd rather the devil i can see than the one i can't.

also i completely realise the irony of my username/profile pic :P

• Supporters
22 hours ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

they are regarded as the best fighting force

By whom?

Salient to the thread because it speaks to the Übermensch mythology which attracts some (not all, I'm sure) people to LARP as SS.

Of course, the real bestest fighting force was the Japanese, because they had katanas folded a billion times which could slice through machine gun barrels.  And tanks. And battleships.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

Of course, the real bestest fighting force was the Japanese, because they had katanas folded a billion times which could slice through machine gun barrels.  And tanks. And battleships.

i always assumed the reason the jap officers used swords was because their alternative was having to use the nambu, and not being totally suicidal they decided the sword would be more effective :D

53 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

By whom?

Everyone? The author of my book? Me? Most people? My dad?

I don’t buy into all the übermensch, I’m speaking from the point of view of someone solely interested in their effectiveness in war.

Archived