CO2 revolver maintenance questions

neptun
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello. I recently bought asg dan wesson 715 6" revolver as my first airsoft weapon. I have great fun with it but as i am new in airsoft i have few questions regarding the maintenance and proper operation with the gun.

1. I know that CO2 is dry gas and it does not have lubricant in it unlike green gas. In my instruction manual they say to apply silicone spray on one of the BBs before every shooting. Many other people say to just apply small amount of pellgun oil on the top of the co2 cartridge which will provide lubrication of all internals of the weapon. I also see that there are some co2 lubrication cartridges sold by different manufacturers. So what is best according to you? Pellgun oil, silicone spray on the BB, both of them or just to use lubrication cartridges? I personally lean towards pellgun oil or lubrication cartridges as this will help for all internals lubrication and not only the barrel like spray on the BB but your help is greatly appreciated.

2. I see that some people clean the original lube from the moving parts of the gun and replace it with silicone spray. Is that needed or i can stay with the original state? If it needs replacement what do you use for replacement and on which parts?

3. How do you prepare your weapon for long period of storage? I know that i should remove the co2 cartridge when i finish shooting and i ordered case where i will be able to store it safely but are there other steps to be done? For example do you apply some silicone spray or pellgun oil to the co2 valve to prevent dryout of the seal during long storage? Or you just remove the co2 cartridge, clean the gun from dirt and pack it?

Thank you in advance for the help and have a good day. :)

1. Lubrication cartridges are a good idea. Use one every 10 CO2 cartridges or so. It also good to use a little bit of silicon spray on the cartridge seal and rarely but sometimes in the internals. Maybe after a game or skirmish.

2. No. Leave the lubrication that the gun came with. After lots of use it may build up gunk over time so you can clear it out then. But if new, don't clean it out. 

3. Spray a little oil on the seal, but if you have been properly maintaining the gun then it should be alright for long periods of storage. When pulling it back out give it a few test shots, and if necessary use a lubrication cartridge. 

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the reply. Just one more question - which is better for the cartridge seal (pellgun oil or silicone spray)? 

• 4 months later...

pellgun oil seems to be the most readily available in America, not sure if one is actually better than the other, could be preference, not 100% sure. I just use silicone oil on my revolver's seal and on the Co2 prior to use, each time.

For longer storage the Umarex german guy's video suggests that every 3 months just shoot a Walther Maintenance Capsule just to keep it lubed, amazon link below:

Walther Lubricating Capsules Link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Umarex-Walther-Maintenance-Capsules-x5/dp/B0054YAE2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546282658&sr=8-1&keywords=walther+co2+maintenance

Archived