Opinions on the KWA MK23 GBB Pistol.

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all. 

I am after a second pistol, my strike warrior is wonderful, but thinking I would like something a little different. 

Love the MK23 due to its use in Metal Gear Solid and the original time crisis. But interested in the KWA blowback version more then anything else. 

Does anyone have any insight into the KWA MK23 or KWA pistols in general? How does it perform? Failure rate? Easy to repair?

Does it have much recoil? Is it worth the cost? (£175+)

Cheers all!

Very cool gun as I love metal gear too. The pistol itself though is crap. I had its little brother the usp tactical and a pair of usp match’s (went with my tomb raider hot pants) and they are borderline useless. The hop up couldn’t apply virtually any hop and it wasn’t very gas efficient.

the mk23 will be even less efficient as it has an extra inch of slide to move and the longer inner barrel means the FPS is usually too hot. 

33 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Very cool gun as I love metal gear too. The pistol itself though is crap. I had its little brother the usp tactical and a pair of usp match’s (went with my tomb raider hot pants) and they are borderline useless. The hop up couldn’t apply virtually any hop and it wasn’t very gas efficient.

the mk23 will be even less efficient as it has an extra inch of slide to move and the longer inner barrel means the FPS is usually too hot. 

That is a crying shame, especially with the price being so high. Maybe I just need to stick with getting the TM... Usually I prefer plastic pistols anyway, but the NBB MK23's just feel....awful. 

8 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

That is a crying shame, especially with the price being so high. Maybe I just need to stick with getting the TM... Usually I prefer plastic pistols anyway, but the NBB MK23's just feel....awful. 

The Tm mk23 is a double edged sword. The trigger feel is absolutely horrible due to the nature of the action and it’s plastic, but it can be made to shoot for miles. I wish someone would make a gbb mk23 that isn’t KWA

1 minute ago, Wo1f said:

The Tm mk23 is a double edged sword. The trigger feel is absolutely horrible due to the nature of the action and it’s plastic, but it can be made to shoot for miles. I wish someone would make a gbb mk23 that isn’t KWA

And here is me about to receive my new KWA Gas blowback Tavor ;) Though they have said it has a redesigned Hop unit. 

1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

And here is me about to receive my new KWA Gas blowback Tavor ;) Though they have said it has a redesigned Hop unit. 

The GBBR’s don’t matter. I have a guy 😉

very interested in what you think about it when it comes.

I had 2 of them + 1 for spares.

Avoid it.

The notch in the slide where the slide catch engages will wear down so fast. It will start off as the 90° angle it is meant to be, but quickly begins to turn into a slope until it eventually no longer locks back. You would then either have to file it back down to a 90° (which will then wear even quicker than before) or replace the slide entirely. Unfortunately, they made them out of crappy pot metal. RATech do a steel slide (though it hasn't been produced in a while) but that is very heavy and the gas efficiency will drop down to pointless levels.

Other than that, it looks cool.

• 5 weeks later...

Bit Late to the party here...but

I actually recently acquired one, also bought it too due to my love for the MGS games and the awesome look, the only thing I can say so far, is the external build quality is absolutely out of this world, more so than any other pistol i've had, that's the one thing the price tag does have going for it.

I did own a KWA USP.45 tactical, but the frame on the MK23 is properly stippled for an amazing grip, additionally the trigger on the MK23 one of the best triggers i've felt SA or DA

However I'm yet to skirmish it, though what's been said here makes me rather worried... 

Due to their rarity paid out my absolute a** for it (£185) for it new, the only useable holster is the DTD mk23 3d printed one too, So I've got a silly investment to be making before I can even play with it.

I'll be skirmishing it relatively soon, And i'll update my own thoughts on it.

2 hours ago, Pigeon_Haris said:

Bit Late to the party here...but

I actually recently acquired one, also bought it too due to my love for the MGS games and the awesome look, the only thing I can say so far, is the external build quality is absolutely out of this world, more so than any other pistol i've had, that's the one thing the price tag does have going for it.

I did own a KWA USP.45 tactical, but the frame on the MK23 is properly stippled for an amazing grip, additionally the trigger on the MK23 one of the best triggers i've felt SA or DA

However I'm yet to skirmish it, though what's been said here makes me rather worried... 

Due to their rarity paid out my absolute a** for it (£185) for it new, the only useable holster is the DTD mk23 3d printed one too, So I've got a silly investment to be making before I can even play with it.

I'll be skirmishing it relatively soon, And i'll update my own thoughts on it.

Have you chrono’d it? You’ll probably find it’s hot. 

On 21/08/2018 at 11:36, Wo1f said:

you can get metal slides for the tm now. Its a different kettle of fish to a gbb ,comes into its own over a gbb in the right situations .I like to carry both , gbb (hk45) and nbb mk23 although I would never get the kwa mk23.

I’ve never seen these mental slides anywhere. I wish Tm or VFC would make a gbb version. It’s the most extensively tested military handgun in the world. You’d think everyone would make them

11 hours ago, Wo1f said:

Have you chrono’d it? You’ll probably find it’s hot. 

No, but that will be my fear with green gas/propane.

As mentioned, the slide is very very heavy for what it is, and struggles to run a single mag without serious cooldown issues. though I do think the NS2/S7 NPAS for the KWA MP7 is compatible with this nozzle in regards to chrono issues

The issue could be solved by using Red/Black Gas, but I don't know what that will mean for the longevity of the internals (though a quick magnet test reveals most of the trigger assembly to be made of steel or strong type metal)

I really love this thing and you're right, i'm amazed every company hasn't made a mk23 to the point its become the other glock, given it's real life history.

I'm willing to do my best to get it in fighting shape come rain or shine, I'll update with chrono results and first experiences within the coming weeks when I get to play hopefully 

also off topic, I read your guide on the MWS and holy crap it's an absolute goldmine of information, really huge thanks for that. you'll help me to take my MWS to the next level!

What you can do is fit the inner barrel from its little brother, the usp tactical. That should get your FPS under if needs be. 

Im glad the thread is of use. Get your spec up on there if you haven’t already 

Whats needed is the old KSC Version as it had a plastic slide rather than the pot metal on its KWA Brother.  Wish RA Tech would make the steel slide again, along with CO2 mags, that would be best all round. :)

43 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Whats needed is the old KSC Version as it had a plastic slide rather than the pot metal on its KWA Brother.  Wish RA Tech would make the steel slide again, along with CO2 mags, that would be best all round. :)

And a proper hop unit..

Archived