How many of you store guns with empty mag in?

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I don't leave them in the gun.

I empty mid caps completely, for high caps I just empty the the ones causing tension on the spring.

Cheers

G

I think he means keeping a magazine in the gun, I take mines out, otherwise they don’t fit in the case. But I doubt there’s any tension on the spring. At least on my M4, with a mag in the catch is still flush on the left side so I don’t think it would cause issues

• Supporters

Leave them out, one less factor to worry about, which could in turn lead to a "negligent discharge" 😉

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

What about pistols? Do you ever leave empty mags in?

Nope , no batteries, no mags , no moscarts , nothing at all as Tackle said anything left in any gun is one step closer to a negligent discharge.👍

• Supporters

There's absolutely no upside or advantage to leaving mags in guns, but from a safety perspective it only makes sense to remove them.  Hell it's easier for storage in most situations anyway.

7 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Nope , no batteries, no mags , no moscarts , nothing at all as Tackle said anything left in any gun is one step closer to a negligent discharge.👍

Same, mags out, pistol mags are kept gassed, batteries removed and stored in an ammo box along with my RC Lipos.

yeah do not keep gas pistol mags in they should be kept with some gas in and you are just asking for a accidental discharge with a forgotten bb in the chamber 

1 minute ago, BigStew said:

yeah do not keep gas pistol mags in they should be kept with some gas in and you are just asking for a accidental discharge with a forgotten bb in the chamber 

My .177 air pistol has been gassed and loaded for 5 years. I change the CO2 bulb every six months.

Oops.

• Supporters

And I've just remembered that I've got a timed BFG in the garage, armed and with a blank still in it, because I couldn't unscrew the cap at the end of the day on Sunday.  I should probably do something about that before the wife or the cats find it...

Might be a bit OTT but I keep all RIFs the same as real steel, no mags in the same place, batteries are in fireproof cabinet and  some have trigger locks.

The amount of people I know or have heard of that have been broken into (I myself have been burgled twice) I won’t run the risk of anything anymore! 

Used to lock my motor bike bike in my garage ground anchored then had scaffold bars across the width that were locked into the walls...

Some say OTT I say looking after what I’ve earned my money for. Bit more of an in depth answer but the short one I think you are looking for about if it affects your rifs... won’t make a difference so crack on if that’s what you want to do but I would say what’s the point. You have to take them out before you get to a site safe zone so just keep them out. Having them in serves literally no purpose.

• Supporters

That or make sure it’s the last thing they do. Only had someone try it once. They got what was due to them. 

Nothing illegal, just something to make them regret it.

1 hour ago, Prisce said:

That or make sure it’s the last thing they do. Only had someone try it once. They got what was due to them. 

Nothing illegal, just something to make them regret it.

Yeah I may or may not have the means to make whoever tries to rob from me involuntarily shit themselves.. all legal but it makes even my sphincter pulsate 

• Supporters
7 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Yeah I may or may not have the means to make whoever tries to rob from me involuntarily shit themselves.. all legal but it makes even my sphincter pulsate 

Exactly. 

• 2 weeks later...

My magazine rule is to emply any BB's that cause tension on spring, so all pistol BB's and Midcaps. I don't store my M4 mags in my RIF but I do store a mag in my pistol.

I sleep with my RIF in my bed. My other half thinks it’s weird. It’s not a problem anymore though she sleeps in the spare bed. Don’t worry though I leave the safety on and wear eyepro. 🤓 🤣

I have some perspex pistol stands to display my guns in a little glass cabinet.

They tend to look better with the mags attached.

Especially if they have polymer frames.

Just wondering about weakening the mag release springs.

Still, I expect they are easily replaceable.

Archived