CQB Pain

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Generally closer engagement distances = much pain.

Seem to be sub 10m where I'm playing at the mo.

I play bare armed a lot, so I'm not bothered about that.

It's torso shots that hurt like fuck.

At the mo I'm just using a gillet or sometimes a hoodie...

I don't want to Fry either!!

What do peeps peeps wear in CQB to help reduce the sting?

TIA

P.s. I forgot to say- I'm somewhat rotund, so not sure how much a pc would actually cover...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Honestly, me and the guys have done DTW in Colchester twice now(site isn’t 10m square) the longest distance shot I have received there is possibly 3m.

I got shot in the trigger finger, that I had broken, at 3 feet, no gloves(only game I forgot to put them on for), I jumped around like a little girl.

I got shot point blank, felt the gas burn more than the BB, from a CO2 CZP09, that seriously hurt.

We did all of this in shorts and a T-shirt. Think I was in more pain here than I have ever been airsofting. 

But its it’s so so much fun. The best way to reduce the pain is to change your play style, (read get shot less). First game at DTW I didn’t get shot once. But I was sneaking around learning the site and shooting form places they couldn’t see me.

Second time I went in guns blazing, running and gunning, and came out with chicken pox. 

I dont think wearing more layers gives you the pain benefit your after without reducing manoeuvrability. 

As above, changing your play style will reduce your hits dramatically if you get it right. 

Your options are more layers (baggier the better), vest/PC or what a lot don’t consider is motocross body armour. It’s essentially a really thin plastic plate that protects riders from the stones the bike in front spits up. (If you think a bb hurts, get hit in the chest with half a brick 😂). It’s thin and can be worn under a hoody. 

5 minutes ago, Prisce said:

I dont think wearing more layers gives you the pain benefit your after without reducing manoeuvrability. 

The run and gun is me- all guns blazing!

You make a good point about protection Vs manoeuvrability.

I play in shorts+ bare arms- it's just the torso. Pisses me off- especially seems to happen when our be already shot the other player... 

14 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

As above, changing your play style will reduce your hits dramatically if you get it right. 

Your options are more layers (baggier the better), vest/PC or what a lot don’t consider is motocross body armour. It’s essentially a really thin plastic plate that protects riders from the stones the bike in front spits up. (If you think a bb hurts, get hit in the chest with half a brick 😂). It’s thin and can be worn under a hoody. 

There you go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STERN-MOTOCROSS-ENDURO-BODY-ARMOUR-JACKET-SUIT-ORANGE-XXXL/230624109549?epid=858677611&hash=item35b244a3ed:g:lJgAAOxy7RBRXqCr

Two toned for those who don't have UKARA 😉

• Supporters

That style of body armour does work well, and won't over-heat you as much as thick textiles.  I wore it on my first day until I discovered that getting (very briefly) hurt was actually a big part of the experience, and I've seen a few folk wear it since.

Not to stir up this hornet's nest again, but you are going to ignore some hits while wearing it, or a plate carrier, or even a stiff tacticool vest.  Yes, you are.  You can't feel everything that hits, and you can't hear everything that you don't feel, and anyone who asserts that you absolutely can is definitely for sure a Sith.

Just get some form of under armour or NikePro w/e the brand.

It creates a small layer that takes some of the sting off the BB hitting bare skin, plus you can barely feel youre wearing it.

• Supporters
57 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Duck Tape. Always duct tape. Or WD40. They fix everything 😎

You forgot cable ties!

I used to sometimes marshall a cqb site and one of the main issues, usually the same guys, were calling out too close engagements when they got whacked or layering up so much that it created 'sorry, i didnt realise I'd been hit, i didnt feel it mate' issues. 

I dont often post up but one of the reasons i enjoy airsoft(and previously paintball), is that you have to adapt and learn constantly. As said above, get shot less. Part of the game is the hit/pain, its your present for getting spotted/making noise/being jonny hero. 

Ultimately no one wants to leave looking like a leper, but I regularly play with a long sleeve compression top, t shirt and a plate carrier, you hear body shots and feel arm shots, but the lycra generally stops the welts from breaking the skin surface. (Apologies for the long read)

• Supporters

Best way is to start small, get a cheap springer from bbgunz4less and get a mate to shoot you close.

Then work your way up until you can take a mgl full of 40 mikes at 3 feet and you'll be golden.

• Supporters

A lightweight ‘SAS’ type smock is what you need , can get them in different colours you won’t get overly hot in it and as long as it’s nice and baggy (as there ment to be) then it’ll slow the B.B. down enough that it takes the real hurt out of it but not enough you don’t feel the sting .

Mmm CQB Pain 😋

IMG_20180818_095946.jpg

• Supporters

Loose fitting layers, doesn't take thick or heavy fabric it just has to hang a bit loose to absorb the energy of the beebs.  That's literally all there is to it.  If there isn't a decent air gap between your current jacket or shirt and your torso you'll end up taking almost all of the energy, the more of a gap there is the greater the energy in the shot is spread through the fabric, like when you shoot a curtain.  A loose BDU/PCS shirt will do that well, or if you stick to civvies then take your pick of any garment you like.

Way cheaper and lighter with none of the heat retention of any sort of armour and you won't get whinged at near as much because people perceive PCs and Armour far differently.  Also with any sort of armour you'll always get hit were it isn't - not that that actually happens you just notice those hits far more.  As I've mentioned on here before, pain is no reason to go tanking up like a juggernaut because apart from anything you'll be a slow, hot, sweaty mess and have a bad day when certain people scream at you for hit taking (which will happen more regardless of what the reality is in either direction).

Played in a t-shirt the other week. Came back looking like I had been stung by a swarm of wasps.

Usually takes a couple of weeks before the marks have fully cleared up.

• Supporters

Totally agree you’ll cook like a turkey at Christmas in a PC or any other rig and with the baggy clothing advice that’s been given it’s common sense but I really don’t get the “wear somthing like an under armour shirt” advice , I’ve seen that advice given out on a couple of different forums and what not but what’s that all about ? it’s not going to dissipate the energy from the hit so will hurt just as much as a bare skin hit ? So just a ‘tad’ confused with that one ! 😳

Plenty say “stop being a pussy ! Man up ! or don’t play if you can’t take it !” (Most light heartedly some not so?) me personally? If I can avoid the pain I will , too many years playing rugby taught me what real pain from a sport your passionate about is (how often do you see S’ofters out cold on the floor , with gashes to the head that leaves claret running down there face or leaving the game with broken bones ?) So for me if someone says “I don’t play CQB because it hurts too much” or “what kit can I wear so it won’t hurt so much ?” Then as long as there not bitching and shouting at you or the other players in the game because it DOES hurt then I certainly won’t feel anything less of them for saying so or asking for advice .

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Druid799 said:

I really don’t get the “wear somthing like an under armour shirt” advice , I’ve seen that advice given out on a couple of different forums and what not but what’s that all about ? it’s not going to dissipate the energy from the hit so will hurt just as much as a bare skin hit ? So just a ‘tad’ confused with that one !

It doesn't help with the pain but it does mean you get bruises rather than gouges.  Not really answering OP's question though, I agree.

• Supporters
On 18/08/2018 at 15:35, Druid799 said:

A lightweight ‘SAS’ type smock is what you need , can get them in different colours you won’t get overly hot in it and as long as it’s nice and baggy (as there ment to be) then it’ll slow the B.B. down enough that it takes the real hurt out of it but not enough you don’t feel the sting .

There was a guy at The Mall yesterday wearing exactly this. Seemed to be coated with Teflon too.

Anything too baggy or heavy will take so much out of it that you'll end up not feeling the hits. 

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Lozart said:

There was a guy at The Mall yesterday wearing exactly this. Seemed to be coated with Teflon too.

Anything too baggy or heavy will take so much out of it that you'll end up not feeling the hits. 

Yep loose clothing is as much of an issue as body armour maybe more.

Anything you wear should be good for transmitting hits and if the pain is an issue then maybe a game that involves shooting each other with a bb gun was not the best choice of hobby.

23 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Totally agree you’ll cook like a turkey at Christmas in a PC or any other rig and with the baggy clothing advice that’s been given it’s common sense but I really don’t get the “wear somthing like an under armour shirt” advice , I’ve seen that advice given out on a couple of different forums and what not but what’s that all about ? it’s not going to dissipate the energy from the hit so will hurt just as much as a bare skin hit ? So just a ‘tad’ confused with that one ! 😳

Plenty say “stop being a pussy ! Man up ! or don’t play if you can’t take it !” (Most light heartedly some not so?) me personally? If I can avoid the pain I will , too many years playing rugby taught me what real pain from a sport your passionate about is (how often do you see S’ofters out cold on the floor , with gashes to the head that leaves claret running down there face or leaving the game with broken bones ?) So for me if someone says “I don’t play CQB because it hurts too much” or “what kit can I wear so it won’t hurt so much ?” Then as long as there not bitching and shouting at you or the other players in the game because it DOES hurt then I certainly won’t feel anything less of them for saying so or asking for advice .

17 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

It doesn't help with the pain but it does mean you get bruises rather than gouges.  Not really answering OP's question though, I agree.

I usually wear UA as a base layer as they are comfortable and stop any form of chaffing (if you are prone to that) the good thing about UA stuff is like Rog said, takes away a lot of the skin splitting just leaving bruising. Being quite extensively covered in tattoos I try to avoid anything where the skin can split for whatever reason but if I cant... oh well such is life! I've found that if you don't pick at the scabs and just keep moisturizing the ones that have scabbed up tattoos don't get damaged.

45 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Anything you wear should be good for transmitting hits and if the pain is an issue then maybe a game that involves shooting each other with a bb gun was not the best choice of hobby.

Interesting thought. I guess I'll just quit then.
I guess I'm a pussy for wearing a helmet/full face and not just nutting that TRMR back at the opponent the other week.
I play in shorts and bare arms. Pain is not a massive problem, on the whole. 
My question was around attempting to reduce the level of pain when shot in the torso, not remove.
I get pissed off when I get shot and it hurts, especially after the person is already dead, because I've shot them.
I shot someone last week, and after he came over to talk to me, as we were chatting, he said "oh are we not on the same team? - I said no and he shot me twice in the stomach from about three foot. It hurt a great deal - even more so cos the fucker was dead. I would perhaps, have not been quite as angry about it, had there been a little bit of protection there.
And my own team shooting me in the back. That hurts more than it would otherwise, as you're not looking out for shots from your own team. Again, something to limit the pain of that.
Ah well. Thanks for the advice.
Crochet here I come!

Archived