Footwear for cqb.

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Strong military style boots seem like overkill for indoor venues, but ankle support is also useful.

I started with boots and grew to hate them. So I switched to lightweight trainers.

Is there a decent compromise between the two which allow good speed and general mobility but also provide decent protection against ankle injury?

• Supporters

Merrell do a lightweight "Tactical" version of the MOAB boot, higher collar than the walking boot but just as light and with the same sole (Blacks do them). Otherwise it's tactical hi-tops like the Under Armor Valsetz or lightweight boots like the Lowa Zephyr.

• Supporters

I prefer boots as the tread is more able to swallow up BBs rather than doing cartoon slippery skids on them.  Last time I wore trainers I had a few near oopsies, and we had a marshal wearing trainers take a tumble recently.

tumblr_n6mwrcxWb31rmb5ino1_400.gif

So that's a nope, it's stompy boots for me all the time now.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Interloper393 said:

I use karrimor hiking boots, there soft and supportive and also have great grip, waterproof too :)

These.. they are great

Screenshot_2018-08-16-11-13-27.png

+1 to this. I do exactly the same.

• Supporters

Can’t go far wrong with a pair of lightweight Karimor hikers from sports direct , best thing is they have them in half sizes as well so you can really fit the right ones to your feet , have a few pairs in different colors.👍

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mount-mid-mens-walking-boots-182105?colcode=18210522

683571BD-1382-4540-A282-FF335A3F35E6.jpeg

I can recommend Adidas GSG9s as being lightweight and flexible whilst still giving the support of a proper boot. 

If not Underarmour Valsets, Merrel MOABs or any generic low cut (or high cut if not rigid) light weight walking boot would be good for support, flexibility and speed.

Alot of studies at the minute are starting to suggest high cut boots are very bad for your achielles. Especially if they are rigid round the back.

5 hours ago, mcwimbo said:

Seen with mine own eyes!

I've not got the right biff chit though. 

Soon they’ll be no need for a biff chit, they’re going to be issued to all.

• Supporters

If truly 'all' I will be surprised, pleasantly so of course.

Indoor - personally I've spent a lot of time running around in trail running type trainers.  Pretty gap'y soles compared to normal sneaks, so never had an issue with BBs.  I don't personally think 'ankle support' is near as big of a deal as the mythology would imply.  TONS of sports are played at top level in trainers with no ankle support - athletes performing at a level and moving in ways/at such speeds that I'd wager 99% of us here can't even imagine it.  Granted they tend to push for performance and maybe slightly take a risk of injury but for airsoft I've never found I needed boots myself.  If there are any sneaky pot holes at the mall (for example) I've never seen them; I think sealed eye pro is waaaaay more of a safety concern but many people just wear glasses with gaps way larger than a BB around the edges, so everyone makes their own risk assessments.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, CKinnerley said:

I don't personally think 'ankle support' is near as big of a deal as the mythology would imply.  TONS of sports are played at top level in trainers with no ankle support - athletes performing at a level and moving in ways/at such speeds that I'd wager 99% of us here can't even imagine it.  

Playing devils advocate your professional sports man spends hrs training to do this kind of aggressive movement at speed and there lateral/posterior tibiofibular ligaments are ridiculously strong (I know from experience trying to plaster them !) where as ‘joe public S’ofter’ at a Sunday scurmish has tendons that usually have the tensile strength of string cheese ? 😉

But do totally 100% agree on the eye pro point ! 👍

• Supporters
10 hours ago, CKinnerley said:

I think sealed eye pro is waaaaay more of a safety concern

Unsealed and unretained.  When our marshal did his slip-and-slide, his eyepro flew off and that's what actually caused the cease fire and everyone sitting around until he'd been magic sponged and found his glasses again.

Nike SFB's look a good compromise and there were several pairs on eBay recently for <£60.

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Playing devils advocate your professional sports man spends hrs training to do this kind of aggressive movement at speed and there lateral/posterior tibiofibular ligaments are ridiculously strong (I know from experience trying to plaster them !) where as ‘joe public S’ofter’ at a Sunday scurmish has tendons that usually have the tensile strength of string cheese ? 😉

But do totally 100% agree on the eye pro point ! 👍

Yep, there's differences, but I'd imagine the training is somewhat equalised with the huge pressure the joints etc are put under when you're talking olympic level competition and the like.  If people want to wear boots that's entirely fine but I find watching where I step works great and it's a non-issue indoors or in generally flat/smooth urban settings.  Maybe other people have done themselves in on flat surfaces, but again I think if you just pay attention to where/how you move you'll most likely be alright.  I spend all my time in issue boots just feeling restricted and over burdened by the bulk and weight and I have also come close to messing an ankle up by jogging down a rabbit hole, but obviously that was entirely concealed by grass. 

You can also migrate an injury from the ankle to a snapped shin bone with really rigid boots.  Not denying the bone might well be easier to fix long term but there's no magical solution to anything, better to just be careful in the first place and not go for a tumble, certainly when you factor in the injuries that can occur to other areas by just falling over.

• Supporters

Think is mate you’ve shot down your own argument ,

you just pay attention to where/how you move you'll most likely be alright.“ 

you’d need a 6ft flashing sign to get a lot of people to pay attention to there surrounds these days ? But even then there’s still plenty who still wouldn’t see it ! 😳

I think it depends on the individual and their level of fitness.  In my case clumsy and unfit.

I tripped over a root last weekend, just managed to stay upright, and if I wasn't wearing boots, pretty sure my ankle would have been worse for wear.

• Supporters

After breaking my foot playing I would say decent footwear is a must.

If I had been wearing my current boots I doubt my injury would have been any wear near as bad. It is not just about ankle support it is also about the structure of the whole shoe. I was wearing 5.11 boots and when my foot crumpled the sole of the boot collapsed and tore. If that hadn't occured then I probably would have got away with an owie. They did stop my ankle turning though.

If I had been wearing trainers I reckon my ankle would of broke as well as my foot.

Good solid well constructed boots can still allow you to move well you just need to pay a bit more.

Archived