Talk me out of it? (New gun)

Arwen
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Since I started playing airsoft away last year, I've had a bit of a lust for a Winchester Mare's Leg (as used by the lovely Zoë in Firefly/Serenity). I've found out that there are two versions of this gun available for airsoft.

The KTW is a springer, shoots around 220fps and has a ~15 round mag, which you can apparently get more of for quick reloading. This is normally made of wood effect plastic and metal. Although I think you can sometimes buy it with a wood kit.

image.thumb.png.7246fd74addf254e6635459ae57b855e.png

The other is from A&K and is gas powered. all metal and wood. Shoots around 330-360 on green gas apparently. Has an internal mag which holds ~20 bbs. Comes with a "special loading tool" to refill the mag, but I suspect a speed loader will do the job too(?)

image.png.39e2169aa26c70b9dc3be9e1f8cb3075.png

So, anyone got one? Had a shot of one? Thoughts?

I like them both, although would prefer one with real wood. The lack of sights doesn't bother me, I mostly shoot by eye as it is.

I'd probably use it indoors most of the time (in buildings at local outdoor site, at The Depot etc) but possibly for short range outside games too, using it as a primary with my mk23 as a back up! 

To my knowledge I've not shot any KTW or A&K guns, what are peoples thoughts on them as manufacturers? Does one have any better quality control than the other? The A&K is currently in stock in a few places (after being out of stock for months). The KTW I can't see in stock anywhere, but have pinged off a few emails to see about availability. 

I was trying to hold of buying any more guns this year, as I'm trying to save for a house. But... well... it's only money isn't it? :lol:

Out of the two, I’d go for the A&K. Being gas, the lever action will be smooth and light, meaning if you wanted to do all of that fancy spinning stuff, it  would be possible. The external finish is much nicer too. I’ve not owned one, but a guy at my site has one and it’s quite nice. The FPS is also an advantage, and because it isn’t blowback, weaker gas could be used where required. 

The spring one being 220 FPS tells me that they needed to make it that weak to allow the average person to ‘rack’ it efficiently. It’s not like a bolt action where you have all your arm, shoulder and back muscles to help, you just push it out with the outside of your hand/fingers. 

Now in terms of practicality, both of them will be abysmal compared to a normal AEG/gbbr. It’s essentially a single shot shotgun with a tiny ammo capacity and difficult and slow reload. That being said, it’s very cool. If you think you can get on with it, go for it and get some awesome kills. 

3 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

and because it isn’t blowback, weaker gas could be used where required. 

This is handy to know, I wasn't too sure if the gas lower than green gas (duster gas?) would make enough of a difference. 

Interesting thought on the spingers low FPS, I never though of that but it makes perfect sense. 

Oh and I know neither is gonna be a patch on a "proper" rifle. I am mostly thinking of getting it for a bit of a giggle :rolleyes: The past few game days I have played a few short games with pistol only (it was too hot to lug around gear!). I found I actually enjoyed the limited ammo I had ( 2x 24rnd mags) before finding some cover to reload if needed. I'm expecting this to me kinda similar, but having the additional back up of the mk23.  

@Arwen in that case, I say go for it! I use ‘normal’ GBBR’s and getting a kill with one is much more satisfying than with an AEG, so getting kills with that will feel great. It’s properly cool too, I’ve only ever seen 2 in a few years of playing. 

The good thing about the gas one is you could run it on abbey 144 in the summer if needs be to keep it below the limits, and if you wanted to use it in December, just throw some green gas/ propane in it and it will chug along all winter too. Because the action is cycled manually, all of the gas goes to shooting the B.B. so it should be nice and efficient like the mk23

I wouldn't be able to talk you out of it cause I really want one of these!

I already have the peacemakers so I been hunting for a lever rifle to finish the set but never been able to find the long spring version in stock.

I would say after doing research I have found the gas lever actions are plagued with leaks, that's one of the reasons why I want spring.

I would say it is a slippery slope buying Airsoft guns, I was in the exact same position of saying no more guns this year at the start of this week and yesterday I caved and spent £160 on a rare peacemaker.

I would say if you REALLY want it then go for it but you will probably have to make compromises elsewhere.

The silver KTW looked really lame and toy-like last time I saw one, and was surprised when I saw the cost... I also tried a springer one (Might have also been KTW) and the lever was stiff enough to be super un-fun

• Supporters
27 minutes ago, Game Cam said:

I wouldn't be able to talk you out of it cause I really want one of these!

The only reason I'd give is that you might buy the last one, then I wouldn't be able to get it.

If they're anywhere close in price then I'd go for the A&K every time.

Just out of interest, who has it in stock? ;)

32 minutes ago, Game Cam said:

I would say after doing research I have found the gas lever actions are plagued with leaks, that's one of the reasons why I want spring.

I found a few reviews of the mares leg that mentioned this about the full sized A&K rifle. All the reviews have said the Mare's leg version seems to not be plagued by leaks, so long as you are careful about keeping some gas in it. 

3 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

The only reason I'd give is that you might buy the last one, then I wouldn't be able to get it.

If they're anywhere close in price then I'd go for the A&K every time.

Just out of interest, who has it in stock? ;)

They better not have only one left.... But https://extremeairsoft.co.uk/shop/assault-rifles/gas-gbb-rifles/winchester-1873-ak-stubby-rifle/ have it in stock apparently. 

If I do get it, I'll bring it to the depot next time I'm there. You're welcome to have a shot if you are around. 

I'm dabbling with it. I'm fine with sewing leather, but when it comes to putting snaps and rivets on I end up getting too confused/making a mess. 

Molding is also difficult as I've not made a press yet... but making a little "cup" for the end of the barrel to sit in is doable for me just now.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Arwen said:

They better not have only one left.... But https://extremeairsoft.co.uk/shop/assault-rifles/gas-gbb-rifles/winchester-1873-ak-stubby-rifle/ have it in stock apparently. 

Ah, I'd just found that.  Well, a gentleman never takes advantage of a lady - especially when he's stone broke at the moment. ;)

1 hour ago, Arwen said:

If I do get it, I'll bring it to the depot next time I'm there. You're welcome to have a shot if you are around.

tumblr_lvhuuq55N71qhoyau.jpg

I reckon I'd have to fight my way through the crowd.  It might not be hugely practical, but it's a thing of beauty.

• Supporters

A&K are a decent make. I have loved my A&K guns.

Plus, that gas shotgun looks awesome. Well compared to the plastic toy above.

5 minutes ago, Arwen said:

You lot (and @Trojax88) are totally rubbish are talking me out of spending money.... :D:wub:

image.thumb.png.223acf3760016ceea438f0513f9f03a4.png

To be fair I invested a good 20 minutes talking you into it in the kitchen just now, plus easily the same by text earlier.

I think I did good... :D  I sure as hell don't have any regrets! 

• Supporters

Late to the party but hay ho ! My son has the full length A&K Winchester and it’s awsome ! 😍

cracking range on it and has a lovely smooth action when your racking it . 

The loader is a specific one too it , you can load it with a normal rod speedloader but it’s a right pain in the arse to do it .

The KTW has gas conversion kit there is a guy a section 8 that runs a full length. Had a shot the other day it was nice. 

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Arwen said:

Molding is also difficult as I've not made a press yet... but making a little "cup" for the end of the barrel to sit in is doable for me just now.

Leather isn’t that difficult to mold without a press all you need do is soak it in hot water till it’s nice and supple then lay it across what ever it is you want it for (I always rap what ever with cling film) then just keep smoothing it down for a couple of minutes and leave it dry in situ , if you want you can put some weights on the edges to hold it down .👍

Yea, I've read about doing it that way. I've yet to try t though 🙂 Got all the bits to make some pistol mag pouches so gonna try it with the.

Archived