how to make your cm16 raider lighter

liamsairsoft
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I dont think you'll be able to make it lighter and still be able to shoot. a raider is 2kg according the web, its full plastic already, so im sure it must be one of the lightest m4's on the market..

you can try to remove the buttstock and get a smaller handguard?

just looked up a smaller sized mp7 weight which is also 1.9kg. my metal m4 is about 2.6kg for comparison.

• Supporters

the fully polymer version?

because that's as lightweight as you're realistically going to be able to make an m4.

there are some things you can do to a full metal gun, for a start ditch any pointless accessories, if you don't need it don't have it on the gun, then replace the front handguard with polymer (either old school colt or more modern like a magpul moe style, whatever takes your fancy), then replace the buffer tube style stock either with a skeletonised deal or an m16 style (looks bulky but it's hollow and light)

if it's front wired then maybe rear-wire it, it won't make the gun any lighter but a better balanced gun can feel lighter than it really is.

otherwise you're talking about going really extreme pulling the stock off entirely and really shortening the barrel firehawk style.

on the field a decent sling can save you effective weight, give your arms a break, but apart from that all you can do is just a bit of weightlifting to solve the problem from the other direction (this is why all my guns are full weight because i cba going to the gym)

• Supporters

I'll be interested to see if anyone has any ideas, but they're already handy guns made of a light but strong polymer.

First, fit a sling and let it take the weight as often as possible to rest your arms.

You can remove the stock and fit a slim Lipo in the buffer tube, but I suspect the issue is more with the weight at the front, and holding it up horizontal.  Is that a fair assessment, or are you really struggling with the entire weight?

Do you have anything on the hand guard that you need?  If not, off it comes.  Haters can hate on your naked barrel: I prefer a magwell grip anyway.

If you really want to lighten it, you could consider fitting a shorter inner barrel, and just cutting the outer down to match, but I'd hesitate to throw money at it.  Would you be better off just selling the CM16 and buying a smaller gun?

• Supporters

Aaaah.  I did wonder, the plastic receivers on those are notably light.

What version is it?  They come in various lengths, right down to a fairly stubby CQB one.  If the gun itself doesn't suit you, I'd again suggest trying something else.  I'm quite the fanboi for MP5s at the moment.

• Supporters

Take all that gopping tape off, that'll save a few kilos.

Ditch the torch or move it further back onto the handguard, the further forward the weight is, the more you'll feel it.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, liamsairsoft said:

thanks is there any other things i can do

although the gun was heavy before i added the torch and camo

Honestly - I don't know your physical attributes so I apologise if I offend but unless the "metal" body is made of lead, it's really not heavy. Aside from going back to a plastic body and fitting a shorter barrel I really don't know what to suggest. Maybe a different gun? Something like an MP5k perhaps?

• Supporters

is the front rail metal?

i'd ditch all the tape and all the accessories bar the red dot, put a standard m4 or moe front handguard on there and drop the stock for an m16 style.

but aside from that lozart is right, that's not a heavy rifle, certainly not compared to some things out there (like my f2000 with the m203 fitted or the mg42 or even my m4 which i consider to be nice and lightweight even with its bipod)

really your choices are to change the whole gun for something lighter or change yourself so it feels lighter.

38 minutes ago, liamsairsoft said:

thanks is there any other things i can do

although the gun was heavy before i added the torch and camo

So it was too heavy and you added more stuff!?!? 🤔🤔

10 hours ago, liamsairsoft said:

its an old photo my friend tried to do an upgrade but it didnt work but i have put the wire inside the buffer tube now

it should be good i will purchase a new sling as mine is pretty bad and make sure to get a little stronger

What kind of sling do you have, I find a one point sling doesn't distribute the weight well, but my guns are more 3KG+.

Cheers

G

TBH there's not much point in changing a receiver, handguard, stock and outer barrel on a G&G Raider. You may as well just buy a Firehawk

• Supporters

You could always see if anyone makes an Airsoft copy of the noisy cricket from ‘men in Black’ ? 🤔

5301E8C2-E98A-4C07-B5CD-74A31763E11C.jpeg

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

I thought the cm16 was available wired to the rear.

Suppose it depends on the type of stock you have.

I favour the ones that take a nunchuk battery.

guess it depends, i always assume 99% of complaints about m4's being too heavy are as a result of front-wiring with a bunch of stuff tacked onto the front handguard.

balance>overall weight, and you shouldnt use rail space just because it's there, for example i only put a torch on my guns if going for a night shoot where it'll actually get used.

a good series to watch is inrange tv's "what would stoner do" project, interesting point they make that if you make the gun as light as possible then you'll be able to get more use out of it, like being able to stuff a bunch of accessories on it without making the thing so awkward as to be unusable.

• Supporters

Liam, I'm assuming your pretty young & of a smaller physique than your average player ?.

So your choices are

1. You hit the gym or maybe start some intensive calisthenics, very good for improving muscle strength without bulk.

Or

2. You sell your m4 & get something better suited, shorter, lighter & better balanced, personally i'd recommend a plastic bodied bullpup, Aug/PDR-C/UAR/TAR-21/FN2000 etc, or maybe a p90, any of those would be a big improvement on what your using now.

Archived