Fast pistol mag changes

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm sorry, I'm back in the land of doubles...
What's the quickest way to change pistol mags if you have two pistols at the same time?
What's the coolest way to change pistol mags of two pistols at the same time (that actually works)?
What's the most practical way?

I remember seeing a film (nice and vague, I know!), where someone was able to reload their pistols using something where the pistols were held by the base.
I've just watched the khanseb vid - not what I'm looking for, as I don't want to carry the spare mags in the pockets...

Not after a way to stow the pistols, cos they'll have tracer units on..

• Supporters

are you thinking of the original tomb raider movie where lara has those electric mag pouches that pop out and you just pop the pistol over them?

problem with any film or real steel based method for this is going to be mag retention- they just drop the old mags on the ground and forget about them, but i'm guessing you're going to want to be keeping hold of yours.

if you can find/make a mag holster that holds by the base you could maybe do it, row of mags facing inwards on a plate carrier then either a central or a pair of side mounted dump pouches to drop the mags into.

but in reality the best option is either to accept that fast reloads just arent happening, maybe getting some extended mags (if it's glocks your running) to increase time between reloads, or just run 1 pistol.

Using two pistols at the same time is highly impractical. You can’t accurately and quickly engage two targets with a pistol in each hand. You’d be FAR better off either running a single pistol and reloading quickly or swapping pistols when one is out and reload the pair in cover. 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, sonofsammo said:

Them's the ones....
I'm guessing you can't get em from Urban Airsoft then 😞 😂

theres another version where she just has 4 mags lined up on her belt horizontally facing forward, which would be a bit more realistic.

although i suspect in replicating it your next problem will be going to reload and finding the mags have fallen off somewhere.

I wouldn’t recommend using 2 pistols at the same time. It is not feasible to reload with them at all, let alone quickly.

You’re better off running 1 pistol and using 2x2 fast mag carriers for carrying 5 magazines .

I reckon if you use a pistol lanyard attached to the bottom of the first mags, you can drop them straight out and not lose them, and Kydex clips holding your spare mags to your belt.

You could even have more lanyards for every mag, at the risk of looking like a hula dancer by the end of the skirmish 😂😂

The only tactic I can think of is the one where you tuck the pistol behind your knee or under your armpit.
The best example is in John Wick 2: 

-you drop the used mag into your dump pouch
-tuck the gun behind your knee (or in your armpit)

-slot new mag in

-pew pew

I have done it with my M1911 before when my other hand has been carrying an objective.

But yeah as much as I love two guns, I would probably have two pistols but only use one as a main one and pull out the other when you need to.

I ran two Glocks at the weekend for five minutes and it was utterly dreadful. 

IMHO, save it for the movies. 

5 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

I reckon if you use a pistol lanyard attached to the bottom of the first mags, you can drop them straight out and not lose them, and Kydex clips holding your spare mags to your belt.

You could even have more lanyards for every mag, at the risk of looking like a hula dancer by the end of the skirmish 😂😂

What's a kydex clip?

2 pistols at the same time is fun.

I love it. 

It's not massively impractical for where I play.

More often than not, I don't use more than four mags in a game. And if I do, I can sit em out when I'm dead.

I'm right handed, but in tennis used to have two forehands and no back hand.

Being able to use both hands to do separate things is useful.

Being able to cover two directions at once it's useful.

I currently find playing with two pistols more fun than any other way, in CQB.

And it's fun..... Did I mention that already? Cos it is. Lots 😄 

I had the chance to run twins on Tuesday night - and had a new mag holder to try it with...
I got the F series Nuprol mag pouch, which holds them nice and tight, so they don't fall out, but not that tight I can't get at them.
After a little experimentation, I found that having it just off horizontal worked best. For next time, I'm going to get another and run one on either side, but holding only one mag in each. That way I can stow the empty, then pull the full one easily.

The only error I have made is that the CZ isn't properly ambi. Which makes things a little tricky.
But with practice, I think I should get some pretty slick mag changes 😄

I use two small dump pouches on the sides of my belt to drop mags in directly then angled mag pouches on the belt. Its not perfect but I'm getting the reload times down with practice and it seems the most ergonomic set up I've tried so far.

1 hour ago, NastyAccident said:

I use two small dump pouches on the sides of my belt to drop mags in directly then angled mag pouches on the belt. Its not perfect but I'm getting the reload times down with practice and it seems the most ergonomic set up I've tried so far.

Sorry for being dim - which way have you angled yours?
I experimented a bit and found that angled forward worked best for me, about 15 degrees off horizontal.

Archived