Fear Masters Wakefield

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Went along to their open day yesterday (12th August 2018) and thoroughly enjoyed myself. 

Haven’t been to a site for 15 years as only just getting back into Airsoft but thought I’d offer my opinion; booking again so will be able to further add to the review. There were about 40 players which I thought was a good turn out for a random and usual

open day - not sure if that’s typical? 

Really well equipped site and great facilities. 

Best toilets I’ve ever seen at a venue, good shop, plenty of kit to purchase, some hot food (microwave stuff) available for purchase and plenty of places to store kit in the dry. They also utilise a quad and trailor to transport your kit about should you need it. 

As I’m only just getting back into airsoft I hired an AEG which was a Nuprol G36 - all

of them were well maintained and looked after. I got a jam and they couldn’t swap me the gun quick enough so I could get straight back into the fray. 

That brings me then onto the staff - very professional, very very approachable and friendly and extremely safety conscious. I would actually say a little too safety conscious and the constant reminders to clear guns, put all weapons on floor and then brief for each game, followed by more safety reminders was a little too much and ate into possible game time but would rather have them that way than the opposite I suppose! Just feel a bit quicker turnarounds would have resulted in about 30mins more gameplay. 

The games themselves were were pretty good, they’ve obviously put a lot of thought into a few of them and a lot of them I imagine to be adaptable so you could go a few times in a year and play different games. 

There are ALOT of things to hide behind and work your way through and this created plenty of opportunities to hold down a section to then get caught at a different angle making games quite filled with anticipation by not knowing where going to be attacked from. 

There are also a few fairly unique features such as ‘The Trench’ and a building that is PITCH black and very confined - this was a particular scary moment especially considering I’ve not taken a BB for years, never mind one that I couldn’t see from 4 yards! 

This is also sort of the site’s downfall - there are a few too many fortifications and whatnot to hide behind which made it a bit more paintball like stand and shoot, hide, stand and shoot - taking a few of these out and creating a bit more space would allow more chance to have to move and press attacks - with there been so much that obscured your view but protect you it meant that both sides effectively dug in and just kept shooting - it wasn’t worth making an attempt to move forward as it often came down to who had the most/best sort of cover. 

Highly recommend this site, especially if there’s a group of you as a cohesive unit could really get some fire and movement manoeuvres in and there’s lots of elements to test yourselves in. 

Pros:

excellent staff

safety

facilities 

organised 

Good shop and things available to buy

Cons

slow turnarounds 

too much cover 

Again really enjoyed it and recommended - will have more to compare it to in the next 2 months. 

I've been pondering going to FMA. I use Urban Airsoft a lot, as it's my nearest store. And, tbf, because they have decent prices and customer service.
However, I've never gone. Why? Their promo stuff - seems to glorify overshooting / punishment shooting. Which really put me off.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid to take a hit - I play bare armed in CQB, for example. 
However, I have a resounding impression that lighting people up is the rule, not the exception.
So it's quite interesting to read something that actually makes the place look good.
Thanks for the review - I may have to venture over and try it out..... 😄

Where else are you planning on trying out?

Yeah totally worth a go and see as the prices are fair for walk on. Like I said it’s slightly got too many fortifications so can lead to a bit of stand and shoot but still there’s plenty of positives. 

Definetly do not encourage overkill and all the safety briefings stress not to do so - I saw nothing but fair and gentleman like play when I was there and from my previous experience the marshalling was very good. 

I’m hoping to get to Foundry and Halo mill asap to get my UKARA and also my 17yro TM MP5 will be able to hold its own in small cqb areas! 

Then after that im hoping to get the last Sandpit open day in Bradford in September! Hopefully then I’ll have a new AEG and go FearMasters again

• 3 months later...
On 17/08/2018 at 09:09, Jimbodini42 said:

Yeah totally worth a go and see as the prices are fair for walk on. Like I said it’s slightly got too many fortifications so can lead to a bit of stand and shoot but still there’s plenty of positives. 

Definetly do not encourage overkill and all the safety briefings stress not to do so - I saw nothing but fair and gentleman like play when I was there and from my previous experience the marshalling was very good. 

I’m hoping to get to Foundry and Halo mill asap to get my UKARA and also my 17yro TM MP5 will be able to hold its own in small cqb areas! 

Then after that im hoping to get the last Sandpit open day in Bradford in September! Hopefully then I’ll have a new AEG and go FearMasters again

I have just gotten into Airsoft and have been to Fearmasters. It's really good, great facilities and the staff are really friendly! I agree with the slow turnaround comment tho, even going to lunch takes an eternity, but I guess safety is paramount.

I haven't been to any other sites tho so can't compare. I'm from Leeds, so maybe should have a look around this area too.

Archived