Lost dogs - Upgraded TM Famas and SRC XM8 come home to kick some ass on Sunday.

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello gents. 

I have gotten these two back from the techs. 

The unupgradable TM FAMAS F1 has been fully upgraded!

Laylax/Prometheus 6.03 Inner barrel 469mm 
MOSFET 
Maple Leaf 50 Degree bucking, Ohm nub 
Systema Metal FAMAS specific Spring guide 
RA M100 Spring 
RA 16:1 Gearset (Version 2)
Nuprol 6MM metal Oilness Bushings 
Prometheus FAMAS specific air nozzle
EG560 Motor Upgrade (Removed the ferrite magnets and installed Neodymium ones)

The Famas has always had a soft spot for me, I bought it as my first rifle knowing full well the weaknesses it had and the challenge it would be to get upgraded. I found a tech willing to take it on. One of the myths is that you cannot upgrade the Version 1 gearbox or the motor. The Version 1 gearbox WILL take Version 2 gears, though it will be quite loud. The Motor cannot be replaced, but you can upgrade the magnets to achieve higher torque. You can just about fit the magnets into the casing though it is very tight. Due to the strength of the motor, the anti reversal latch had to be removed as it would just break if use. 

As the motor height is not adjustable due to the "built in" nature of the gearbox, the initial firing sound is that of a poorly shimmed gearbox, but actually once it beds in is likely to get quieter. The plastic bushings have been replaced with metal ones, I managed to find the FAMAS specific Systema Spring guide (Though I could have used any old one) and the FAMAS specific Prometheus Air Nozzle. 

The hop unit on the FAMAS is actually fairly weak at giving a decent hop effect so a soft 50 degree bucking was used and it was quasi flat hopped which should hopefully give me more range. This is all topped off with a basic mosfet and a quality Laylax tightbore. 

Original FPS was 270. It is now 345 with the hop off. Initial impressions are that it feels incredibly responsive, so much more so then when it was stock. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

The other one is a new old stock SRC XM8 Gen 2. 

As much as I wanted a GEN 3, they are impossible to get these days. So I picked this one up to get upgraded as much as possible. Basically they have weaker externals and gearbox then the Gen 3. 

Upgrades: 

SRC Gearbox gen 3 complete gearbox with 8mm bearings
Laylax 6.03 Inner barrel 363mm 
AAB Nanogate Mosfet 
SRC Hop up spare 
Prometheus Purple Bucking. 

I managed to pick up a brand new SRC Gen 3 gearbox from a random shop in Spain. This was dropped in along with the original XM8 Air Nozzle. The SRC gearboxes are completely bomb proof, especially the Gen 3's. I kept the stock SRC motor and got it hooked up to an AAB Nanogate Mosfet. I picked up a spare SRC Hop Up unit as they are fairly hard to find. A Prommy purple bucking was installed as well as a new Laylax Barrel. 

Notes: The SRC Hop unit is a nightmare from a hop perspective, the hop window is INCREDIBLY tiny. So much so that it is practically impossible to flat hop it. I did purchase an Airsoft Pro G36 HOP unit and air nozzle to try and get working with it as someone had got it working on FB. However they didn't align properly with the gearbox so had to be left out. 

Original FPS was 380, this has been downgraded to 345 with the hop off.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I will be using these at EAG Dorking this Sunday, hopefully the SRC has enough range from the gammy hop unit and hopefully the FAMAS wont set itself on fire. 

38860181_10156362635810560_7278812137458237440_o.jpg

51 minutes ago, BibbsOnTour said:

Something about the look of the FAMAS I just love.

What's it like for getting attachments on? That top rail looks interesting to mount things on...

That's not a rail! The rail isn't attached at the moment. It goes in between the sides of the upper. They are quite rare, I have the Cybergun one as well as an old TM one. 

• Supporters

I call your posh SRC XM8 and raise you my ACM XM8 ! 😂😂

2 hours ago, Asomodai said:

That's not a rail! The rail isn't attached at the moment. It goes in between the sides of the upper. They are quite rare, I have the Cybergun one as well as an old TM one. 

I was unsure on whether or not to call it a rail as I felt if I didn't call it a rail it'd make me sound stupid but now I sound stupid because I did :lol:

Yeah, have an FAMAS F1 too...

...Got a very cool RS front RIS set from the sand box on it. Cybergun handle RIS and TM red dot sight... 

...Fair few mags, original box etc. Used twice from new...totally stock... 

... Were anyone interested in acquiring one... 

At least one pic in my Instagram gallery - cryemeariver. 

Interesting day yesterday. Famas performed quite well. Very steady on the chrono, each shot within 2 FPS of each-other. It feels like I can compete with it now!

Unfortunately the XM8's shots were all heading to the right consistently so back to the tech it goes! But I did like using it!

Interesting day at Plantation. 

The XM8 is quite loose with the hop unit attached to the inner barrel in that its very easy to rotate the barrel. I rotated it enough so that it was shooting pretty much straight. I think this is quite common with G36's because of the floating outer barrel and poor connection to the hop unit. 

FAMAS performed very well, unfortunately due to the angle of the barrel the front iron sight is just not high enough. Looking at getting a full length RS rail so i can put a different set of ironsights on. 

• 3 months later...

I have confirmed that the AirsoftPro G36 hop unit can replace the awful SRC G36 Hop unit without having to replace the MagWell.

The upshot of this is my SRC XM8 which you cant change the mag well can finally have a decent unit!

46492910_2201440283405692_1768109212514123776_n.jpg

46491442_1971190812960483_7713788386334474240_n.jpg

46511374_600594193733779_6455052876262670336_n.jpg

46712024_207451573477754_6853632906552672256_n.jpg

HOP.jpg

Archived