Pistol torch

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Would be grateful for recommendations for lights to fit pistol rails.

• I can' t afford the high end stuff but I don' want cheap and unreliable. Cheap and reliable would be OK though.😁

How many lumens would suffice for cqb?

Try this one, its about as bright to look at as my SureFire that was £70! Its not as room lighting as my more expensive one, but it is still bright. And it strobes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06Y6FNCWG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Head Moderator

On my pistol I just use a cheap china taclight giving around 500-600 lumens, and strobe mode. Like the link above.

For CQB, once you switch the torch on you become visible pretty much regardless how many lumens the light is, so you may as well have the brightest light to really see what you are shooting at.

A search on "torch" produces lots of results, for example:

3 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Would be grateful for recommendations for lights to fit pistol rails.

• I can' t afford the high end stuff but I don' want cheap and unreliable. Cheap and reliable would be OK though.😁

How many lumens would suffice for cqb?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113104483369

This is the one I use for £10, just get two diall c123 batteries from screwfix to go with it (£2 each).

Lights up the full length dark room at my cqb site, glass got shot out first use though :(

It has a laser function/torch, or torch and laser at once, no stupid strobe just on and off which is what i prefer. 

Image is in my non lit dining room (please excuse the mess!) 

IMG_20180726_234703_HHT.jpg

1 hour ago, emilianoksa said:

Thanks for the references.

20 quid seems a bit low even to me.

Does anybody know the Nuprol ones compare to the ASG Srike.

They botn have lights in the £30-50 range, as does Element.

I thought the same but it performs like an expensive one. When I get home tonight I'll put up 2 photos and you'll see the difference if any on my expensive torch Vs the one I linked you

You can get the x300 without strobe for £55 I think

• Head Moderator
54 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

Has nobody ever come up with a mesh cover to protect flashlight lenses?

I bought clear 2mm and 3mm perspex discs in different diameters off eBay to fit over torch/flashlight/taclight lens.  Gives better protection, and if they get shot out just replace with another one. Fairly cheap.  There are topics about this, try search terms perspex or protector. 

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Compulsive Reload said:

Yes!  I got one of those based on a previous recommendation here, and it's great value for the money.  A bright torch, a laser that can be used to amuse your cats, a surprisingly decent quality optional push-to-activate switch, and the one I got came with 2 rechargeable lipo cells. You'll want a generic 3.7V lipo cell charger for those, but for £10 for the basic unit, you're not going to get anything better for that price.

It comes with a glass lens, so if you're paranoid, you may want to fab up a polycarb replacement, but otherwise I can't fault it for the money.

Got this yesterday from Patrolbase.. £29.99

My god it's bright and it's just light on/off, no strobing etc..but it works and fits on my TM HK45t perfectly.  Am very impressed, seems solid/sturdy. (250lumens)

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/beta-project-p-light-pistol-torch?pv=5298

20180809_102538.jpg

HI,

I recently got in the post a used GBB from a member on here

He included a Nuprol torch in the sale, its pretty bright and fits the G17 that it came with very tightly / no rattle

It appears to only have on/off and the ability to flash it if you wanted, but no strobe effect

I have noticed that when I trial fitted it to my Primary (A Krytac Trident) it was loose as hell on the picatinny

SO possibly just worn, but might be an issue if looking to swap to different pew-pew's 👍

Rgd's

G

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be some disagreement in the airsoft community about how many lumens are suitable for cqb.

Some regard 200 lumens as more than enough. Others believe even that is overkill at close range. Nobody wants to risk injuring other players' eyes but I wonder if they are exaggerating.

I'''ve been recommended a number of options which look pretty good but they are over 200 lumens. One is 600.

Anyone care to comment.  I'm on the point of getting something for my WE Glock, but I might also sometimes fit it to the ris rail of a rifle.

I am aware that it is also important to take into account the size and angle of the reflectors and the amount of light diffusion.

13 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Some regard 200 lumens as more than enough. Others believe even that is overkill at close range. Nobody wants to risk injuring other players' eyes but I wonder if they are exaggerating.

I've been recommended a number of options which look pretty good but they are over 200 lumens. One is 600.

The answer is, it depends. Do you want a torch simply to see where you are going or what you are shooting at? 

Or to you want a torch to draw fire and/or dazzel the other team?

I use a torch from Anker. Think it costs about £15. It's got different settings, one which is perfect for just finding my way around a dark building, the other is super bright. I rarely use the super bright mode as even though I am behind it, it still hurts my eyes 😅

It also has a strobe setting, which can be useful for disorientating the other team if I simply place it on a shelf/wall at an angle while still pointing to them. 

• Supporters
19 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Nobody wants to risk injuring other players' eyes

You're not going to do that with a visible light[*] torch - people wont stare at it long enough to do any damage, any more than they'll stare directly at the sun.  That's rather the point as well, to make it hard to shoot directly at you, or to hide what's behind it.  I often stick my guns around corners or over barricades, finger carefully off the trigger, just to light up the enemy, dazzle them, and draw fire.  It's a rogue's trick but it works very well.  Be prepared to fit a polycarb lens if you're going to make the torch a target.

As to how many lumens is sufficient, well, Oriental eBay lumens aren't like Occidental lab lumens, so any number will be more or less random.  The little £10 unit suggested above doesn't even claim a lumen number, which I actually prefer.  I doubt it's a 3W LED either.  I'd classify it as "enough" .  Also, what actually matters is lux, the lumens per square metre (or per round eyeball) which is down to the beam spread as well as the source brightness.

I appreciate the quest to find the One True Lumen, but I don't think it exists.  You have to try them in practice and see if they suit.

[*] Added "visible light" before some wit says "Yeahbut, whatif UV torsch tho?"

Personally the brighter the better. Lights work both ways, so as soon as it’s lit you give your position away. Having a bright one gives you that half second (usually) when shining at someone to get your shot off. A not so bright one doesn’t do this as well, but is enough to draw attention to yourself

Archived