Today I did laser pew-pew

Rogerborg
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Young Miss Borg did it on a school trip and loved it, so I allowed myself to be dragged along to the local laser quest site.  There was an interesting mix of parents and children of various ages and degrees of tacticool SRSness there, so I didn't feel too nonce-ish.

That was... rather weird.  The tactics are somewhat like CQB airsoft, but no lying down, no running, no crouching even, the last two of which I forgot.  No sights, but you can aim fairly well along the gun, see your dot, and walk the pews on target.  No falling back, 5 seconds to respawn after each hit, so 15 minute sessions of near constant activity.  Pew phew.

No specific rules against using kids and deaders as cover ( ;) ).  No fogging up goggles, no cheaters (Friend Computer handles all the scoring), no reloading, and no pain!  😮

There's no depth to it, but it's surprisingly intense and rather a good laugh.  I kept calling my hits... :D

• Supporters

didn't think about not being able to crouch/go prone, guess it blocks the recievers. kinda sucks.

but i suppose if it acts as a gateway drug for airsoft then we can't argue really.

• Head Moderator

I played Laser Quest in the distant past; it was inside a large inflatable game zone which was so dark with added disco smoke pumped in.  It was great fun running, crawling, hiding, with small team tactics.  The only real danger was when the laser guns went dark (all lights extinguished) once all lives were up and then not seeing the gun and running into it.  Or tripping over a kneeling/prone player on your way out.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

tripping over a kneeling/prone player on your way out

Thus the prohibition at the local site.

Once I realised I was hit-calling, I made a point of giving a big thumbs up and "Oh, I say, jolly good shot, sir", as an example for the younglings.

Mentioning that I beasted the rankings[*] is a bit like boasting of being a dwarf among midgets, since most of the folk there were hip/chest shooting and hadn't figured out sighting along the gun.  On the other hand, being able to run and gun in any direction without caring about blind firing was a nice departure.  It'd be easy to pick up bad habits doing that though.

Worth trying for a giggle anyway.

[*] Actually a yummy mummy did pretty well too, to the chagrin of the other dads playing. 😀

I used to go to the local bowling alley where they had quasar set up in a dedicated zone. Monday nights were the mutts.

rock up 6:30 pay a tenner and play until about 11:30pm. They called it shoot til you drop. Absolute mayhem.

Kinda went from there to paintball to airsoft as a way to get my tactical kicks after leaving the TA.

To be honest one of the reasons I considered airsoft was because I did so well at Laser-Tag.

(i also did paintball but we don't talk about that)

I was top gun at Great Yarmouth for 5 years, use to go 4 times a year to make sure no one beat my score, after I became top gun (the second time I played.).

Archived