Are gas powered rifles effective

robwigan
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

from my experience using gas (co2) powered air rifles and pistols they are terrible for target shooting 

Are they any better when it comes to use  for air soft a lot of reviews seem to suggest they can be up to 100fps under AEG's

I have 2 KWC CO2 pistols, both of which needed modding to bring them down to a UK legal FPS limit. 

So in my experience that's unfounded. of course it probably depends on the make you buy!

My WE GBB G36 comes in at 340fps on green gas. It's fine FPS-wise. 

Are they effective? Depends on how you play and what kind of games. From my experience theyre a lot of fun to play with, and whilst I certainly don't spray and pray hose BBs everywhere, I do find myself massively disadvantaged only having 30 BBs in a magazine, compared to the highcap hero with 500 just holding his finger on full auto. I'll normally play a single game with it for a laugh then go back to my AEGs. I'd say the best place for GBB rifles is mil-sim where everyone else is using them or AEGs with low cap ammo restrictions.

• Supporters

it's a tricky one, the limited ammunition is going to be a massive disadvantage compared to an aeg, so you need to work around that either by using it in a cqb semi auto only setting or as a dmr.

accuracy wise they're no worse than aeg's, if you set up and use a gas gun right it can shoot incredibly well, just ask anyone who's been on the receiving end of my we sig :P

basically as long as you don't try and use it in a game of whack a mole with someone running an aeg with a hicap you'll be fine

I agree with proffrink.

Ive used my G5 twice now at woodland fields and found myself massively disadvantaged. Not because i had inferior range, but because for every one round i fired i was getting 5 back. 

Close the distance down and volume of fire became irrelevant.

I love my gas guns. If you can get past the two hurdles of not buying a shit one, and being able to play with 30 round mags, they’re miles better in my opinion. 

I can mag dump quite a few of my guns, full auto in the middle of winter. Some don’t like it, true. But who goes full auto when you only have 30 rounds anyway. 

I currenly own about 10 gbbr’s. If you understand how they work, then they’re no bother at all

They are effective at:

Making me grin. 

Making my team mates want to buy and subsequently buying gbbrs after seeing mine. 

Getting far more satisfactory hits than I ever got with my AEGs. 

11 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

They are effective at:

Making me grin. 

Making my team mates want to buy and subsequently buying gbbrs after seeing mine. 

Getting far more satisfactory hits than I ever got with my AEGs. 

Definitely this. A few friends have bought GBBR’s after playing with mine. That and they sell themselves. I try and let people test fire anything I sell if they’re local. After half a mag the money is thrown at me with a happy smile. 

Archived