SGR12 battery issue - or is it me?

Apharmd

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I had a game a couple of weeks ago where I brought my new SGR12. Given the limited battery space, I bought two Nuprol 1100mAH Lipos, and charged them with a Nuprol charger.

The thing is, I barely made it through the warmup, as the battery ran out of charge about 2/3 of the way though a drum. I saved the other battery for the last game, and it ran out about the same time.

The charger instructions said that the lights on it would go green when charging is complete, which was less than an hour. This doesn't sound right, as it's a 800mA charger.

Is it a hardware issue, or have I bought the wrong battery?

Thanks for the help.

• Head Moderator

I have a SGR-12 and use a single 850mAh 7.4V 30C LiPo.  One battery lasts me the day, although I do have 2 so that I can swap out if necessary.

I do not have a high opinion of Nuprol products (I would not buy their batteries).  Get yourself a genuine iMax B6 battery balance charger.

• 4 months later...
  • Head Moderator

I am using a Vapex brand one, it has the letters "V P Airsoft",  code LP007, and Li-Po rechargable battery pack written on it.  And the battery specs 850mAh, 7.4V, 30C, 5.5Wh.

It looks like this one from Component shop

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-1300mah-30c-continuous-discharge-airsoft-lipo-battery.html?___SID=U

However, I cannot find the LP007 version for sale by Component Shop.  They do have another similar Vapex tech racing battery, the LP007BT, although not sure on the difference between the LP007 and LP007BT

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-850mah-30c-continuous-discharge-lipo-battery.html?___SID=U

Thanks.

I've tried my Nuprol batteries in other guns with the same result. At this point, I think I should try and get another brand.

Can anyone recommend a battery that will fit the SGR?

Lipo's do loose capacity with age. You will find once you've done 2-300 charges they start to discharge faster.

The other thing that is common with lipo's is fake labels. You see it across all industries that use lipo's. A higher capacity is a higher prices battery. There are some companies you can trust to have the correct information about the battery on the label. Nuprol isn't one of them.

Vapex (VP racing), Turnigy, Giant Power. Are the ones I look to buy, there are other makes as well but avoid anything that is a re-branded product. (Nuprol, ASG, Any gun make G&G, Cyma, Classic army ect ).

You can measure the batteries you have if there a good fit. Component shop list battery dimensions with the battery specs.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/batteries/airsoft/li-po-packs/74v.html

• 7 months later...

My SGR12 says ONLY use a NIMH battery - do NOT use lipo batteries. So I can just squeeze a 1600 NiMH battery in the stock. Asked the owner/technician at my site why this was and he said it was to do with the internals and built in MOSFET. Prolonged use of a lipo battery will damage it.

Must admit fully charged I get 1 game out of it before a battery change. I'd call that a design fault 🤔

I would take the gun back to where you bought it from.  Rule that out first, then look at the batteries you are buying and the charger, as this should not be happening with a new aeg...

• 4 weeks later...

To clarify from Dealer - do not use lipo, although it will work for a while, eventually it will blow the internal MOSFET. Showed me the manual and an email from manufacturer. The price of a new MOSFET is around the £300 Mark for this model.

A 1600 NiMH will fit. So I have 3 in total to last the day. All good brands, no rubbish.

So I will stick with what the manufacturer recommends as any damage caused by using a lipo is not covered by warranty.

I dont see how a lipo can damage the mosfet over time? I use a 7.4v lipo in my aa12 and its fine. A 9.6v nimh or 11.1v lipo wont work at all. 

I know very little about this but i always assumed you'd get 1 shot per mah. The aa12 drum holds 3000bbs so getting 2000 or so shots per battery seems about right.

Finally forget lipo - the best thing you can do for an AES is not use the drum - it can jam the gun easily. I dont use mine anymore -not least cause of poor feeding. 

• 9 months later...

It'll be the nuprol charger that is the problem. Get a decent balance charger for your Lipo's Imax are decent , but be aware that there are lots of fakes around, I use an Overlander charger for all my Lipo's ( airsoft and RC) which works very well.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.