What bits in a VSR upgrade make the most difference in consistency?

Lollingsgrad
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've bought a Well MB03 that I intend to upgrade and I'd like to know how far I really need to go to get something usable. I'm fairly convinced that going for an Action Army hop chamber and a Maple Leaf Autobot bucking will be the majority of the improvement.

Is upgrading the barrel actually important? I get mixed messages on this and the availability and expense of a VSR inner barrel is such that I'd quite like to skip it. Also is there any point upgrading the trigger assembly, cylinder, piston and spring if the stock FPS is pretty close to field limit already and the thing doesn't slam fire or otherwise break when you use it?

Triggers get upgrades for reliability as at high fps they fail over time, also gives a better trigger pull and bolt catch

vsr g-spec comes with 303mm barrel that people report gives poor consistancy and joule creep. So most change that out for a 430mm barrel to fix this.

• Head Moderator

Try using the search tool, 3 character minimum length, and read through the results.  For example, "mb03" returns this:

21 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

Try using the search tool, 3 character minimum length, and read through the results.  For example, "mb03" returns this:

I did but this doesn't answer the question. I'm not looking to find out what I can upgrade and with what because I already know this through searching. What I'm trying to ascertain is what has the most impact; from what I've read, it seems like trigger adds nothing unless it's not firing properly, and people are undecided whether barrel makes a significant difference.

The biggest thing you can do for consistency is eliminate air leaks. A mate has a maple leaf bucking and 6.03 barrel in a vsr and its a monster, consistant and accurate.

I’ve found air leaks can make FPS consistency bad and the barrel helps the most with shot placement consistency.

5 hours ago, Nick G said:

The biggest thing you can do for consistency is eliminate air leaks. A mate has a maple leaf bucking and 6.03 barrel in a vsr and its a monster, consistant and accurate.

I would say a good cylinder head, barrel and hop bucking would be best for consistency - it's all about the air seals. I run a 6.02 barrel in mine, maple bucking and airsoft pro rounded cylinder head with o-ring seal. Also PTFE taped the bucking to the barrel just to be extra certain.

Cylinder head, bucking and barrel for conistency.

trigger for longevity and reliability 

everything else because you can bro

Consistency of what?

Shot placement, range, fps?

In an airsoft gun all the above will inter-twine with each other. 

The thing most airsofters forget is that in reality, most airsofters can't actually shoot. For the small gains that can be made in shot to shot consistency by upgrading you could gain more by learning simple techniques like trigger operation and consistent aim and hold.

Things like lightening trigger pull and correctly spacing inner barrels would help shot to shot consistency, but also things like marking hop settings and ensuring your ammunition is consistent and clean will make potentially big differences. 

If you're asking what to upgrade to make it more skirmishable, hop bucking and barrel are your best start points. Save triggers etc until they fail (as they will).

• 5 months later...

Right so you've got a Well MB03, meaning that stock you won't benefit from the magic TM sprinkle on the VSR platform to make it perform.

A decent hopup would be near the top of my list as you've already pointed out. Pair that with an Autobot and you're in the right direction for sure. You will need a better barrel to take advantage of that though so maybe look at a decent 6.03 or 6.01 unbridged (open cut barrel) and do the usual PTFE mods whilst you're at it to ensure a good air seal. A set of barrel spacers to provide some rigidity down the inner barrel is also a cheap and easy win.

That's probably the basic bits before you start down a long winding path, cylinder, cylinder head, spring, guide, trigger. They all interlink and you will struggle to do some without doing others.

Another really important upgrade you should keep at the top of your list is DECENT BB's. Get into the habit of buying good ammo now as inconsistency in your ammo will make even the best parts look bad. I personally use Geoffs for my snipers. I have tried Proball (awful inconsistent rubbich I'll never use again), ASG which were OK but have settled on Geoffs now as it's been a great experience. I haven't measured each and every ball but general usage I've noticed them the least.

Archived