Radios Baofeng

Swynol
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok a bit of a random one, hoping there are some experts out there :)

About to buy a Baofeng. I'm aware i need a licence to transmit. My site already has one.

However.  I am a volunteer for the Coastguard, We currently use ICOMs. They arent the best, range and clarity is weak. If i get an Baofeng UV-5R, can i program it with my Coastguard channel 0 (156.00mhz) VHF, plus the other VHF channels aswell as have channels saved for my sites UHF channel and PMR channels?

A bonus if it works on my Coastguard channel is being able to listen to 2 channels at the same time as we work on ch0 and have a private team ch99. 

• Supporters

I do something similar with another organisation, and from what I understand, as long as you have the channel owners permission it is perfectly legal and Kosha.

Although the Icom radios aren’t PMR radios are they? They are pre programmed? So you don’t need a licence to use those channels, just permission to use the radios.

• Supporters

Baofeng UV5-R can do 136-174MHz and 400-480MHz, so yeah it’ll be able to work on marine channels.  

I wouldnt advise trying to use it to do both team and coastguard though, 2 frequencies on one radio isn’t ever really a good idea for user.  A very high chance of screwing up and transmitting on the wrong channel. 

Yeah, telling the coast guard there is a sniper 50 yards to the right in the bushes might not go down well 😉

12 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

Baofeng UV5-R can do 136-174MHz and 400-480MHz, so yeah it’ll be able to work on marine channels.  

I wouldnt advise trying to use it to do both team and coastguard though, 2 frequencies on one radio isn’t ever really a good idea for user.  A very high chance of screwing up and transmitting on the wrong channel. 

cheers. with the 2 frequencies i meant the 2 Coastguard channels we use. CH0 main comms channel and then we have a coastguard team Channel usually CH99. Plus CH16 for emergencies. 

• Supporters

That’s exactly what I mean, the indicator as to which channel you’re on is small and the button to switch is easily pressed.  Under stress you could very easily transmit on channel 0 when you mean to transmit on channel 99 or vice versa.  

Archived