Radio

Black_Ice931
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello everyone.

I was thinking to get a radio, maybe a Baofeng (the new group I'm playing with use Baofeng 888S).

So maybe a UV 82, UV 5R or UV 6R.

What would you suggest? And what are the differences?

Also I asked a question in the section "UK Laws" about radios, so if you have nothing to do, have a look [here].

Thank you all.

If the group you are playing with are using 888s, is there a reason you want a different model?

I'm considering going down the comms route, so wondering if there was something about the 888s you didn't like.

Cheeers

G

4 minutes ago, MisterG said:

If the group you are playing with are using 888s, is there a reason you want a different model?

I'm considering going down the comms route, so wondering if there was something about the 888s you didn't like.

Cheeers

G

Having the chance to change frequency freely I guess is a good reason to get one of those. If I want to play with somebody else with different radios/frequencies I will not be unable to play with them.

Would you still suggest to get one of those?

Aren't all the frequencies the same?Known as PMR446 radios - License Free utilising 400-470 Mhz so they should/could all cross communicate.I think they just get better the more you pay.I have those radios,they work fine and IMO good value for the money.

9 hours ago, Black_Ice931 said:

Having the chance to change frequency freely I guess is a good reason to get one of those. If I want to play with somebody else with different radios/frequencies I will not be unable to play with them.

Would you still suggest to get one of those?

Not sure I am still doing research, not got far, so was wondering if you had found a reason.  The 5R has a screen and costs twice the price as a 888s, but both are over powered for PMR.

• Supporters

My self and the rest of my team all run the UV5R and have done so for a good few yrs now , with no problems .

Was more from the fact I can get 2 888s for the price of a 5R, are they worth the extra?

Cheers

G

To chip in my 10 pence, I'd say get some of the Baofeng UV-5R. They're completely programmable and they also work in both UHF and VHF, giving you many more frequencies to work with and possibly (technically) a little longer ranger in VHF.

Don't forget you'll need a programming cable, but they're pretty cheap. You can get the software from their official website https://baofengtech.com/download its the "CHIRP" software you'll need

Also PLEASE don't forget to License your radios. Just using random frequencies is not only a dick move to those you might be transmitting over the top of its also completely illegal.

Hi

What category would airsoft use fall under for the license and how long does it take to get one?

Cheers

G

The question is really what are the benefits of getting the 5R over the 888's?Surely for airsoft the non-licence PMR 888's would suffice and keep you away from issues..I have both by the way,but I put the 5R back in the box considering they were overkill for airsoft.As below:

If you use a two-way radio system that does not operate on one of the pre-programmed, licence-free frequencies (within the band 446.0 - 446.1 MHz) approved by Ofcom, you'll need a licence.  All business radio licences are regulated and issued by Ofcom.

@MisterG here for more info;---https://www.radiotrader.co.uk/news/do-i-need-a-licence-for-a-two-way-radio.htm

3 hours ago, MisterG said:

What category would airsoft use fall under for the license and how long does it take to get one?

I mean its a personal "entertainments" use, the same as event coordinators would use for say managing a carpark or a small office security team might use.

1 hour ago, snuff said:

The question is really what are the benefits of getting the 5R over the 888's?Surely for airsoft the non-licence PMR 888's would suffice and keep you away from issues.

Yeah thats true, MOST sites aren't really going to be large enough to warrant a 4-5W transceiver, particularly as most are outdoors a PMR radio is always going to be the easiest and simplest solution.

Personally I  like my UR-5V because it can have some neat accessorises and the 5W helps get through the thick concrete walls of my local site, the mall. Plus I like playing around with radios as a hobby.

But also all of this is being discussed here already: 

I thought 888s went up to 2W, so still more than PMR power?

• Head Moderator

Moderator Comment

AFUK does not support and/or condone the breaking of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006 through criminal activity of using non-PMR radio equipment on PMR frequencies.  

Forum rules currently cover this point under "other illegal activities" - You cannot discuss anything that will help someone break the law in his or her locale.

Posts that infringe rule this will be removed. Remember that this forum has public access and we do not want to damage the reputation of airsoft or show it as a hobby needing more restrictions.

Use authorised radio equipment on PMR freqs or buy telegraphy license (at £75 for 5 years) for non-exempt radios.

On 07/08/2018 at 20:45, MisterG said:

I thought 888s went up to 2W, so still more than PMR power?

Baofeng 888's are not PMR radios, the easist way to look at is if they aren't PMR radios out the box, then you can't use them as such.

Baogeng 888's are a reprogrammable "business radio" which require a licence to use in the UK basically.

1 hour ago, Sticks said:

Baofeng 888's are not PMR radios, the easist way to look at is if they aren't PMR radios out the box, then you can't use them as such.

Baogeng 888's are a reprogrammable "business radio" which require a licence to use in the UK basically.

No licence is required,they are sold as PMR's and that is how you receive them,if someone decides to adapt or programme them otherwise then that is where issues may arise.We are talking about simple use within the bounds of PMR use.

Someone always plays devils advocate when someone asks a question like this and muddies the water,we are talking about the correct use they are designed for.Anything can be used incorrectly if the owner decide to do so,personaly if I wanted to use other bands I would get a better model..at least one with a display.

• Head Moderator

@snuff I disagree.  Most Baofeng 888s are programmed with preset frequencies that you’re not allowed to use without a licence. There are no frequencies that you’d be allowed to transmit on without some kind of licence (including PMR frequencies due to the 888’s power rating).

Even if you configure your radio to use the PMR frequencies, it will be outputting over 0.5w, at its lowest 1w or so requiring you to have a licence. So even though the PMR bands are licence-free the wattage determines your need to pay for a licence.

1 hour ago, snuff said:

No licence is required,they are sold as PMR's and that is how you receive them,if someone decides to adapt or programme them otherwise then that is where issues may arise.We are talking about simple use within the bounds of PMR use.

No I'm sorry that's just not true. In the link https://baofengradio.us/baofeng-888-black.html It clearly says they are 3-4W of power which is well above the 0.5W power limit of the PMR license/standard.

As mentioned by other users and also on this particular blog https://www.essexham.co.uk/news/baofeng-bf-888s-review.html the frequencies the 888 comes programmed with are not ALWAYS the same, and the frequencies used are often not PMR ones. Of course as @Jedi_Master suggests you can re-program the radio, however the power output cannot get low enough to be considered for PMR. A lot of people make the assumption that you can just buy any old radio and use it out the box, admittedly this is not helped by manufactures not having to mention any of this (Unlike the radio mic world where its pretty much stamped on the box if you don't by a license exempt one)

They are NOT sold as PMR radios, looking on Baofeng's official webpage they make no mention of PMR

Not being facetious but is a licence for those similar to a dog licence nowdays considering the circumstances of our limited usage?

As I said I didn't realise about the power restrictions,I thought the concerns were only over frequencies..

5 minutes ago, snuff said:

Not being facetious but is a licence for those similar to a dog licence nowdays considering the circumstances of our limited usage?

Its not about licensing its about fair use of space taking in consideration with power and frequency. I mean I could come along and use a 12.5W burner transmitter and then nobody would be able to talk except me. This is kinda the same as what you do when you use your 4-5W transmitters in an area of spectrum designed for 0.5W.

You may also feel its over regulation or needless licensing, but I know the other side of a deregulated, no license "free for all" (such as the TV spectrum in Milian) and trust me, you don't want that.

• Supporters
On 07/08/2018 at 03:14, Sticks said:

To chip in my 10 pence, I'd say get some of the Baofeng UV-5R. They're completely programmable and they also work in both UHF and VHF, giving you many more frequencies to work with and possibly (technically) a little longer ranger in VHF.

Don't forget you'll need a programming cable, but they're pretty cheap. You can get the software from their official website https://baofengtech.com/download its the "CHIRP" software you'll need

Also PLEASE don't forget to License your radios. Just using random frequencies is not only a dick move to those you might be transmitting over the top of its also completely illegal.

VHF generally will give a lower range at an airsoft site where there are lots of obstacles.  

• Head Moderator

Topic closed.  See Moderator Comment above. 

Archived