Female who’s just had my first CQB game!

swingledingle
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

It’s alright, first time on site so didn’t get the whole picture, few to many hills for an easy fun day, but good for tactical players.

Youll enjoy AP.. most people do!

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

13 hours ago, BibbsOnTour said:

That is strange... Like you said, I'd get it sent back!

From what I've seen through personal experience and YouTube etc. (might just be me who sees it) I feel you get more cheaters in CQB, could be due to the fast pace of it some people don't feel it because of adrenaline but who knows. But yes, it is definitely frustrating haha!

Yeah definitely male driven but my no means not a sport for the girls too! Yeahh you certainly get some of that too, you just gotta throw your bit in and surprise them all hahaha

The staff at Skirmish Billericay are great and you'll definitely feel welcome there. I haven't been to Plantation yet but definitely want to give it a look as well as some of the other local sites. 

It's rare for someone genuinely not to notice a hit. The only time it would normally happen is if the BB skims off someone's pouch while they're on the move, or maybe touches the bottom of their boot. If they have plates in their carrier, those won't be felt, but they'll make a very certain "crack" sound, so it's just as easy to recognise and call a hit with plates as without.

You'll know when you're dealing with a cheater, because everyone around you will be saying the same thing. I had that yesterday - was with my sniper rifle and I was sure I hit an enemy in the chest a couple times, but he didn't call it. Someone else thought they hit him too but no call. I took another shot which I watched through the scope as the BB flew downrange and pinged off his bare elbow - he flinched, then went back to playing. If you have that experience (everyone does at some point), just tell a marshal and usually they'll sort it out. If they don't, then that's a bit of wise feedback for you about that site.

14 hours ago, Prisce said:

I was there too, I was the lanky Twit in the DYEI4 mask... 

Give us a shout when you plan on going anywhere else in the area, we have been to almost all the local sites and usually have a good laugh!

That makes two of us lanky guys hahaha

I've got a "BIBBS" patch on my plate carrier and a fake Supreme one under that for a laugh which certainly gets mixed reactions :lol:

I might be going this Sunday but I'm out Saturday night so will see how rough I feel in the morning as just did this Sunday with a hangover and the heat mixed with that is certainly a dodgy combination hence why I left just before lunch :lol:

7 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

It's rare for someone genuinely not to notice a hit. The only time it would normally happen is if the BB skims off someone's pouch while they're on the move, or maybe touches the bottom of their boot. If they have plates in their carrier, those won't be felt, but they'll make a very certain "crack" sound, so it's just as easy to recognise and call a hit with plates as without.

You'll know when you're dealing with a cheater, because everyone around you will be saying the same thing. I had that yesterday - was with my sniper rifle and I was sure I hit an enemy in the chest a couple times, but he didn't call it. Someone else thought they hit him too but no call. I took another shot which I watched through the scope as the BB flew downrange and pinged off his bare elbow - he flinched, then went back to playing. If you have that experience (everyone does at some point), just tell a marshal and usually they'll sort it out. If they don't, then that's a bit of wise feedback for you about that site.

Yeahh at the end of the day it is usually down to bad sportsmanship, I like to give someone the benefit of the doubt the first time but as you say it usually quite quickly becomes apparent when someone is cheating.

When someone flinches from a shot and then continues, as much as it is annoying, I have to laugh because of how committed they are to continuing to play :lol:

3 hours ago, BibbsOnTour said:

That makes two of us lanky guys hahaha

I've got a "BIBBS" patch on my plate carrier and a fake Supreme one under that for a laugh which certainly gets mixed reactions :lol:

I might be going this Sunday but I'm out Saturday night so will see how rough I feel in the morning as just did this Sunday with a hangover and the heat mixed with that is certainly a dodgy combination hence why I left just before lunch :lol:

Yeahh at the end of the day it is usually down to bad sportsmanship, I like to give someone the benefit of the doubt the first time but as you say it usually quite quickly becomes apparent when someone is cheating.

When someone flinches from a shot and then continues, as much as it is annoying, I have to laugh because of how committed they are to continuing to play :lol:

Lol “lanky”.

I was scrolling through Sunday’s photos from The Village and first I didn’t recognise myself for a few minutes until I realised which player I was. Within a couple of months, I’ve gone from tall slim sprinter to Porkins McLardass. Couldn’t believe it when I realised.

Absolutely gobsmacked. Time for serious diet and exercise!

6 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

Lol “lanky”.

I was scrolling through Sunday’s photos from The Village and first I didn’t recognise myself for a few minutes until I realised which player I was. Within a couple of months, I’ve gone from tall slim sprinter to Porkins McLardass. Couldn’t believe it when I realised.

Absolutely gobsmacked. Time for serious diet and exercise!

Gotta get into some speedsofting then ;):lol:

Went into RoE today, luke sorted my SIG out! Turns out the fuse had fallen out of place, he taped it all down and it seemed to fire nicely! Can’t wait to give it a go, hopefully works for me now! 

I will be down to AP with my brother one weekend soon, need to get some kit though; goggles, mask, camo outfit 👌 need to get some target practice this weekend! 

Anyone know where I can get some cheap army gear like from a surplus or something? I’m based in Basildon.

33 minutes ago, swingledingle said:

Anyone know where I can get some cheap army gear like from a surplus or something? I’m based in Basildon.

I imagine there might be a couple of surplus stores in Chelmsford that may be cheaper but I think the prices at https://smssurplusclothing.co.uk/ are reasonable and localish to you near Billericay. They have a changing room there too if you aren’t sure of your size. They have the newer MTP stuff and the older DPM (though that isn’t usually listed online) alongside some new unissued stuff. They are also open on game days but you run the risk of not having your size in stock.

The lady who works there is dead helpful and if they don’t have your size she might be able to hunt some down and update you when she finds it. Your other alternative for cheap is fleabay. 

Also added this other other website but I have no personal experience with it. http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/shirts.html think they’re based in Basildon. But no idea if you can actually go in and browse the shop or if it’s online only.

Hi

Once you know your sizes you can also look on eBay.  I got most of my army surplus from there.

Cheers

G

Glad you got your gun sorted! For military stuff, best finding a shop with a good stock to try things on first. Sizing labels can be wildly inaccurate, especially if you have curves ! 

I can't preach the advantages of a good belt enough. I have a tiny waist and big thighs so I had to go for bigger size and rely on a belt. Also helps carry stuff if you attach pouches and can hold everything together if your trousers get damaged.

2 hours ago, Arwen said:

Glad you got your gun sorted! For military stuff, best finding a shop with a good stock to try things on first. Sizing labels can be wildly inaccurate, especially if you have curves ! 

Yeah I’ll definitely have to try some bits on then! Im chunky and funky so I’ll be sure to find that if I ordered it online it wouldn’t fit me! 

Im going to call that place in Bas to see if they have a shop, but I’ll be sure to pop into somewhere 

Welcome, always nice to see a more diverse player base, I have noticed more women up at Urban Assault recently so hopefully it will continue.  Can only echo what everyone has said re decent eye protection and footwear.  Do not scrimp on eye protection.

Non hit taking is usually everyone's main gripe once they get seriously into airsoft.  It happens, has always happened and will continue to happen.  There is no solution to human nature.  I personally find that whinging about it just puts more of a downer on my fun so have reached the stage now where I actively try not to let it bother me.  Blind firing bothers me much much more because that is actively being a dangerous douchebag.

The only solution I have found to non hit taking is to move into non skirmish based airsoft.  In particular, historical based games like Cold War, Vietnam etc.  I think this is due to a number of factors:

1.  The emphasis is on the story and background and not how many 'kills' you can get.

2.  Similarly, the emphasis is on the kit and equipment.

3.  Its a small scene so everyone knows each other and reputation counts for a lot.

Once you have gave skirmish a go have a look at historical stuff if it interests you in particular any of the games ran by Gunman Airsoft (next Vietnam game is 23rd Sept).  Kit is provided by Gunman if you dont have your own and to be honest Viet Cong Black PJs are fairly easy to find and cheap.

Anyway, enough of my rambling and welcome.  Never expect to have any money ever again...

Although the guns sorted, went and picked up my new lipo batteries and get all the way home and they don’t fit in the gun without being squished and even then the top hand rail won’t fit on 🙄 so another trip down to see Luke on Saturday! The cabs there and back are costing me more than this gun! 😂 

3 minutes ago, swingledingle said:

Although the guns sorted, went and picked up my new lipo batteries and get all the way home and they don’t fit in the gun without being squished and even then the top hand rail won’t fit on 🙄 so another trip down to see Luke on Saturday! The cabs there and back are costing me more than this gun! 😂 

You can get different types of lipo so perhaps he can switch your one for one that fits better.

Do you have a case or bag that you can take the gun down there in too?

Just now, BibbsOnTour said:

You can get different types of lipo so perhaps he can switch your one for one that fits better.

Do you have a case or bag that you can take the gun down there in too?

Yeah I’m hoping so, the ones he gave me had two long batteries attached to one another but they’re way too long. The singular ones my brother picked up fit fine.

I don’t have a case but I’ll take it down in the original box, unloaded and nice and safe 👌😂

12 minutes ago, swingledingle said:

Yeah I’m hoping so, the ones he gave me had two long batteries attached to one another but they’re way too long. The singular ones my brother picked up fit fine.

I don’t have a case but I’ll take it down in the original box, unloaded and nice and safe 👌😂

Ahh that'll be the one you want then :D

Good good :lol:

Good for you.

I have three daughters. 

I have been encouraging them and even my wife to join me. I have enough guns to kit them all out.

I think I'm getting close to persuading two of them

I would like to see more women in airsoft.

54 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

Good for you.

I have three daughters. 

I have been encouraging them and even my wife to join me. I have enough guns to kit them all out.

My other half said to me she wanted to come along for a game or two before I even suggested it to her! Very lucky me :D:lol:

1 hour ago, emilianoksa said:

Good for you.

I have three daughters. 

Not all girls like to play army I guess, and a lot of us find it a bit intimidating because of all the burly men waving guns around 😂

But it is a really good sport and a lot more females should get involved! It’s great to bring everyone together! 

1 hour ago, swingledingle said:

Not all girls like to play army I guess, and a lot of us find it a bit intimidating because of all the burly men waving guns around 😂

But it is a really good sport and a lot more females should get involved! It’s great to bring everyone together! 

Totally agree, my sister played once and was a f**cking Animal😂😂, made me look a bit pants! 

Here she is with all the gear on, plans on buying her own stuff soon!56C71E4F-2DBA-430D-A5F3-8952478B858B.thumb.jpeg.bb9735bac8bfb2c4ad588dd096f7c6df.jpeg

• Supporters
9 hours ago, swingledingle said:

Yeah I’m hoping so, the ones he gave me had two long batteries attached to one another but they’re way too long.

Damn, that's a shame.  I hope you get it sorted, but in the long term, any money you sink into this hobby will even out.  Workmate Eddie bought some long, thin crane stock Lipos that were too long for his M4, so we did a swapsies, they ended up in my MP5K, and he's running my holo sight now.  Smiles all round.

The cheapest site for lipos at the time of writing is Hobby King.  They list batteries with dimensions so you shouldn't get caught out: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries-chargers/batteries/lipo.html?battery_pack_use=2842

Archived