Jump to content
swingledingle

Female who’s just had my first CQB game!

Recommended Posts

Hey all!!

 

I stumbled across Airsoft through a shared video on Facebook of Silo a youtuber who’s videos intritugued me! I then look more and more into Airsoft and was amazed by how cool it looks!

 

So me, my brother and few friends tried out Hockley Airsoft which is a CQB site. Heard mixed reviews but was cheap and didn’t want to splash the cash on my first time incase I didn’t like it!

 

discovered I absolutely loved it and now cannot wait to play in an outdoor setting which I feel I would prefer a lot more!

 

Just wanted some advice on a beginners loadout, gun, tactics, UKARA, best places to go and shops to visit! All that good stuff! 

 

Thanks everyone!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh, Hockley, my local site. Albert has a great stock there, or you can try Rules of Engagement in Hadleigh, very friendly knowledgable shop.

RoE are affiliated with Airsoft Plantation in Billericay, a very well respected woodland site.

Also, Battlezone in Pitsea and Airsoft Zone in Romford are all decent local(ish) shops.

 

If you join MPA in Hockley, and use either their shooting range or go to practical pistol nights, they’ll sign you up for UKARA after the requisite three visits over two months

 

rdb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! My advise would be to go to a few more games, if you local site does not do a mix of CQB and open playing then visit a few sites so you can get a feel for different playing styles. Then you should have a reasonable idea of how you like to play (up close and personal, mid ranges and sneaky or far away plinking them off one at a time style 😉 ) That will determine what you will want to buy gun/loadout wise.  

 

Playing a few more games also lets you see and talk about lots of different guns, most folk at airsoft love talking and showing off their guns so don't be afraid to ask! 

 

If money is burning a hole in your pocket right now, spend it on some good eye/face protection. Having decent face protection that doesn't get in the way, doesn't fog and is simple to put on and off made my experience playing a whole lot better! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Arwen said:

If money is burning a hole in your pocket right now, spend it on some good eye/face protection. Having decent face protection that doesn't get in the way, doesn't fog and is simple to put on and off made my experience playing a whole lot better! 

This.

Get good eye protection.

The recommendation from most players as top tier eye protection is the Dye i4 face mask. It's full face, So it protects your teeth and eyes. Well worth the investment and if looked after will last a long time.

https://www.bzpaintball.co.uk/paintball-goggles/dye-goggles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your much braver than me doing CQB straight off the bat, I didn't do it till I had more gear and padding than a hockey goalie.

 

I would suggest keep going to that site if you enjoy it once every month and try other sites till you get your UKARA sorted out (play on same site 3 times with 3 months between 1st and 3rd game) then consider guns.

In the mean time to talk to everyone you meet, most will have some useful knowledge or become a good mate to play with. I would invest in a decent set of goggles, lower face protection and a hat you like to protect your forehead.

 

This forum is a great source of information with lots of people who play this way too much who you can ask questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Game Cam said:

Your much braver than me doing CQB straight off the bat, I didn't do it till I had more gear and padding than a hockey goalie

 

The pain is one of the best bits of CQB.

 

I didn't like it at first.. but I compare it to eating chilli's.

Keep trying until you can handle (and then enjoy) the heat.

It's addictive in a weird way :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Loadout" is whatever you need to carry your spare magazines, if any.  I tried a molle vest but am currently happier using a cheap belt and braces.

 

Beginner gun is the G&G CM16 Raider, unless you can find a reason to get anything else.  They really are nice for the money.

 

Tactics are take your hits, and don't mind the shouty geardos screeching "Move up!  Move up!" from 30 feet behind you.

 

Online shops are SWAS Airsoft and PatrolBase in the UK, or TaiwanGun or GunFire (both Polish) if you want to scrape every penny.  Avoid any shop with "BB" in the name!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone your comments have been really helpful!

 

although I Know I should have waited until I did my 3 matches to gain my UKARA, I eagerly went ahead and bought a SIG 552 from roe firearms! They had a great deal on so couldn’t help myself! Unfortunately when test firing it just died on me and plugging in a healthy battery won’t even make it dry fire! Taking it back soon to see what went wrong!

 

As for CQB it was good and boy did some of the shots hurt, but I found in the commotion and adrenaline rush some of the opposite team wasn’t calling blatant hits and also ignored the close up rule of no shooting! 

 

And talking to other players I really would like to do more! I found that it was difficult at first, it felt like when a female walked in everyone was whispering then pointing in my direction, and not many people wanted to speak to me! After a while some teammates involved me more within the game, but in the kitting up room wasn’t very vocal! I guess this will come with time! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm no tech but by the sounds of it if your gun isn't even firing at all or trying to do so maybe it's somehow shorted? Maybe the battery was too powerful or something?... Like I said, not a tech so I wouldn't quote me on that!

 

That is one of the best parts of CQB as everything is moving so fast you don't really have time to think about the stinging bits where you been shot haha

 

There was like one girl at Skirmish in Billericay when I went yesterday and it was funny how some people were looking genuinely shocked by the presence of a girl but in fairness she was probably the 5th or 6th female I've seen and I've been doing it since about March haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BibbsOnTour said:

in fairness she was probably the 5th or 6th female I've seen and I've been doing it since about March haha

I don't see many girls playing sadly but I'm usually glad when I do see one cause every girl I have played with has been a team player and objective focused which I can't say for all the lads.

(Maybe I'm just lucky)

There was one that called me a casual so I went on the other team and we had a great day of banter, competitive rivalry and shooting each other in the face!

(And as much as it pains my ego to say this but she was better than me)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Game Cam said:

I don't see many girls playing sadly but I'm usually glad when I do see one cause every girl I have played with has been a team player and objective focused which I can't say for all the lads.

(Maybe I'm just lucky)

There was one that called me a casual so I went on the other team and we had a great day of banter, competitive rivalry and shooting each other in the face!

(And as much as it pains my ego to say this but she was better than me)

After I told my girlfriend I was getting into it she looked it up and now she wants to come try it out at some point too so that'll be a right laugh, I just worry that she might get better than me as I can already imagine the sort of grief I'd get off her if she got me a good few times in the face :lol:

 

But yeah i know what you mean as every girl I've seen is always a team player more so than the guys haha and that sounds like a right laugh:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it pretty much was like 1st shot fine 2nd, 3rd and on the 4th just nothing, no dry fire nothing at all! 

 

It was a good experience! Just frustrating when people don’t call hits or ignore rules! 

 

I know! From my first time at Hockley I noticed it’s defintely a male driven sport, and from what I heard very boysterous banter 😂 but I’m quite a tomboy hence why I want to play army with all the lads 👌 hopefully Billericay is a nice warm welcome! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, swingledingle said:

Yeah it pretty much was like 1st shot fine 2nd, 3rd and on the 4th just nothing, no dry fire nothing at all! 

 

It was a good experience! Just frustrating when people don’t call hits or ignore rules! 

 

I know! From my first time at Hockley I noticed it’s defintely a male driven sport, and from what I heard very boysterous banter 😂 but I’m quite a tomboy hence why I want to play army with all the lads 👌 hopefully Billericay is a nice warm welcome! 

That is strange... Like you said, I'd get it sent back!

 

From what I've seen through personal experience and YouTube etc. (might just be me who sees it) I feel you get more cheaters in CQB, could be due to the fast pace of it some people don't feel it because of adrenaline but who knows. But yes, it is definitely frustrating haha!

 

Yeah definitely male driven but my no means not a sport for the girls too! Yeahh you certainly get some of that too, you just gotta throw your bit in and surprise them all hahaha

 

The staff at Skirmish Billericay are great and you'll definitely feel welcome there. I haven't been to Plantation yet but definitely want to give it a look as well as some of the other local sites. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t played at Billericay Skirmish (not even sure you are talking about that site) but I visited the site on game day to go to the shop (not much Airsoft specific stuff like guns but a fair amount of clothing at reasonable prices) the staff were very friendly and welcoming, a Marshall even asked if I wanted to come out for a game but time constraints. Players seemed friendly too, was surprised that southerners returned my greeting.

 

Next time I’m down that end I may give it a go, variety being the spice of life and all. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had read up about Billericay and didn’t know that skirmish billaricay and plantation were different things! Nice guy at the shop recommendend plantation as it is where he plays! 

 

I just cant wait to get more into the sport, once I’m more into it I’ll defintely feel more at home! And excited about all the calories I’ll be burning 😂 

 

I found the marshalls at Hockley we’re lovely! Accidentally shot one and he took it like a champ so in my good books haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swingledingle said:

And talking to other players I really would like to do more! I found that it was difficult at first, it felt like when a female walked in everyone was whispering then pointing in my direction, and not many people wanted to speak to me! After a while some teammates involved me more within the game, but in the kitting up room wasn’t very vocal! I guess this will come with time! 

 

I can't speak for the local guys to you, but I've found that if I start talking to the guys first in the morning (usually during chrono/breifing) then they are fine and will keep talking  for the rest of the day. Just ask a question about their gun or something similar to break the ice. "Whats that?" is probably my most common question at airsoft... with me pointing to a strange bit on a gun, or a weird looking thing someone has attached to them :D

Not sure if a lot of guys simply don't feel comfortable talking to women at airsoft cause they don't them to be uncomfortable/ appear to be to be a lech. 

I think the normal assumption is that if a women is at a game day, she's there with one of the other guys... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Arwen said:

 

I can't speak for the local guys to you, but I've found that if I start talking to the guys first in the morning (usually during chrono/breifing) then they are fine and will keep talking  for the rest of the day. Just ask a question about their gun or something similar to break the ice. "Whats that?" is probably my most common question at airsoft... with me pointing to a strange bit on a gun, or a weird looking thing someone has attached to them :D

Not sure if a lot of guys simply don't feel comfortable talking to women at airsoft cause they don't them to be uncomfortable/ appear to be to be a lech. 

I think the normal assumption is that if a women is at a game day, she's there with one of the other guys... 

Yeah that sounds like a plan actually when you put it that simply it sounds easy aha! 

 

Ill defintely pop  some questions for them to answer and they might not feel so uncomfortable after that! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luke at RoE will sort the gun, he’s a top bloke and will be mortified it stopped firing. Plantation is the place, and they’ll be gett8ng you to buy a Vector next 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon I'm gonna have to have a go down Plantation now too as it seems to be the place to go judging by all these responses!:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Luke at RoE will sort the gun, he’s a top bloke and will be mortified it stopped firing. Plantation is the place, and they’ll be gett8ng you to buy a Vector next 😉

Haha I hope so! You wouldn’t believe how sad I was! I really was looking forward to my first aeg! Like a kid in a candy shop! Ruined my whole day aha! Shops open Tuesday so will pop down then! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good eye protection is the first thing anyone should buy. I've heard great thing about the Dye i4 masks for CQB. Then take some games trying out different rental guns and seeing what kind of style suits you best, by which time you'll be UKARA eligible and can get your RIF of desire.

 

It can be a bit of a laddy game at times, but you really do get all kinds of people, and we are trying to open it up and become a lot more diverse in our player base in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BibbsOnTour said:

That is strange... Like you said, I'd get it sent back!

 

From what I've seen through personal experience and YouTube etc. (might just be me who sees it) I feel you get more cheaters in CQB, could be due to the fast pace of it some people don't feel it because of adrenaline but who knows. But yes, it is definitely frustrating haha!

 

Yeah definitely male driven but my no means not a sport for the girls too! Yeahh you certainly get some of that too, you just gotta throw your bit in and surprise them all hahaha

 

The staff at Skirmish Billericay are great and you'll definitely feel welcome there. I haven't been to Plantation yet but definitely want to give it a look as well as some of the other local sites. 

I was there too, I was the lanky Twit in the DYEI4 mask... 

 

Give us a shout when you plan on going anywhere else in the area, we have been to almost all the local sites and usually have a good laugh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Prisce said:

I was there too, I was the lanky Twit in the DYEI4 mask... 

 

Give us a shout when you plan on going anywhere else in the area, we have been to almost all the local sites and usually have a good laugh!

You was at Hockley Friday night? 😂🤷🏻‍♀️ Was we on the same team? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, swingledingle said:

You was at Hockley Friday night? 😂🤷🏻‍♀️ Was we on the same team? 

No sorry, was at skirmish Billericay with @BibbsOnTour

 

Havent been Hockley yet, but I tend to stick to the outdoors, I prefer running around and falling into trees rather than walls. 

 

Airsoft Plantation is great, huge numbers every week, huge varied site and great Marshall’s. Well worth a trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×