wanting to get into the hobby

robwigan
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello 

I have been shooting air guns for a few years and while watching YouTube reviews of a air rifle and pistol found air soft vids.

I would love to give this a go as it is I know for a fact right up my street, I am how ever unsure of a few things 

how do I go about joining the air soft register ?

my biggest concern I am going to have to go on my own and not in a group can I still take part, I'm not keen on walking in on my own with 30 other people that know each other very well.

what are some starter items I can buy?

any one from the north west recommend a good place to play ?

• Supporters

For the register you can either go for ukara, which will mean playing a few games (3 games not within 2 months) at a site or you could go down the route of joining a re-enactment club. That's assuming you want to avoid 2-tone and get a "black rifle" otherwise if your ok with 2 tone you can just buy whatever you want right now.

In terms of getting into the sport i'd reccommend the following:

Good boots (doesnt matter what type, just as long as theyre sturdy and comfortable for you)

Gloves

Camo of some description (dpm or flecktarn surplus is cheap and effective)

Good eyepro, personally i like bolle stuff but have a look around and see what you like, theres no point skimping on eye pro

A face mask, especially for cqb, not strictly necessary but i'm assuming you like teeth.

Getting webbing/gear is 

Apart from that just go, youre fine to rent on your own, chat to the regulars, make freinds etc and just enjoy yourself.

26 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

For the register you can either go for ukara, which will mean playing a few games (3 games not within 2 months) at a site or you could go down the route of joining a re-enactment club. That's assuming you want to avoid 2-tone and get a "black rifle" otherwise if your ok with 2 tone you can just buy whatever you want right now.

In terms of getting into the sport i'd reccommend the following:

Good boots (doesnt matter what type, just as long as theyre sturdy and comfortable for you)

Gloves

Camo of some description (dpm or flecktarn surplus is cheap and effective)

Good eyepro, personally i like bolle stuff but have a look around and see what you like, theres no point skimping on eye pro

A face mask, especially for cqb, not strictly necessary but i'm assuming you like teeth.

Getting webbing/gear is 

Apart from that just go, youre fine to rent on your own, chat to the regulars, make freinds etc and just enjoy yourself.

would I have to wait 3 months before buying a black rifle them? I would not be ok using  a 2 done weapon. 

24 minutes ago, robwigan said:

would I have to wait 3 months before buying a black rifle them? I would not be ok using  a 2 done weapon. 

If a two tone weapon bothers you you're likely not gonna be in the sport for the right reasons. You will get got by kids with two tones IFs all the time. The poser in you will rage hard and likely choose not to call hits from those.

Get over it mate. Rent first if a 2 tone is that big a game changer. But honestly the fact you say it's something you're not willing to do makes me question your motives on general.

24 minutes ago, robwigan said:

7 minutes ago, robwigan said:

which is what I planned on doing I have no intention of buying a rifle 

What?

3 minutes ago, Duff said:

If a two tone weapon bothers you you're likely not gonna be in the sport for the right reasons. You will get got by kids with two tones IFs all the time. The poser in you will rage hard and likely choose not to call hits from those.

Get over it mate. Rent first if a 2 tone is that big a game changer. But honestly the fact you say it's something you're not willing to do makes me question your motives on general.

What?

I have no intention of buying a rifle before renting.

I also like the fact I'm being bracketed as a poser before I have even gone and cheating due to not wanting to buy a two tone rifle. I shoot ridiculous looking air rifles at hft meets part of the reason military SIM sports appeal to people is down to them being realistic or close to being realistic so I don't see an issue with me not wanting a 2 tone gun. 

hopefully the rest of the people I encounter doing this are nothing like yourself as I will have no chance 

You took that how I expected.

Point is why is a two tone a no no? What difference does it make? Everyone will tell you here it will make none.

If the looks of a RIF matter then yeah you are a bit of a poser. As are a lot of airsofters. 

Best advice is follow the advice given and don't worry about the colour of a gun. The bb'ssure won't. 

When do the summer holidays end?

11 minutes ago, Duff said:

What?

I'm asking for advice on starting out buying basic equipment like the first guy said boots ext.not a gun

I know I have to rent guns to start and they will be 2 tone what I was asking was will I have to wait 3 months before buying a black gun 

2 minutes ago, robwigan said:

I'm asking for advice on starting out buying basic equipment like the first guy said boots ext.not a gun

I know I have to rent guns to start and they will be 2 tone what I was asking was will I have to wait 3 months before buying a black gun 

You can only buy two tone guns until you’ve got a ukara which takes 3 months by getting a membership at your preferred site, you have to attend 3 games in a time span longer then 3 months 

rent guns are black normally at any site I’ve ever played 

1 minute ago, Duff said:

You took that how I expected.

Point is why is a two tone a no no? What difference does it make? Everyone will tell you here it will make none.

If the looks of a RIF matter then yeah you are a bit of a poser. As are a lot of airsofters. 

Best advice is follow the advice given and don't worry about the colour of a gun. The bb'ssure won't. 

When do the summer holidays end?

what I was saying is I don't want to have to buy a two tone gun as I'm sure you have some black guns in your collection. 

if I'm paying 500 pounds for a gun then I want it to be one I like and I was asking does it take 3 months too clear and be able to this. I  have no issue using a 2 tone but I don't want to buy one when its my money and I should be getting something I like 

Just now, Cleaners inc said:

You can only buy two tone guns until you’ve got a ukara which takes 3 months by getting a membership at your preferred site, you have to attend 3 games in a time span longer then 3 months 

rent guns are black normally at any site I’ve ever played 

this was the info I was asking for re the gun purchase 

2 minutes ago, robwigan said:

this was the info I was asking for re the gun purchase 

Ignore duff, he’s a pain in the arse 😂. Going off your name you’re local to me. Go book on an the mill in Wigan. You can visit the ‘firstandonlyevents’ website to book a game and select a rental package. All of the dates are there too.  Once you’ve played 3 games in no less than 2 months (stops people going sat, sun, wed then buying a gun) you ask the site to put you on the register. Your membership number will then allow you to buy RIF’s. 

You’ll be given a face mask and a gun. I’d highly reccomend a good pair of boots for ankle support. Once you get into it, some good eye pro/ face pro, and if you’re playing CQB a pair of trousers with knee pads are really handy. The rest is all just taste. 

Where in wigan are you based?

i wouldn’t want a two tone either. 

Wolf

Its actually 3 games in not less than 56 days at a proper site. Once you have done that you can ask the site to put you on the UKARA database . Then you can buy RIF's (black guns). Otherwise, just turn up and rent a gun and have fun. As previously said , good boots are essential and personally I would buy your own eye and face pro. That really is all you need to start playing, yes camo etc is handy but I've been shot by kids in jeans often enough. Just go play and see if you enjoy it.

3 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Ignore duff, he’s a pain in the arse 😂. Going off your name you’re local to me. Go book on an the mill in Wigan. You can visit the ‘firstandonlyevents’ website to book a game and select a rental package. All of the dates are there too.  Once you’ve played 3 games in no less than 2 months (stops people going sat, sun, wed then buying a gun) you ask the site to put you on the register. Your membership number will then allow you to buy RIF’s. 

You’ll be given a face mask and a gun. I’d highly reccomend a good pair of boots for ankle support. Once you get into it, some good eye pro/ face pro, and if you’re playing CQB a pair of trousers with knee pads are really handy. The rest is all just taste. 

Where in wigan are you based?

i wouldn’t want a two tone either. 

Wolf

thanks mate I live near the centre of town pool stock of that's any sense to you.

thank you this is what I was looking for

Just now, robwigan said:

thanks mate I live near the centre of town pool stock of that's any sense to you.

thank you this is what I was looking for

Yeah, I know where that is. I’m the other end at Abram. And questions just give me a message. The mill is on swan meadow road near slaters 

6 hours ago, robwigan said:

Hello 

I have been shooting air guns for a few years and while watching YouTube reviews of a air rifle and pistol found air soft vids.

I would love to give this a go as it is I know for a fact right up my street, I am how ever unsure of a few things 

how do I go about joining the air soft register ?

my biggest concern I am going to have to go on my own and not in a group can I still take part, I'm not keen on walking in on my own with 30 other people that know each other very well.

what are some starter items I can buy?

any one from the north west recommend a good place to play ?

Judging by your name im guessing that you are from wigan. Near Gower Street McDonald's theres a place called 'the first and only airsoft' check out their Facebook page. I go there a lot and everyone is friendly. You can just turn up and pay on the door. If you have your own gun its £17.50 or £25 if you are hiring their G36 (their masks are shit so if you can pick up a pair of eye protection youre in a good position these have good reviews Bolle TRACPSI Tracker Safety Goggles Vented Clear: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003UGDQ66/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_6VDzBb8584AE4  

Also you dont need to worry about what you wear, but something comfy on your feet, I wear jeans instead of tracksuit bottoms and a tee shirt under my plate carrier (which you dont need) along with some mechanix gloves. You will have to sign an insurance waver and watch some really boring video (boring but important). You can sign up for membership right away but this will not give you your UKARA (the lads have covered how to get that). The lads there are fantastic and I dont think ive had the same games played any time ive been. Theres a few lads that go are on there own, a real nice polish guy who will go out of his way to talk to you along with a few other guys. Im there on Tuesday (i think) just look for the guy with the spiderman patch. Ill say hello to you! Sont worry about getting an AEG just yet, get into it first then see what you like. 

Hope some if any of this helps you.

Dave

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Duff said:

isn't that just a little harsh? i get what you're trying to go for but the poor fella just wants a bit of advice.

if he's wanting to drop a big wad on a nice shiny gun first off then fairs fair if he wants to avoid 2 tone, sure it'll perform the same but it's a choice we get to make, and if he's dedicated enough to put his time in with renting then it's the same difference.

4 hours ago, Mathias33 said:

+1 to the boots, especially if you play outdoors. Just stay away from boots like Magnums.

Uhhh, what's wrong with magnums? I used them for years...

4 hours ago, Mathias33 said:

+1 to the boots, especially if you play outdoors. Just stay away from boots like Magnums.

Magnums are great boots 

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Seven said:

Uhhh, what's wrong with magnums? I used them for years...

i've heard the newer stuff isn't as good, i have an old pair that i've used for years but i'll admit to being hesitant to buying another.

9 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i've heard the newer stuff isn't as good, i have an old pair that i've used for years but i'll admit to being hesitant to buying another.

Yeah it's been a while since I owned a pair so can't comment on current form but when I had mine they were brilliant warm weather boots. Nice and light and airy, nothin worse than hot, sweaty damp feet when you're on long exercises.

I eventually moved to Lowa's though. Much much heavier but good for all weathers imho, especially in cold weather.

Hanwag's also get my approval.

But as with most things, if you neglect them they will punish you.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Seven said:

Yeah it's been a while since I owned a pair so can't comment on current form but when I had mine they were brilliant warm weather boots. Nice and light and airy, nothin worse than hot, sweaty damp feet when your on long exercises.

I eventually moved to Lowa's though. Much much heavier but good for all weathers imho, especially in cold weather.

Hanwag's also get my approval.

But as with most things, if you neglect them they will punish you.

i got mine in germany a good while ago now (back when the pound was pretty strong and it meant they were relatively cheap) and they've been pretty good. although they're starting to get a bit worse for wear these days, more than a lick of polish to get them back in order so i might just be looking for something new before long.

that said, i did once play a game in my rigger workboots because i legitimately forgot i was wearing them until someone pointed it out, which is a good way of telling how good a bit of kit is.

+1 to lowa’s. They’re expensive, but I use mine 10 hours a day for work and then for airsoft. They’re on my feet 60+ hours a week and they’re still like the day I bought them. Best £160 I’ve ever spent 

Archived