Is the heat affecting numbers at sites?

Hitman_Actual
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

possibly, last time i was out it was brutally warm and surprisingly it was a great game as there was a significant drop in creative use of game mechanics.

that said, snowy weather doesn't help attendance either.

Not by any large degree I'd imagine.

Only rain keeps me away, I'd love a bit of snow, any excuse buy some more camo.

Got a game this Sunday, which forecast says it'll be a scorcher.

Just means I'll have to load up the camelbak with ice.

For me personally I'd say yes.

I don't enjoy playing in 30+.

Rained last weekend, I would have played, but not enough turned up.

But each to his own.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

This time of yr I’d be more inclined to say it’s going away on holidays and the kids being off that have more of a detrimental effect on Numbers at a skirmish as apposed to the weather ? 

2 minutes ago, Game Cam said:

I have found attendence doesn't change as much as how long people stay for.

I have been going as much as I have before it's just now I'm usually doing half days.

Funny you mention that. Last game they dropped out saying it was too hot.

Yet me being an old bugger was dying to keep going.

Kids these days, no stamina.

On 03/08/2018 at 18:13, Druid799 said:

This time of yr I’d be more inclined to say it’s going away on holidays and the kids being off that have more of a detrimental effect on Numbers at a skirmish as apposed to the weather ? 

....and making for better game days *wink wink*

I played yesterday with a max temp of I think 32 was hard work but as people have mentioned so long as you keep hydrated and keep it in your head to make the right decisions then its fine playing in the heat. Personally I prefer playing in the rain... even less numbers although indoor sites go up dramatically.

Yesterday on site there was over 100 players by the last game at 4 we were down to 18 a side. I don't think the heat is stopping people play but it is certainly effecting stamina. 

24 minutes ago, BigStew said:

Yesterday on site there was over 100 players by the last game at 4 we were down to 18 a side. I don't think the heat is stopping people play but it is certainly effecting stamina. 

As per my above post, when marshaling we warm people to get enough sustenance on board through out the day and on particularly hot days we have enforced water breaks but again people leave. I do notice that a lot of people still decide to run full plate carriers which for a skirmish I find totally mental! so long as you can carry your mags and maybe a few bangs if you desire why bother with anything else?!

• Moderators

not sure on this as haven't played many in the hot weather, i did however use the DMR yesterday as wasnt up for running around as much, but moved slower / walked (mainly woodland so easier for that)....afternoon swapped over the G33 as in the village ;)

with other players, i didnt see much change in play....some were still not taking their hits!! :lol::lol:

It's certainly affected how many bites I got, I'm sodding covered on my ankles and constantly itching.

Doesn't look like ticks so looks to me like fleas, yeah lovely.

They've all but buggered off, teaches me right for not using the repellent in all that heat yesterday.

• Moderators

ive never used repellent, hear some people use the stuff from Avon....maybe they are just attracted to you :wub:

• Supporters
5 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

....and making for better game days *wink wink*

Nudge nudge wink wink say no more ?😉

get the more dedicated/serious S’ofters in these situations ? The same ones you see in the winter when it’s either P**sing down or freezing , or both ! Less ‘casual’ players . 

3 hours ago, djben9 said:

ive never used repellent, hear some people use the stuff from Avon....maybe they are just attracted to you :wub:

Yeah perhaps they think I'm one of them.

I use the Avon stuff and it's pretty good, eating lots of garlic works well.

Just serves me right for doing nothing this time around.

4 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

As per my above post, when marshaling we warm people to get enough sustenance on board through out the day and on particularly hot days we have enforced water breaks but again people leave. I do notice that a lot of people still decide to run full plate carriers which for a skirmish I find totally mental! so long as you can carry your mags and maybe a few bangs if you desire why bother with anything else?!

We do the same I think we're just get more tired quick playing heat even with hydration. The game areas were littered with people dumping rigs mid game. 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, BigStew said:

We do the same I think we're just get more tired quick playing heat even with hydration. The game areas were littered with people dumping rigs mid game. 

and as yesterdays games i noticed more arguments and lower standards of play....:(

2 hours ago, djben9 said:

and as yesterdays games i noticed more arguments and lower standards of play....:(

that is sad it does tend to happen towards the end of the day. 

18 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Nudge nudge wink wink say no more ?😉

get the more dedicated/serious S’ofters in these situations ? The same ones you see in the winter when it’s either P**sing down or freezing , or both ! Less ‘casual’ players . 

Fairweather airsofters are the same as any fairweather players of any sport in my opinion. why let the weather bother you just be prepared (god I sound like a fucking army recruitment video) I actually heard a few people saying on Sunday...

"I don't normally play in the heat or the rain but today I made an exception because my friends came and were  having a picnic at lunch" - they actually did and even had a blanket out!

Doesn't make you hard or soft I just find it weird that people wont play in certain weathers, maybe it does come down to preparedness, maybe it comes down to people thinking fuck that its raining my pew wont pew if I get it wet or maybe people just don't like having to go through the effort of looking after their kit if the weather means cleaning it when you get home...

20 hours ago, djben9 said:

not sure on this as haven't played many in the hot weather, i did however use the DMR yesterday as wasnt up for running around as much, but moved slower / walked (mainly woodland so easier for that)....afternoon swapped over the G33 as in the village ;)

with other players, i didnt see much change in play....some were still not taking their hits!! :lol::lol:

I did the same to some extent played a slower more tactile game than I'm used to playing and others seemed to as well and in fairness actually made for better gaming because people were thinking what they were doing more, alas same thing happened for me with hit taking being a bit iffy at times.

16 hours ago, djben9 said:

13 hours ago, BigStew said:

that is sad it does tend to happen towards the end of the day. 

It sure is,  I don't know why people let the mist get the better of them If I'm playing I much prefer to just walk off have a bit of a moan to myself or my mate, have a quick fag/drink/bite to eat and then get back into it. No point throwing handbags around. Same goes for hit takers if they are not taking a hit I don't see the point in getting all shouty from one side of the field to the next if a marshal isn't near by I either shoot for a particularly stingy bit or just move on and make a note of who it was.

16 hours ago, BigStew said:

I'm surprised the amount of people I saw running full rigs, even saw one guy carrying 3 guns about with him all day ... you can pick up a chest rig these days for like <£20

2 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Fairweather airsofters are the same as any fairweather players of any sport in my opinion. why let the weather bother you just be prepared (god I sound like a fucking army recruitment video) I actually heard a few people saying on Sunday...

"I don't normally play in the heat or the rain but today I made an exception because my friends came and were  having a picnic at lunch" - they actually did and even had a blanket out!

Doesn't make you hard or soft I just find it weird that people wont play in certain weathers, maybe it does come down to preparedness, maybe it comes down to people thinking fuck that its raining my pew wont pew if I get it wet or maybe people just don't like having to go through the effort of looking after their kit if the weather means cleaning it when you get home...

I did the same to some extent played a slower more tactile game than I'm used to playing and others seemed to as well and in fairness actually made for better gaming because people were thinking what they were doing more, alas same thing happened for me with hit taking being a bit iffy at times.

It sure is,  I don't know why people let the mist get the better of them If I'm playing I much prefer to just walk off have a bit of a moan to myself or my mate, have a quick fag/drink/bite to eat and then get back into it. No point throwing handbags around. Same goes for hit takers if they are not taking a hit I don't see the point in getting all shouty from one side of the field to the next if a marshal isn't near by I either shoot for a particularly stingy bit or just move on and make a note of who it was.

I'm surprised the amount of people I saw running full rigs, even saw one guy carrying 3 guns about with him all day ... you can pick up a chest rig these days for like <£20

A couple of out regulars carried 4 or 5 pistols at all times however they wear tacti kilts which probably counter act the weight. I was carrying a ppk and AA12 for test shots and was knackered just carrying them. 

• Supporters
20 hours ago, djben9 said:

I like to call it ‘the lunch time crash’ all morning the games are banging along nicely , the Adrenalin is flowing even old barstuard’s like me feel semi alive again ! 😇 but then we stop for lunch .

Lunch over games re-start , but players mite be feeling a bit cold now , you are feeling stiff as well  , not feeling as full of vigour as you were (energy levels are down even though we’ve had lunch) there’s definitely no adrenaline flowing now , SO it all goes to ratshit on the field ! 

One solution I think would go a long way to help is have a regen game running over the lunchtime period . Have a team death match running (no real objectives in it just kill/get killed/repeat) fixed regen point for each team , keep the levels up . Then after the lunch period start back with the structured games and ‘hopefully’ won’t be as many grumpy asses leaving the safezone ? 

3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

I’ll be honest I do try to avoid playing if it’s really pissing down , I’ve got the kit for the job but I just don’t enjoy it , bit of drizzle or intermittent showers once I’m there I’ll put up with but if it crappy weather in the run up to the gameday and the forecast is the same for the day i’ll call endex and don’t go , when I was a ‘wee sprog’ didn’t bother me standing around in a slit trench on Senni with the the rain coming sideways for hrs waiting to move or just holding fast , but now I’m just too old for that shit anymore .

Cold ? Nah that’s fine don’t bother me at all , bringing it on ! 👍

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

I’ll be honest I do try to avoid playing if it’s really pissing down , I’ve got the kit for the job but I just don’t enjoy it , bit of drizzle or intermittent showers once I’m there I’ll put up with but if it crappy weather in the run up to the gameday and the forecast is the same for the day i’ll call endex and don’t go , when I was a ‘wee sprog’ didn’t bother me standing around in a slit trench on Senni with the the rain coming sideways for hrs waiting to move or just holding fast , but now I’m just too old for that shit anymore .

Cold ? Nah that’s fine don’t bother me at all , bringing it on ! 👍

Haha dont envy on on the sennybridge point! been there a few times and its uncanny how as soon as its an airsoft event its like a biblical plague of weather conditions! I don't really have an option weather wise as when I'm working I have to stand it no matter what so I've just got used to it now playing in it makes no odds. I remember a time at Copehill when we were sleeping in our HQ and it was so hot anything and everything that could melt perishable wise did! My cooler was a puddle of water within an hour of being out the car.

Archived