Airsoft Forums UK

Battle belt, plate carrier or both?

MILITATED
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Long story short, I have a battle belt and a plate carrier. Both of which I love, but I can fit all the stuff I carry on one or the other. Could divide it between the two if I really wanted to though, but doesn't seem practical for what I currently have. For the life of me, I cannot decide what to use. Belt is great but plate carrier is cool. Took a look at the recent plate carrier thread but I would like the following answered:

What do you prefer running, as per the title? Why do you run what you run and what have your experiences been with either?

For reference, I have a WAS Recon PC and WAS Gunfighter belt, so neither are bulky.

I have a WAS recon and an FRV shooters belt. At big games like Anzio, the plate carrier with the belt is my preference. It’s almost entirely outdoors and I’m about to carry everything I need comfortably so I don’t need to go back to the save zone. 

In contrast, I now tend to just use a belt for CQB at places like the mill. There’s lots of little tunnels and cutouts that make it difficult to squeeze through with a plate carrier. I tend to run a pistol and or an mp7 though. Running multiple gas m4 mags on a belt would be impractical. 

For me it comes down to comfort, carrying capability and protection vs speed, manoeuvrability and low weight.  

I'm new to airsoft only played my first game last week. But from my own mind I will like to keep it light and simple have what I need and that's it. So a belt looks to be the way I will go, less encumbrance. Keep low move fast seem the way to go. Though I have only play at a small site so fast shorts movement was the order of the day. But come down to what your more comfortable with. 

• Supporters

I use both , wether I’m running a lightweight mini ‘chicken plate’ type carrier for my KSG (which is just a shotgun shell caddy, dump pouch and radio that’s it) or I’m running a fully loaded FSBE for an impression setup (like my USnavy special boat crew loadout) I always run my pistol and ‘nades on the belt and nothing else and everything else on the carrier .

Have been running this system for a good few yrs now and it works well for me .

I have both and use both, but I run mid caps, lots of pyro, sidearm, hydration carrier, and grenade launcher etc so it wouldn’t all fit on just one. 

I will be sorting a belt only setup for when I’m using my new DMR though as wont need as much stuff 

• Supporters

Honestly, other people's preferences are never really going to help you.  Fact is, less weight = moving faster/easier, but if you want the cool looks then hey it's airsoft you do your thing.

The way to decide for yourself is to just keep using stuff.  If you keep using it, you will figure things out over the course of time.  I've run every just about ever possible combo going at this point and the conclusion I've come to is that the key factor to consider when choosing gear is purely the weather.

Personally I'd run both.

I don't have a belt yet but already my plate carrier is a bit full and I'd like to have at least one more pouch. If I put it all just on my plate carrier it'd be so cramped and hard to get at each pocket in the heat of the moment if I needed to. At the moment I have an admin pouch, 3 double stacked tacos, a grenade pouch on my left hip, a large all purpose pouch  on my right and LBX mini map on my back + comms pouch beside it.

I just want to spread it out a bit more so to answer your question - both, with my loadout.

But as CKinnerley said it's purely down to personal preference and I doubt you run exactly the same as me so my input is only gonna be so useful to you! As CK said just run various combos and find what works best with certain loadouts and in certain conditions :)

• Supporters

Belt and harness. 

Lightweight, enough space for gear, more manoeuvrability, faster moving. Also easier to feel hits.

Depends on your play style, if you play for realism I’d stick with plate carrier. If you play for fun and being one of those on the front line just running and gunning, belt all the way. 

I have both and alot of factors come into play as what I will use.

If it's really hot I'll probably just run a belt.

If it's CQB I'll probably run a vest cause I bruise like a peach (even though sods law means they always shoot around it).

If I'm having to parkour then I'll usually just have shoulder holster and maybe a little pouch on the back of my belt.

If it's like going out for ages I'll take vest, belt and backpack.

And I might not even bother with a tac belt and just got with a normal one from top man I use to hold my trousers up.

I usually bring both anyway and decide at the place.

Ive gone to just running a belt. I dont like to put too much stuff on to anything otherwise i just end up filling it with crap i just dont need. No point in carrying extra weight if you dont need it

so  now i just run a battle velt with 2 double m4 mag pouches, 2 pistol mag pouches, first aid kit, utility pouch, grenade pouch and my pistol holster.

Pics guys if you don't mind, im new to the sport and I'm a run and gun so looking for a good belt setup, just now I have a hI capa 5.2k but looking to buy the new scorpion evo :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Just read this on another forum, definition of what a plate carrier should do ! 😉

A plate carrier has three main purposes. 

1. Stopping holes (plates)

2. Plugging holes (IFAK)

3. Making holes (mags)

any thing else is unessential on it but if you do wish to carry additional items that’s up to you . 

Love it ! 😂😂 

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Just read this on another forum, definition of what a plate carrier should do ! 😉

A plate carrier has three main purposes. 

1. Stopping holes (plates)

2. Plugging holes (IFAK)

3. Making holes (mags)

any thing else is unessential on it but if you do wish to carry additional items that’s up to you . 

Love it ! 😂😂 

Did someone say unessential items?

EC86F9D7-4F68-40B2-BC1A-35695244BFAF.jpeg

8 hours ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

Did someone say unessential items?

EC86F9D7-4F68-40B2-BC1A-35695244BFAF.jpeg

What's that sticking out of the backpack?

Cheers

G

I run a battle belt,  with two pistols and mag pouches, but find a harness essential to keep it up.

It works fine but I sometimes think a 5.11 Operators belt and 5.11 molle vest combo would have been more practical.

That way I could have run the pistols in paddle holsters and the pouches on the vest for better weight distribution.

1 minute ago, emilianoksa said:

I run a battle belt,  with two pistols and mag pouches, but find a harness essential to keep it up.

It works fine but I sometimes think a 5.11 Operators belt and 5.11 molle vest combo would have been more practical.

That way I could have run the pistols in paddle holsters and the pouches on the vest for better weight distribution.

Normally, your hips should be taking the weight, so your belt may need adjusting.  If your shoulders are doing the work, you will get tired faster and get back ache.

I was doiing the same until my ex-army mate fixed it for me.

Though after a hip op, the above may not apply.  Hope it mends quickly.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

i preferr belt, but i have started using pc only fir the f2000, 6 midcaps with stacked pistol pouches that take an assortment of pistol mags, grenades and 40mm shells with the hi capa strung across the top.

it doesn't help my already over-specced waistline but it's not that bad.

i've tried running pc and belt a few times and just felt it was too restrictive.

Archived