Customs delay?

Seven
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Folks,

Have any of you had items held at customs for long periods of time? How long normally?

I have 6x hi-capa prowin mags from HK that have been sitting in Langley HWDC for over a week now. Im getting concerned.

Ordered on the 11th of July, shipped on the 20th and been held at Langley since the 24th.

45 minutes ago, Seven said:

Folks,

Have any of you had items held at customs for long periods of time? How long normally?

I have 6x hi-capa prowin mags from HK that have been sitting in Langley HWDC for over a week now. Im getting concerned.

Ordered on the 11th of July, shipped on the 20th and been held at Langley since the 24th.

See if you can get contact details to check if they have sent out a RIF declaration or a fees bill to you, but hasn’t turned up

Would you believe it?

About 10 minutes after this post the tracking updated to say it's left and it's on the way.

Guess I'll find out if im getting a duty bill soon enough...

Screenshot_20180801-215315_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Seven said:

Would you believe it?

About 10 minutes after this post the tracking updated to say it's left and it's on the way.

Guess I'll find out if im getting a duty bill soon enough...

Now you have a lovely fee to look forward to!

On 01/08/2018 at 23:37, Aengus said:

Now you have a lovely fee to look forward to!

Just got the bill today... £43... Could have been worse...

3 hours ago, Aengus said:

£1 more than I guessed ;). Did yours arrive "dirty" aka kind of oily?

Not got it yet just paid the fee, will be delivered Monday.

I'll let you know.

Im guessing yours came dirty?

The package or the contents?

22 hours ago, Seven said:

Just got the bill today... £43... Could have been worse...

How much were the mags if you dont mind me asking. I paid a recent customs bill that was more than the item i bought (minus postage) haha. Bastards. 

There are a number of costs to importing:

1). The item price

2). International postage

These you will pay (but many Chinese/Hong Kong items are free post as the seller may be in a subsidised trading zone, and the international postal agreement treats them as a developing country)

3). There may be the option of “import insurance” or pre paid import fees to the seller

In theory this means the seller arranges payment of import duty / vat, but often means they just make false declarations and will refund your costs if it gets picked up

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

4) excise duty 

Depending on the classification of the goods there may be excise duty.  (Mainly booze & fags)

5) customs duty

The current threshold is £135.

If the goods assessed value is less than that, then you don’t pay customs duty

(But note that the valuation used may be the stated value on the declaration, or the goods are assessed at a value.  These values used to exclude postage, but it is now taken into account)

6) Import VAT

If thresholds are exceeded then you get charged VAT at the current rate (20% for most goods)

This is where two thresholds apply - £15 for ‘goods’ or £39 for ‘gifts’

This is why many false declarations from China / Hong Kong state “gift” or “commercial sample”

If any of those apply and you haven’t a prearranged account then you get sent a bill

including carrier fees 

7) carrier fees

These generally have been around £8 to £20, but do vary.

This is a fee raised by the importing carrier (not necessarily the carrier it was sent by as they may not have the international facilities)

It is for their staff to handle your item, the paperwork and for it to sit in their bonded warehouse etc

There is a way to avoid import costs - use UK retailers.  Even if goods don’t appear to be available then contact some retailers, they may have them anyway, get it via their supplies or may import for you.

The benefit is you support UK retail, they will be importing somehow already and are likely to be able to do it more efficiently than you

53 minutes ago, Polluxtroy69 said:

How much were the mags if you dont mind me asking. I paid a recent customs bill that was more than the item i bought (minus postage) haha. Bastards. 

$300, so about £228, bud.

4 hours ago, Aengus said:

Ps. The duty was actually £42.68, I just rounded for simplicity. So you were even closer than £1, lol

On 04/08/2018 at 14:03, Aengus said:

As for arriving dirty/oily. Mine was fine.

Re stuff from Parcelforce - once you have the tracking number - give them a call, ask for the Customs Number from them - most of the time they will give it sometimes they wont - tell them you want it so you can pay fee online - saves some time waiting for the letter.

• Supporters
On 04/08/2018 at 18:42, Seven said:

$300, so about £228, bud.

Ouch!  Oh, I see those are the 40 round extended mags... for the Hi-Capa that you don't have yet. :D

I guess you could press the release and spray people down with them... 🤔

Heads up, something that Workmate Eddie just encountered at the Depot is that they interpret the UKARA requirements as 2 full calendar months, rather than 8 weeks / 56 days.  So in practice, that'll be 10 weeks to get UKARA, or 9 if you sneak in a half day alternate Sunday.  He didn't want to argue the toss with them since it's entirely up to them whether they process the form or not. :(

On 04/08/2018 at 17:08, Seven said:

Not got it yet just paid the fee, will be delivered Monday.

I'll let you know.

Im guessing yours came dirty?

The package or the contents?

Not mines but a couple of people I know who bought them recently the magazines themselves were oily. Most likely production lubricant as they're billet but who knows.

Also shame you didn't fraudulently avoid the tax (got 4 in the sale and don't want to be stung haha) ;)

4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Ouch!  Oh, I see those are the 40 round extended mags... for the Hi-Capa that you don't have yet. :D

I guess you could press the release and spray people down with them... 🤔

Heads up, something that Workmate Eddie just encountered at the Depot is that they interpret the UKARA requirements as 2 full calendar months

Yeah I contacted Jonno before I went for my first game to clarify the requirements. He told me that my 3rd game has to occur after, not on, 56 days, so given they only hold a gameday every 2 week's I had already worked out that, given my first game day was July 8th, my final qualifying game day is Sept 16th, or the Sunday before since they have now started the half days in between.

Im ok with the wait in all honesty. Would be nice to get it over with faster but meh, it'll come soon enough.

And yeah it was the 40rd extended mags. 6 of them... For a hi-capa I don't have yet, haha! Super hyped for getting it and rocking it for the first time!

Got my TRMR and multishot for next game day though so at least I have something new to play with!

1 hour ago, Aengus said:

shame you didn't fraudulently avoid the tax (got 4 in the sale and don't want to be stung haha) ;)

In fairness to ehobby they did mark it as a gift and undervalued it by $100 so they did me a solid but given that still means a value of $200, I still got a bill. It could have been worse!

And yeah I get the lubricant feeling on the mag casing. I do have that but it's very very light. Seems like they gave them a wipe with some silicon spray.

Not a bad thing I don't think.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Seven said:

Yeah I contacted Jonno before I went for my first game to clarify the requirements. He told me that my 3rd game has to occur after, not on, 56 days

Urgh.  I've ranted about this before, but UKARA.org.uk contradicts itself in the very same sentence: " to become a registered airsoft player you are required to take part in three games at the same UKARA registered game site over a minimum of two months, e.g. the third game being 56 days or more after the first "

To be honest, I think I sneaked mine in on exactly 8 weeks because they got a pile of forms handed in that day and didn't check them too closely.  But they checked Eddie's and Computer Says No.  He should be licensed numbered up by now though, and might even have bought a TM Glock from CamoRaids - I'll find out on Monday when I'm back in work.

1 hour ago, Seven said:

Got my TRMR and multishot for next game day though so at least I have something new to play with!

Team-kill Aengus with it, he loves that. ;)

23 minutes ago, Aengus said:

Like they don't feed well at first or the valves and things are weird 😂

Oh, do you know someone who might very kindly offer to try them out, as a special favour? :D

5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Urgh.  I've ranted about this before, but UKARA.org.uk contradicts itself in the very same sentence: " to become a registered airsoft player you are required to take part in three games at the same UKARA registered game site over a minimum of two months, e.g. the third game being 56 days or more after the first "

Team-kill Aengus with it, he loves that. ;)

Yeah, the whole thing is just a pain but im not one to argue or kick up a fuss about something so slight. Once you've waited 8 weeks, what's 2 more? Or 1 more as the case happens to be now.

These half day games have come at just the right time for me perhaps. A blessing in disguise. Means I can spend less cash on hire weapon entry fees. But at the cost of losing a great outdoor site according to those that played there.

Oh, is Aengus a depot player? I'll try my best! Point him out and I'll chuck it in his direction, lol

41 minutes ago, Aengus said:

Like they don't feed well at first or the valves and things are weird 😂

As Mr Borg hinted at, I don't currently have the appropriate weapon to test them for function just yet. Soon!

The purchase was entirely preemptive.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Aengus said:

Moving away from the depot. Pain in the arse trying to get friends organised before stuff sells out an prefer the faster gameplay of the fortress with the smaller site and no medic rules :). Any time I see a team mate with a nade I instantly go 5m backwards now @Rogerborg

Which is why I always carry two grenades so that there's no escape for my team. :P

The Fortress is a bit far for me for regular play, but I might treat myself to a day out there if it's got the thumbs up.

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Which is why I always carry two grenades so that there's no escape for my team. :P

The Fortress is a bit far for me for regular play, but I might treat myself to a day out there if it's got the thumbs up.

Faster paced, a lot more chilled than the depot and also a lot more sociable! There’s a few annoying choke points as with most sites is the only criticism I can give.

+100 for slidey floors if you’re a young buck who’s happy to slide about everywhere such as @Rogerborg;)

Archived