6yr old killed by "pellet gun"

Tiercel
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-44980034

Tragic news, details sketchy at the moment, but initial impression that it's been caused by a "pellet gun". This strikes me as unusual wording as if it was an air rifle/pistol they'd say so. Pure speculation but perhaps one of those CO2 4.5mm steel pellet pistols. God forbid it turns out to be an airsoft gun.

Without any further details it's  difficult to say but I'm concerned given our governments love for pointless kneejerk reactions, I'm wondering if there's going to be tighter legislation coming on RIFs as a result. 

All speculation obviously.

Law exists already to keep airweapons out of the hands of children. I hope the law is enacted appropriately. Lets remember that this is somebodies terrible tradgedy.

2 hours ago, BigStew said:

Only thing that matters at this point is the catch who did it. 

Not only this, but if it was children playing (which it has been in the past) then this needs to be brought to the person who A) owned it and didn't keep it safe, or B) supplied the children with it - which should carry a strong penalty.

On the face of it this sounds similar to the case a few years ago which was the cause of introducing a legal requirement to secure air weapons under the crime and security act

These aren’t the only cases and won’t be the last 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Tommikka said:

On the face of it this sounds similar to the case a few years ago which was the cause of introducing a legal requirement to secure air weapons under the crime and security act

Mmm.  On the limited info available, I'd hazard a guess that Uncle Cool left a .177" air pistol around where the lad could get at it.  It's already covered by legislation, but that won't stop some  moral crusader screeching for banning all assault toys so that people who don't care about breaking the law won't be able to break the law.  That's how Scotchland got airgun licensing.  Finger crossed that this case doesn't turn  into anything similar.

Archived