Why does eveyone rave about deans?

mattaddiction
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

It isn't so much that deans are so much better.....

It is mainly coz the default small tamiya are so $hit !!!!

Deans - XT60 - bullet/banana connectors - anything is better than small tamiya

Think deans have just become the standard - pref the ridged ones

For the absolute dedicated saddo - run thick 16/14awg with no breaks/fuse

solder direct to motor than use 2.8mm connector etc....

yeah I still use motor connectors - only done that to the AK12 project (v3 box/motor)

though deans are as cheap as f*ck to buy

& perhaps XT60 might even offer very very slightly better contact (if done correctly)

think you could re-use deans easily from dead battery or old gun loom

not just deans are better but small tamiya are so crap

other connectors are good too but deans are cheap as chips

plus they can be easily re-used if you are a tight ar$e - if they still connect snugly (should do unless well old)

imho easy to solder to, just as long as a table vice or grips taped to bench etc....

as long as the connector is immovable when soldering - walk in the park I feel

key the connector tin, flux etc... usual solder technique - job done

15 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Which manufacturers would those be?

The manufacturer of the connectors of course;

E-flite for the EC3 & EC5 (60 amp & 120 amp respectively)

Hextronics for the XT series (the number after the xt denotes amps, 30 60 & 90 are available)

Otherwise go on mouser, farnells or RS & look up the datasheets.

If you want cheap, high amp & easy to solder, just use a 3.5mm brass bullet connector and heat shrink em in lieu of housing.

I used to use bullet connectors when flying rc helis and planes . As soon as I satrted arisofting all my aegs went to deans. I could have gone to bullet connectors but for having some sort of order I went for deans. I do admit I remove the fuse and also hardwire/solder everything in my guns so the only connection is the deans to my mosfets. I think when you start going hi amp draw setups then any good connector barring mini tamiya is good. Each to there own at the end of the day ;) .

12 minutes ago, Mike W said:

I used to use bullet connectors when flying rc helis and planes . As soon as I satrted arisofting all my aegs went to deans. I could have gone to bullet connectors but for having some sort of order I went for deans. I do admit I remove the fuse and also hardwire/solder everything in my guns so the only connection is the deans to my mosfets. I think when you start going hi amp draw setups then any good connector barring mini tamiya is good. Each to there own at the end of the day ;) .

Why do you remove the fuse?

On 29/07/2018 at 13:29, Duff said:

Why do you remove the fuse?

I remove my fuses as my mosfets have built in fuses and it frees up room in the buffer tube. Also one less connection to worry about. Only way my aegs can lock up is if they break but then I take my finger off the trigger to stop any other damage being done.

Nothing stopping you removing the fuse. Less to go wrong... Just remember any issues dont keep the trigger pressed and keep an eye on the motor and battery temps.. As long as the gun has a good shim then unless something fails or the motor height changes then it should be ok . This is just my preference with my own guns tho ;)

Archived