Why does eveyone rave about deans?

mattaddiction
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Having finally changed my Tamiya connectors to something 'better' prompted by sticking a Gate Titan in my main AEG I'm curious why everyone raves about deans connectors?

I found them terrible to solder (i'm not a novice with an iron..!)  and I just don't like the solder points (flat contact..), ended up using XT60's which to my mind are a far superior connector (and seem better enginered) , decent bucket solder points that take the wire and the solder, nice and solid and mate very well.

So curious why I've not heard more about XT60's over Deans..??

matt

It gives a better electrical connection, so less resistancce, so you don't lose as much energy though the connector, tends to improve ROF.  Don't get as much arcing, so less likely to get a connector failure..

Also deans is pretty popular amongst the RC brigade so finding lipos with deans connecters was easier. My RC helicopters are all non deans and getting the connecters apart can be a real pain which isn't ideal when you've got 30 inches of carbon fibre rotor blades right under your nose. Its very unlikely the system will glitch and the rotors will spin but it can happen, so you want the battery out as fast as pos and deans split more easily hence the popularity.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, mattaddiction said:

Having finally changed my Tamiya connectors to something 'better' prompted by sticking a Gate Titan in my main AEG I'm curious why everyone raves about deans connectors?

I found them terrible to solder (i'm not a novice with an iron..!)  and I just don't like the solder points (flat contact..), ended up using XT60's which to my mind are a far superior connector

Can’t be that good at soldering then never heard anyone else blame the connectors ! 🤣🤣🤣

deans are the other type of connector mainly fitted to commercially sold batteries besides Tamiya .

• Supporters

xt60 is a popular choice i've noticed in the rc flying world, but deans has become the de-facto "please god don't use tamiya connectors"

i wouldn't say deans/xt60 are really any superior to each other, and i've never had a problem soldering them, the way i do it is tin the wire first, then pre-apply a nice big blob onto the connector before melting the 2 together.

the really big difference is over tamiya connectors, i've seen tamiya connectors catch fire in scenarios of heavy use and whilst admittedly it's less common in airsoft due to how we use our guns it's not something i want to have in mine if it can be easily avoided. tamiya might have been great in the 80's before the dawn of lipo technology and there was no alternative, but these days we have better options.

• Supporters
10 hours ago, mattaddiction said:

I found them terrible to solder

Get tae flux. :P

They're fine, you just need a man sized iron to get enough heat into the connector.

To be fair, XT60s look good too, but I can buy batteries with Deans already on them.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, koppel said:

It's largely fashion & following the crowd.  Tamiya is inferior but there are many many alternatives that are equal or better to deans, EC3's for example.

‘Largely fashion & following the crowd’  What have you been sniffing ? !😳

There are many different connectors on the market (and yes a few are superior to deans) but it’s the market standard as an alternative to tamiyea , fashion has F’ all to do with it it would be a nightmare buying batteries if there wasn’t a standard to follow and the price would rocket ! .🤦‍♂️

Silly boy ! 😂😂😂😂😂

Personally I rave about Deans because after fitting them I could definately feel the "difference" from the NiMH on Tamiya to Lipo on Deans. Of course the snappiness could be attributed to either but I am convinced it's an equal measure of both.

Also I do what I'm told.

Wait no I don't.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

‘Largely fashion & following the crowd’  What have you been sniffing ? !😳

There are many different connectors on the market (and yes a few are superior to deans) but it’s the market standard as an alternative to tamiyea , fashion has F’ all to do with it it would be a nightmare buying batteries if there wasn’t a standard to follow and the price would rocket ! .🤦‍♂️

Silly boy ! 😂😂😂😂😂

indeed, it's like the apple lightning cable, sure it might be 20% faster or whatever, but the standard is better because its the standard, you can borrow mates chargers for example.

not too dissimilar to the 5.56 argument, are there better rounds for that role? yes, are they better enough to justify the mass changing over? nope.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Duff said:

Personally I rave about Deans because after fitting them I could definately feel the "difference" from the NiMH on Tamiya to Lipo on Deans. Of course the snappiness could be attributed to either but I am convinced it's an equal measure of both.

Also I do what I'm told.

Wait no I don't.

When I first changed over to deans Lipo wern't that prevalent (yes Duff I’m an old barsteward !) so I put them on my nimh batts and there was marked improvement after doing it , I’d even go as far as saying it was more noticeable tamiya to deans on the nimh that when I did the same thing when I bought a second hand AEG that came with a Lipo that still had tamiya .

1 minute ago, Druid799 said:

When I first changed over to deans Lipo wern't that prevalent (yes Duff I’m an old barsteward !) so I put them on my nimh batts and there was marked improvement after doing it , I’d even go as far as saying it was more noticeable tamiya to deans on the nimh that when I did the same thing when I bought a second hand AEG that came with a Lipo that still had tamiya .

Ah interesting. I should imagine the higher quality connector will always feel like a marked improvement, maybe it's just a placebo though.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Duff said:

Ah interesting. I should imagine the higher quality connector will always feel like a marked improvement, maybe it's just a placebo though.

Actually no my main gun then was a TM recoil socom and it sounded faster AND when we stuck it through the chrono I’m sure it was chucking something like 2 more RPS as well . 

No problem on size of iron, the gas-powered lance is quite happy with real man-sized connectors, RC/plastic pea shooter baby battery connectors are no problem.

Not a willy waving competition (I know,  odd concept on an Airsoft forum...), I can solder both just fine, but the difference is night and day between the two, hence I was wondering why everyone raves about Deans so much and XT60's don't get much of a mention.   XT60's having a proper solder bucket you can tin and then the wire goes in to, makes assembly much faster ( I can probably get 3 or 4 done in the tie it takes to do 1 Deans, that maybe I'm used to using a hot iron to work quickly and the flat tab doesn't hold the wire at all) and to my mind a far better mechanical connection on the solder point (with regard connectors been pulled apart).  Or maybe I just like the Yellow over Dark red... ! 

And my question wasn't about the superiority over a Tamyia, no argument there (I had always worked on the principle of it it works don't mess, hence only just changed them over, new trigger forced it,  that and it meant doing all the battery packs...) , both mechanically and electrically (you can just look a the Tamyiac connectors and see how rubbish they are especially the cheap ass ones, in fact, some almost fall apart if you look at them...so best not to!). 

I can quite believe seeing a Tamyia catching fire, I took a look at the wire loom on one of my guns (trying to track down a problem) once with a thermal imager and it was quite interesting seeing the Tamiya's glowing away.... 

Anyway was just a curiosity, quicker to disconnect and more prevalent on retail battery packs makes perfect sense why Deans are more common.  There cheaper to I noticed, which is probably a big factor for retailers.  Some interesting and informative replies there.

If I hadn't had to change the ends over on my batteries I guess I wouldn't have given a crap and just used Deans and been part of that club,  as that's what came on the new trigger.  Electrically they both seem to be on par with each other so no argument there over which is better in use.

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Silly boy ! 😂😂😂😂😂

Alternative connectors are literally pence, so 'skyrocketing prices' is horseshit. High amp draw (50 amps +) RC stuff uses EC3/EC5 and the batteries are often less expensive than "dedicated" airsoft  batteries despite being exactly the same. If you can't solder, yes you're gonna get conned with outrageous markups.

• Supporters

i think tbh the quickness of assembly is kind of a moot point, the only people that care about that are manufacturers and they go for tamiya.

to each their own, if you wanna use xt60 i doubt anyone's gonna judge you unless you're asking to borrow batteries :D

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, koppel said:

Alternative connectors are literally pence, so 'skyrocketing prices' is horseshit. High amp draw (50 amps +) RC stuff uses EC3/EC5 and the batteries are often less expensive than "dedicated" airsoft  batteries despite being exactly the same. If you can't solder, yes you're gonna get conned with outrageous markups.

Yes I know the connectors are cheap as chips BUT it’s got bog all to do with it , if everyone wants there own specific connector on each battery then yes the price IS going to rocket simple economics .

Plus once you touch the batt with an iron you’ve just voided your warrantie on it so if it goes tits up ? tuff and if it takes your AEG out as well ? Double tuff with a side order of F**k you too .

So yea I do think there’s a valid reason everyone sticks with deans . 

32 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Yes I know the connectors are cheap as chips BUT it’s got bog all to do with it , if everyone wants there own specific connector on each battery then yes the price IS going to rocket simple economics .

Plus once you touch the batt with an iron you’ve just voided your warrantie on it so if it goes tits up ? tuff and if it takes your AEG out as well ? Double tuff with a side order of F**k you too .

So yea I do think there’s a valid reason everyone sticks with deans . 

If your a manufacturer making 1000's or 100,000 of an item using a part that is twice the price (even if it's pence per part) suddenly does make a huge difference, so that makes perfect sense that the common good option form most manufacturers would be Deans for a decent connector.   Making half with one and half with another flavour (or been an end supplier changing per customer request) would certainly ramp up prices, in a very price sensitive market.   Make naff all to the Airsofter that might be changing 10 or so connectors...

Curious what is going to go 'Tits up' and ruin an AEG from changing a connector on a battery... ?   

Agreed, thats definitely a good reason to stick with Deans.

m

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, mattaddiction said:

Curious what is going to go 'Tits up' and ruin an AEG from changing a connector on a battery... ?   

Basically every airsofter you ask thinks there greatest with a soldering iron and couldn’t possibly produce a shit job ! 

And even if you admit your crap at soldering (as do I , utterly useless with one) what’s the guarantee the tech you get to do it for you is as good as they say ? Hence I’d rather have a ‘market standard’ connector on a battery that I can just pick up for a reasonable price ? 

I buy my batteries from Hobbyking and not really noticed much of a difference between Deans and Tamiya, I'd happily pay a pound extra for Deans, and it is often much less than that.

Cheers

G

2 hours ago, Druid799 said:

BUT it’s got bog all to do with it , if everyone wants there own specific connector on each battery then yes the price IS going to rocket simple economics .

I've really no idea what you are blathering on about.

Anyhow deans are rated for 40amps max. Stock AEG's have around a 35-40 amp peak draw and 15-20amp average draw on full auto fire, so deans are marginal on upgraded guns. EC3 are rated for 60 amps, as are XT60's.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, koppel said:

Anyhow deans are rated for 40amps max. EC3 are rated for 60 amps, as are XT60's

Rated by whom?

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, koppel said:

I've really no idea what you are blathering on about.

I would try and explain but unfortunately I can’t find any crayons . 

Nor the inclination .

Archived