Testing BBs

gasman
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Glad to hear you are doing well MisterG my table above reflects exactly what you say why did you not stay with the G&Gs was it because you had difficulty getting them in the weights you wanted?

Dino I would not tell you what to buy or from whom but a good manufacturer does not let a bad batch leave the factory, quality control and men of science with very expensive testing machines make sure of that.

Some manufacturers do not have the same quality control and seem to rely on guesswork or poor materials for their mixes hence size, weight, air bubbles injection mould  marks, roundness and how and if they shatter.

Try as many makes as you can and record if they feed well group well and if you shoot at a close hard target how they shatter.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gasman said:

Glad to hear you are doing well MisterG my table above reflects exactly what you say why did you not stay with the G&Gs was it because you had difficulty getting them in the weights you wanted?

Couldn't find the G&Gs in .30 when I needed them.  Will probably go back to them now that I have nearly used up the ones I have.

Cheers

G

4 hours ago, gasman said:

Dino I would not tell you what to buy or from whom but a good manufacturer does not let a bad batch leave the factory, quality control and men of science with very expensive testing machines make sure of that.

Some manufacturers do not have the same quality control and seem to rely on guesswork or poor materials for their mixes hence size, weight, air bubbles injection mould  marks, roundness and how and if they shatter.

Try as many makes as you can and record if they feed well group well and if you shoot at a close hard target how they shatter.

Will do.  Thanks for all your hard work. :) 

• 1 month later...

Just found a few interesting charts I thought you all might be interested in relating to BB weight and distance. Lots of variables with this as every gun setup is different but your average quality gun should give the same results.

http://mackila.com/airsoft/atp/07-b-07.htm

I get 120feet using .25bbs in my guns with ease at 350fps and accurate. I can also shoot .32 bb weight and get the same distance but more accurate.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, gasman said:

Just found a few interesting charts I thought you all might be interested in relating to BB weight and distance. Lots of variables with this as every gun setup is different but your average quality gun should give the same results.

http://mackila.com/airsoft/atp/07-b-07.htm

I get 120feet using .25bbs in my guns with ease at 350fps and accurate. I can also shoot .32 bb weight and get the same distance but more accurate.

yeah they did a lot of work for that analysis, i did something similar to work out the advantages of different ammo although not quite to the same depth (they covered effect of firing up to get more reach etc)

the key difference between heavy and light ammo is because heavier ammo doesn't slow down as much due to drag it stays in the velocity region where the hop is lifting it for longer (hence more range) and keeps more kinetic energy (which means when it hits the target is more likely to feel and subsequently call it) and ofc the accuracy comes from being less effected by wind/leaves.

Ok played at Absolute air-soft Reading yesterday in the snow and found someone with a bag of .25 Proballs that were not feeding in his gun properly.

I measured and tested the BBs for size and roundness and though they had come from a sealed bag they were not of the same quality of the Proballs I had previously tested.

The BBs were not round , had marks from die seperation and were crap quality but polished.

The player had not purchased from Socom tactical but from another stockist.

I wonder if this is a random batch or is Proball lowering its quality control!

My son in law just bought a bag of 80,000 which are of good quality in .25.

So before I buy in bulk again I will sample and test and If not of good quality I will make my stockist and you aware!

Out of curiosity have your tried looking at 'the draft club' range of bb's. I have been running their .28's for the last year and not noticed any issues over that time.Though i notice they seem to have changed marketing tact and done away with their 'rewards' scheme

On 04/02/2019 at 12:16, gasman said:

Ok played at Absolute air-soft Reading yesterday in the snow and found someone with a bag of .25 Proballs that were not feeding in his gun properly.

I measured and tested the BBs for size and roundness and though they had come from a sealed bag they were not of the same quality of the Proballs I had previously tested.

The BBs were not round , had marks from die seperation and were crap quality but polished.

The player had not purchased from Socom tactical but from another stockist.

I wonder if this is a random batch or is Proball lowering its quality control!

My son in law just bought a bag of 80,000 which are of good quality in .25.

So before I buy in bulk again I will sample and test and If not of good quality I will make my stockist and you aware!

I also am not impressed. They really do not feed well. But I will caveat this because I stripped all my midcaps down and cleaned them out and put Teflon dry lube into them and they seem a lot better. Time will tell. But I do not trust proballs now. 

It seems that anything out of China is a hit or miss when it comes to tolerance or quality. I cant understand how they would let a batch of such bad quality leave the factory.

If I find my next tested bag is poor I will go back to G&G PSBP or Swiss Arms depending on price!

I do find Mid-caps as they age feed progressively worse springs weaken.

• 4 weeks later...

Myself and a fellow skirmishes both just used bags of Proball 0.25 Bios yesterday and we both agrees we probably wouldn't finish off the bag and just keep them as emergency reserves.

They were getting hung up in speed loaders meaning loading midcaps was even more of an inconvenience.  We both noticed an approx 10fps drop in our m4s (and my 1911) compared to what we were using before (in my case G&G, can't remember what he said he was using).  Also noticed some separation marks on them.

I can't explain the fps drop but it was definitely a thing as I checked with some G&Gs and the fps was back.

Had a few flyers, and although I didn't have any feeding issues, he did.

Also the seal on the bag came away on one side meaning it's no longer scalable.  

So overall enough niggles/issues that we both decided we wouldn't use them again.

Incidentally we both bought from Socom Tactical .

Am considering emailing Socom to let them know, in case there is a bad batch out there.

For the price difference between brands of B.B. of the same weight and amount, I’ve no idea why everyone doesn’t just buy Geoff’s? I’ve never heard a single bad thing about them. They are really consistent and really tough. I run them in all of my GBBR’s and I’ve never had one shatter in a chamber unlike other brands. 

As for Bio’s.. I’d rather change airsoft site than put Bios in my gun. I bought some relatively expensive airsoft surgeon bio’s and they were rubbing off on the speedloader mag adapter. If they leave white marks on stuff just loading, then I don’t want them anywhere near my barrel

Seeing as how in Scotland sites are a lot further apart, and most have bio only rules, which I think should be introduced everywhere, or it will become another objection against airsoft the next nearest site to me is almost 100 miles away.

Will perhaps try Geoffs, but will be bios. 

On 04/03/2019 at 14:53, MagpieAirsoft said:

Myself and a fellow skirmishes both just used bags of Proball 0.25 Bios yesterday and we both agrees we probably wouldn't finish off the bag and just keep them as emergency reserves.

They were getting hung up in speed loaders meaning loading midcaps was even more of an inconvenience.  We both noticed an approx 10fps drop in our m4s (and my 1911) compared to what we were using before (in my case G&G, can't remember what he said he was using).  Also noticed some separation marks on them.

I can't explain the fps drop but it was definitely a thing as I checked with some G&Gs and the fps was back.

Had a few flyers, and although I didn't have any feeding issues, he did.

Also the seal on the bag came away on one side meaning it's no longer scalable.  

So overall enough niggles/issues that we both decided we wouldn't use them again.

Incidentally we both bought from Socom Tactical .

Am considering emailing Socom to let them know, in case there is a bad batch out there.

Do let Socom know how bad the current batch is I am amazed, its like they are from another manufacturer. it seems the manufacturer sends out good first order and crap after that, I am going back to G&Gs as they are always the same consistent quality. and you are right geoffs are good for the heavier weights.

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 15:44, Wo1f said:

For the price difference between brands of B.B. of the same weight and amount, I’ve no idea why everyone doesn’t just buy Geoff’s? I’ve never heard a single bad thing about them. They are really consistent and really tough. I run them in all of my GBBR’s and I’ve never had one shatter in a chamber unlike other brands. 

As for Bio’s.. I’d rather change airsoft site than put Bios in my gun. I bought some relatively expensive airsoft surgeon bio’s and they were rubbing off on the speedloader mag adapter. If they leave white marks on stuff just loading, then I don’t want them anywhere near my barrel

Geoffs bios are great, no issues with them at all. Interestingly I wouldn't use anything non bio

I would like to use bio BBs if you did not have to pay so much more for them. The bio BBs I have looked at seem to always be dusty so need washing the night before use. The G&Gs seem cleaner than most.

44 minutes ago, gasman said:

Do let Socom know how bad the current batch is I am amazed, its like they are from another manufacturer. it seems the manufacturer sends out good first order and crap after that, I am going back to G&Gs as they are always the same consistent quality. and you are right geoffs are good for the heavier weights.

So I did email them all of the details  and they say they have checked several bags and all of theirs are fine.  Asked me for photos, but as I used most of them to get rid, I didn't really have a large enough sample to show them, and struggled to show the issues in a photo, and couldn't show the loading issues inwas experiencing.  When I explained that,  I haven't received another reply.

1 hour ago, Nick G said:

Geoffs bios are great, no issues with them at all. Interestingly I wouldn't use anything non bio

Having just spent £180 for an inner barrel, I’ll stick to the normal ones

23 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Having just spent £180 for an inner barrel, I’ll stick to the normal ones

Yea, fuck bios. I’m not ruining my guns just so that my BBs can start to break down in 20years time, maybe, if conditions are right, for long enough. 

I might have to swap to using Geoffs. Given I run indoor CQC mostly I guess I'll just load up on the normal ones. Although the G&G ones look like a solid option in the test results?

Any recommendations for where to buy Geoff's? I'd be after 0.28's.

2 hours ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

I might have to swap to using Geoffs. Given I run indoor CQC mostly I guess I'll just load up on the normal ones. Although the G&G ones look like a solid option in the test results?

Any recommendations for where to buy Geoff's? I'd be after 0.28's.

I got mine from Outdoor and tactical using 0.28's myself work really nice

8 hours ago, Eddie The Headshot said:

Ok so the only difference between bio bb's and regular bb's is bio's breakdown, slightly, faster? Don't see what the big hooplas about?

"Slightly faster"....😲

They start to breakdown as soon as you open the bottle,any hint of moisture and they become uber sticky,My brother was unfortunate to but a box in error,he couldn't give them away,they constantly jammed his gun.

This is from experience not second-hand info

I used Geoff's Bios .32s in various guns for a while and didn't have a problem but maybe I was lucky.

Bag was opened an the BBs used over the course of 3-4 months.

I think I still have a few in a mag, so maybe I should dump them

Cheers

G

Cheers

G

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Keldon said:

I got mine from Outdoor and tactical using 0.28's myself work really nice

just recently ordered a pile of .32's and .4's from there myself, figured i'd try the good stuff get a decent base line.

only tried the .32's so far and that was with the ak in cqb , will be interesting next week to get the .4's outdoors and see what they can do.

Archived