Testing BBs

gasman
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

it might be interesting to have the shatter testing done as an impact test, if you have something with adjustable fps dial it in to the common limits (say 1j, 1.5j, 2j 2.5j or whatever) and record the shattering, it might give a better view in terms of what bb's are acceptable for a given site limits and it a bit more easily translated into airsoft parlance even if it is a little less scientific.

i'd be interested to see what laser dot's are like, it's what the local shop sells here and i've had some good results from them, only ever seen shattering when in my testing tube at point blank ranges.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my latest update of BBs Tested.

BB testing table.xls

The laser dot 0.3 BBs looked darker than the 0.20s and shattered much easier.

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, gasman said:

Here is my latest update of BBs Tested.

BB testing table.xls

The laser dot 0.3 BBs looked darker than the 0.20s and shattered much easier.

interesting, so they're not that bad with the exception of the shattering.

i did notice shattering with the .3's but only at closer ranges, we're limited to 1j here anyway so it's more the size consistency i was worried about.

• Supporters

a weight against a hard metal surface is how he's testing them apparently.

i can confirm they'll shatter at very close range against a hard target.

although going by his scoring system they seem to be equivalent to blasters in terms of shattering.

• Supporters

can't say i pay all that much attention apart from using .2's in the mg42 :D

that said, i didn't pay that much attention anyway until i came on here and had my illusions of .3's lack of range shattered. guess i wasn't taking into account how well the magnus effect lasts.

Interesting topic, the geek in me approves :)

Would be interesting to see what your test makes of 0.25 Guarder bbs. (from Taiwangun). I may have some left in a bag if you need some to test? 

1 hour ago, Arwen said:

Interesting topic, the geek in me approves :)

Would be interesting to see what your test makes of 0.25 Guarder bbs. (from Taiwangun). I may have some left in a bag if you need some to test? 

send them to me don't forget weight and date of purchase and exact manufacturer description.

Loving this, I've passed it onto a BB brand who might be interested in passing some your way. For science of course :D 

I will be posting a further update on my BB testing shortly but I found this which I found interesting it is mainly of BIO BB tests.

• Root Admin

@gasman Hygroscopic BBs (specifically from BB King and derivatives like Nuprol) were a huge problem back in 2015 and 16, but I believe the issues have been rectified. Lots of jammed barrels as the heavier weights used a lot more of this polymer that was swelling significantly after the bag of BBs was open for just a few days. The big giveaway was that they were having to use foil, vacuum-sealed bags and some even came with silica packs.

Whilst you should probably do some hygroscopy tests on the ones you have now, I dare say the results will be far more muted as this manufacturer did fix the problem after a couple of batches.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, gasman said:

I will be posting a further update on my BB testing shortly but I found this which I found interesting it is mainly of BIO BB tests.

well at least you wont have to take any snacks into the game zone.... :lol: :rolleyes:

That guy must have really good teeth

• Moderators

yeah....reckon he swapped them for crunchy M&Ms :lol:

wonder how long it will be though until we are all having to use Bio BBs.....hopefully a while or so as still 12000+ ASGs to get through

Hi all I have revisited some of the tests and adjusted them slightly to try and give a more consistent view of the BBs.

I have been surprised by some of the budget price BBs doing so well and some of the expensive ones failing to match them.

The BBs are listed as they perform in the tests and in the preference I would buy as every day shooters bearing in mind cost.

BB testing table.xlsver1.xls

scan0001.thumb.jpg.a1adddcf82c3a11e043c12332aaa72ad.jpg

Some people did not have the program to open the XLS so have done the above.

As you can see nothing touches the G&G BBs for roundness or polish.

I am going to have a lot of new BBs to test shortly & update, but have just purchased a bulk order of Proballs from Socom Tactical to use in my guns. I would buy G&G if cost was not an issue.

OK so this is the latest BB testing update.

Sorry that the BBs tested are all Proball thanks to Lewis from Socom Tactical for the samples.

The normal Proballs get darker as they increase in weight and seemingly harder to shatter.

The Proball Bio BBs are whiter for the same weight but shatter easier and into slightly smaller pieces but not as many or as small as the Nuprol BBs.

The slight out of roundness I am sure is from the sheer marks from the injection process which leaves a pin prick crater I have to use a strong magnifier glass to see.

Need other brave manufacturers to send me their BBs for testing or have you been scared off for fear of not doing well...

[individual scores = 10 is the best and 1 is the worst]

scan0001 (2).jpg

• Moderators

thanks for that :)

just curious, did you do the taste and crunch test for the Bio ones? ;)

See if i can get some excell ones, may be a while as nee to see my brother

I'm old my teeth are not that good.

I have been happy with the way the .25 Proballs performed in game so far and look forward to range target testing the others, just not enough time.

Hi I just heard that a batch of green ASG blasters was found to be very poor quality like the consistency of a polo mint only softer and off colour. Very chalky and breaking up on impact. If you have any of the blasters get some pliers and check if you have  the substandard ones, just squash with pliers and see if they turn to small broken parts or just split in two. If you have the bad ones come on here and let us know where you got them and when so we can identify the batch. BB's like these are a danger to airsofters that use wire mesh face-pro.

• 3 months later...

Hi all its been a while since I have been sent any BBs for testing so no new results to give you.

I no that some of you have read my results and purchased the BBs I had at the top of the table as when I went to purchase more they were all sold out and are on back order.

Thinks, I can see the shops putting their prices up right now, hope not.

If you have found a good brand that gives good results then let me no

I have some 0.25 valken infinity bb's that seem to be doing rather well for me, send me your address an I'll pop some in the post when I can, likely to be trying ares ameoba soon too

So what does it all mean? What should be be using when it comes to .20g bb’s? I am curious and with so many variables. What happens when the best brand or any brand make a”bad batch” of bb’s?

On 23/11/2018 at 13:56, gasman said:

Hi all its been a while since I have been sent any BBs for testing so no new results to give you.

I no that some of you have read my results and purchased the BBs I had at the top of the table as when I went to purchase more they were all sold out and are on back order.

Thinks, I can see the shops putting their prices up right now, hope not.

If you have found a good brand that gives good results then let me no

I've stuck with the Blaster Devils .36s in my Tippman set up as a DMR  at ~430 FPS. Not had any issues, didn't see any improvement using Geoffs .40s, I probably need some more work on the hop.

For the AEGs, moved to .30 Blasters once I flat hopped them.  Again no real issues, though I do find green blasters shatter when fired against a tile wall at 5 to 8m some of the time (especially the .25s), other times just splits in half or does not shatter which could indicate variable quality.

Cheers

G

2 hours ago, Dino said:

So what does it all mean? What should be be using when it comes to .20g bb’s? I am curious and with so many variables. What happens when the best brand or any brand make a”bad batch” of bb’s?

What are you using them for?

I only use .20s for CQB at the Mall and chrono.  As the Mall is now closed, not using many 😉

In the Mall I used Green Blasters, Ambush .20s and Blaster Tracers without issue.

Cheers

G

G

Archived