Testing BBs

gasman
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have done my first tests of the BBs, some I purchased and some were donated by others.I have created a table showing the results to date. the table measures roundness, polish and how the BBs shatter. Most BBs split in half and are reasonably safe some like the Nuprols have a tendency to splinter hence their table position.

The List of BBs I have tested to date, 10 is good 1 is worst.

G&G      PSBP      0.20        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.96           roundness          10          polish    10          =29

Shatters                                               9

G&G      PSBP      0.25        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.96           roundness          10           polish    10           =29

Shatters                                               9

Geoffs                  0.40        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.98           roundness          9.9          polish    9.9          =28.8

High resistance to shattering      9

Swiss Arms         0.20        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.95           roundness          9.95        polish    10           =28.45

Shatters                                               8.5

Blaster Devils     0.36        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.96           roundness          9.95        polish    9.9          =27.85

Shatters                                               8

Ambush               0.20        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.95           roundness          9.8          polish    9.8          =27.6

ASG Blaster        0.25        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.96           roundness          9.9          polish    9.9          =26.8

Shatters                                               7

6 AMMO              0.20        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.94           roundness          9.0          polish    9.5          =26.5

ASG Blaster        0.20        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.95           roundness          8.8          polish    9.8          =25.6

Specna Arms      0.25        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.98           roundness          9.0          polish    9.5          =25.5

Shatters                                               7

Specna Arms      0.20        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.97           roundness          9.0          polish    9.4          =25.4

Blaster Green    0.20        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.96           roundness          8.5          polish    8.8          =25.3

Blaster devils     0.28        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.96           roundness          9.1          polish    9.1          =25.2

Blaster Devils     0.30        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.96           roundness          9.1          polish    9.1          =25.2

Soft shot              0.25        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.96           roundness          8.8          polish    8.5          =24.3

Soft Shot             0.20        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.95           roundness          8.4          polish    8.5          =23.9

RZR BIO                                0.28        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.97           roundness          9.6          polish    9.6          =20.2

Shatters easy                                     1

Nuprol RZR         0.25        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.96           roundness          9.5          polish    9.6          =20.1

Shatters easy                                     1

Nuprol RZR         0.20        5.95 + - 0.01        actual 5.95           roundness          9.4          polish    9.6          =20.0

Shatters easy                                     1

I would like to test other makes and weights of BB to cover all the BBs available but will need people to donate them. A minimum of 10 BBs will be required with weight, manufacturer brand name and date of purchase.

Some BBs seem to vary batch to batch so this is an ongoing survey. I am at Absolute airsoft once a month or you can pm me for an address.

Feedback is welcome.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you are welcome to improve it Duff just don't lose the facts a spread sheet would be better.

the G&G s are so accurate its like a ball bearing accuracy

You could always load it into google sheets, half decent free excel

I do the mechanical bits well but at 64 I am getting to be a computer dinosaur.

By rotating BBs in polished jaws of vernier which shows even the slightest out of round. Measure in vernier. examine with magnifier and feel. Same weight impact all BBs held by tape on solid metal surface.

• Supporters

There is too many variables on impact. 

Putting in a press and dialing up in minute increments until they pop is the only full proof way. Something like an insert press that allows you to add presure at 0.1 kilo newtons at a time would give a more consistent answer.

As for using a vernier to test roundness a micrometer is more accurate if you have one. As I found even with the best digital calipers the readings were a bit to haphazard for me to trust. 

Nice that you are making the effort rather than just assuming like so many do.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, gasman said:

you are welcome to improve it Duff just don't lose the facts a spread sheet would be better.

the G&G s are so accurate its like a ball bearing accuracy

I’m sure my brother had a bag of G&G bbs a while ago and he had very little problems with them. I’ll ask him 

i refuse to buy any at the moment until I get through these ASG blasters!!  :lol:

Made it into a table in a spreadsheet, tweaked the names of some of the ones I gave you as I probably didn't label the bags well enough.

image.thumb.png.1723628017af7c55c80c70c12f3670d1.png

5 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Made it into a table in a spreadsheet, tweaked the names of some of the ones I gave you as I probably didn't label the bags well enough.

image.thumb.png.e9d42f68e5b418d36efc5abe605c0b08.png

Sorry to be that guy but the .25 G&G PSBP is listed as 6.96 actual diameter I think this is supposed to be 5.96?

No worries, drag error in spreadsheet, should have done a copy paste

No worries, but Gasman did all the hard work.

Cheers

G

And thanks to a preview of the results, I already have a bag of 0.28 G&Gs  😁

16 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

There is too many variables on impact. 

Putting in a press and dialing up in minute increments until they pop is the only full proof way. Something like an insert press that allows you to add presure at 0.1 kilo newtons at a time would give a more consistent answer.

As for using a vernier to test roundness a micrometer is more accurate if you have one. As I found even with the best digital calipers the readings were a bit to haphazard for me to trust. 

Nice that you are making the effort rather than just assuming like so many do.

I do not claim to have laboratory standard testing equipment but I cannot rotate a bb in the jaws of a micrometer, I can in a vernier. Mine is quality due to an engineering past when tools were made well. The impact test has been done to shatter the bb and I am sure even a beginner could hit BBs and see how they shatter. You could fire all the BBs through the same gun at a fixed plate and that would also give a good indication of how and if they shatter. The Geofs resisted a lot staying in one piece the RZR BBs ended up in over a dozen pieces!  You could test a hundred BBs to give a truer mean average, this is a guide to quality not a treatise.

13 minutes ago, YorkieT17 said:

Sorry to be that guy but the .25 G&G PSBP is listed as 6.96 actual diameter I think this is supposed to be 5.96?

you are correct.

My table showed it as 5.96

20 minutes ago, YorkieT17 said:

I fixed it in the orginal post.

Cheers

G

The reason I have done the testing was because I experienced such erratic FPS results when testing, also erratic feeding problems using a very picky RK74 all cured by better grade of BB.

Email me the spreadsheet and ill have it doing all sorts of fancy looking shit

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, gasman said:

I do not claim to have laboratory standard testing equipment but I cannot rotate a bb in the jaws of a micrometer, I can in a vernier. Mine is quality due to an engineering past when tools were made well. The impact test has been done to shatter the bb and I am sure even a beginner could hit BBs and see how they shatter. You could fire all the BBs through the same gun at a fixed plate and that would also give a good indication of how and if they shatter. The Geofs resisted a lot staying in one piece the RZR BBs ended up in over a dozen pieces!  You could test a hundred BBs to give a truer mean average, this is a guide to quality not a treatise.

I did my proper testing before RZRs were on the market so can't say for definite on how they perform. 

One thing I did find that out of all the ones I tested that a lot were so similar it lent itself to the fact all are only made in a few factories. RZRs according to scuttlebutt are from the same place as Madbull apparently but they are ok so maybe scuttlebutt is wrong. In my basic test shots RZRs seemed ok though.

Will put some RZR in a press and see how they go.

I was surprised that the RZR BBs fragmented as badly as they do, shoot 20 or so at a brick in a box if you doubt me or at a mesh mask same result fine sharp shards. Manufacture and polish quite accurate though.

The Geofs I should have scored slightly higher .1 or.2 maybe. I would like to get my hands on more BBs from different makes and sizes. I would like to know which factory is making the G&G BBs and to see if they maintain that high standard. Big problem is if everyone goes and buys G&G they will increase prices and be harder to get.

After we spoke about the G&Gs PSBP on Sunday I bought a bag of .28s, happy to donate to the cause.

Cheers

G

A press does apply a measurable pressure but does not simulate a shock only a drop weight will do that

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, gasman said:

A press does apply a measurable pressure but does not simulate a shock only a drop weight will do that

Very true point mate it’s impact that’s the impotant test for me too , you carefully stand on a glass bottle nothing happens , you drop the same bottle it shatters ?

edit 

Oops ! Forgot to say thanks for putting all that donkey work in to the testing , yes not ‘laboratory conditions’ but quite frankly I’d trust your findings over a retailers or a paid test ! 😉 

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, gasman said:

Yes and no the boost is fast push akin to a slam so similar but yeah not 100% the same. 

But you can say at what force a bb shatters to a reasonably precise point. 

If doing a shooting test then the gun needs to locked into position so it is always hitting exactly the same point and angle otherwise the angle it impacts can vary results.

Are you doing some tests on mesh as that would be the main one to see. Which bbs shatter small enough to go through as that is definitely the biggest issue. The mesh being a thinner edge could give completely different results to a plate and would be good to compare.

I am sure any tests you could do will just help prove my results, the more testing the more accurate. FPS has a big bearing on the fragmentation even the type of mesh size of contact and mass the variables are endless.

I will just test the same as I have done with all the BBs I can get to get a comparison on a level playing field.

Archived