Would Airsoft be bigger in the UK without ukara?

STORMZOMBIES
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A) Why would it stop you from playing for "many years"? It's 8 weeks to play a few games. Hardly a lifetime.

B) There would be no airsoft without UKARA. Too many idiots would have got their hands on guns and the sport would have been shut down ages ago.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

A) Why would it stop you from playing for "many years"? It's 8 weeks to play a few games. Hardly a lifetime.

B) There would be no airsoft without UKARA. Too many idiots would have got their hands on guns and the sport would have been shut down ages ago.

Because of age I didn’t want a coloured gun 

2 minutes ago, STORMZOMBIES said:

Because of age I didn’t want a coloured gun 

Well then that's got nothing to do with UKARA.

8 minutes ago, STORMZOMBIES said:

Yes it does 😂😂 you have to have ukara to get a Black RIF for the most part 

...what on earth are you on about?

That's like saying "I wasn't allowed in strip clubs, so I had to wait ages until I could drive a car."

image.thumb.png.95949e165a05d147bfb3f8f92cd7f0b0.png

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

...what on earth are you on about?

That's like saying "I wasn't allowed in strip clubs, so I had to wait ages until I could drive a car."

image.thumb.png.95949e165a05d147bfb3f8f92cd7f0b0.png

You have to be over 18 to buy a black RIF in addition to having a valid defence.

Just now, Lozart said:

You have to be over 18 to buy a black RIF in addition to having a valid defence.

But that's not UKARA's choosing, that's the law (VCRA). I think that's what @AshOnSnow was indicating. 🤣

1 minute ago, Lozart said:

Thank you some people just don’t want coloured guns I’m not saying ukara is a bad thing at all it’s literslly a question on what others think about this topic personally I think ukara is bad but as I have seen many people explain what good it does aswell

1 minute ago, Gtech said:

But that's not UKARA's choosing, that's the law (VCRA). I think that's what @AshOnSnow was indicating. 🤣

But a lot of new players really won’t see the difference and will automatic link them  some thing I think a lot of experienced players forget 

4 minutes ago, STORMZOMBIES said:

Thank you some people just don’t want coloured guns I’m not saying ukara is a bad thing at all it’s literslly a question on what others think about this topic personally I think ukara is bad but as I have seen many people explain what good it does aswell

But a lot of new players really won’t see the difference and will automatic link them  some thing I think a lot of experienced players forget 

Oh I get that. UKARA haven't exactly tried to un-muddy the waters on that front. Heck, I've seen the top 3 retailers saying 'UKARA Licence' all over social media.

VCRA was the law behind the limitations.

UKARA is the tool to help retailers, comply by the limitations. They don't have a lot of choice, but they did consult to ensure airsoft wasn't entirely banned/restricted.

It's important to state that it wasn't just UKARA though. You had plenty of others in the room, lobbying and working hard to try and get us the best deal possible - we also had the ABA, UKASGB and UKAPU. If you read through the VCRA only one of them got mentioned in the circular/law, and it wasn't UKARA. If you've not played since the late 2000s, the UKARA now is a shadow of it's former self from 2006-2008.

Finally, UKARA isn't the only option - but it's the best known option. At least for now...

1 minute ago, Gtech said:

Oh I get that. UKARA haven't exactly tried to un-muddy the waters on that front. Heck, I've seen the top 3 retailers saying 'UKARA Licence' all over social media.

VCRA was the law behind the limitations.

UKARA is the tool to help retailers, comply by the limitations. They don't have a lot of choice, but they did consult to ensure airsoft was entirely banned/restricted.

It wasn't just UKARA though, you had plenty of others in the room, lobbying and working hard to try and get us the best deal possible.

Finally, UKARA isn't the only option - but it's the best known option. At least for now...

I think was the biggest issue iv seen is the laws seriously seriosuly needs to be reworked badly as I get that Airsoft are RIF so they look the same but it seriously needs to be separate and have more clear guidelines etc

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Gtech said:

I'm speaking in broad terms and trying to avoid the whole "but UKARA isn't the only defence" bullshit.

And the OPs whole point was that he had to wait for a black RIF because of his age which then caused the entire misunderstanding.

• Supporters
Just now, EDcase said:

Yeah UKARA isn't perfect but it works and airsoft with RIF's wouldn't exist without it...

indeed, it's still a better option than everyone being forced to run 2 tone, or worse that it'd mean *shudders* we'd all have to play paintball.....

• Supporters
1 minute ago, STORMZOMBIES said:

I think was the biggest issue iv seen is the laws seriously seriosuly needs to be reworked badly as I get that Airsoft are RIF so they look the same but it seriously needs to be separate and have more clear guidelines etc

What isn't clear? Over 18 with a defence or no black gun. Simple.

Just now, STORMZOMBIES said:

It's never going to happen, any rework of the law will only affect us in a more negative manner. The only time this will be revisited is if they want to clamp down further and show the public more fear about guns.

I actually don't see any problems with the law at a high level. You have to be over 18, and a regular player of a skirmish site. 

The problem is the grey areas which we try to scuttle around while still convincing ourselves that we're a self-policing industry.

3 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Yeah UKARA isn't perfect but it works and airsoft with RIF's wouldn't exist without it...

I wouldn't say RIFs wouldn't exist without it. There are plenty of retailers who don't pay the subscription and still check the defence, it just requires a little more work.

UKARA wasn't the only one fighting for us, and they sure didn't pick the entire bill for the lawyers and consultations.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Gtech said:

I actually don't see any problems with the law at a high level. You have to be over 18, and a regular player of a skirmish site. 

indeed, just remember it could always be worse, like all airsoft guns limited to 1 joule....

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

indeed, just remember it could always be worse, like all airsoft guns limited to 1 joule....

Amazing what careful hop design can do with 1 Joule ;) 

At least we don't have to have orange tips...

The law regarding RIF's certainly isn't going to be relaxed in the future so things can only get worse...

Any miss-use will get negative attention and add another nail in the coffin of airsoft as we know it.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Amazing what careful hop design can do with 1 Joule ;) 

indeed, but it kinda screws up being a sniper when muggins here can dish it straight back with his sig :P

you don't need UKARA to buy a RIF just proof of defense and building a RIF from parts will probably cost double buying a complete RIF

46 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

But you do still need a VCRA defence as assembly is covered by “manufacture”

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/part/2/crossheading/imitation-firearms

How so? When was the last time a police officer raided someones house because he built a rif because he like fake guns and call of duty... YOU DONT NEED UKARA FOR A DEFENCE lol UKARA lets shops know you have a DEFENCE easy peasy like. If you skirmish and have 3 photos that can prove that or receipts your a skirmisher. PLUS if you occasionally work on videos you have a another defence of use for media content. The police have got legitimate criminals to deal with rather than Dave down the road who watches too much Spec Ops TV Shows and spends his nights reading up on AEG Gearboxes lol F**k all this bulls**t we need better parents and a better culture where kids arent allowed or dont want to be idiots with toy guns and then we dont need to baby sit idiots with laws.

4 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

Buying a RIF isn't illegal... 😛

#troll

Was this thread started by someone that only viewed UKARA through a UKARA shaped lens?

Yeah lol i forgot its just illegal to sell not to buy without a defence UKARA is just the check for the defence made easy so either way its all good

Archived