What do you consider 2nd hand

Robert James
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

What do you consider 2nd hand? (Airsoft guns)  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What do you consider 2nd hand?

• The moment you open the box
    • The moment you skirmish
    • The moment you pull the trigger

Hopefully in the correct forum?

My mate recently was offered a "brand new" gun, which had only just been delivered to this guy's house and had never been skirmished, but he had pulled the trigger etc to make sure everything worked.

My friend thinks that means it's second hand, I think that constitutes as brand new... Thoughts?

guess its how you look at it ,  from your point of view , buying it new then its new and it only gets older from that point , the moment you sell it tho , then from the buyers perspective its 2nd hand , 1 day old or 5 days old or a year old ,its still 2nd hand , thats literally what 2nd hand means . its been passed to 2nd person since being brought from new ,

For me it's as soon as the box is open, person A may say they've only pulled the trigger once but for all you know he's replaced all the internals etc. If the box is sealed then you know it's untouched.

• Head Moderator

Read this from the other day:

• Head Moderator
12 minutes ago, Robert James said:

My friend thinks that means it's second hand, I think that constitutes as brand new... Thoughts?

It is a new unused gun but is second hand because you are not buying it new directly from a retailer.  Any sale in the Classifieds here is second hand (unless it it is 3D printed/made by the seller).

The level of newness is personal judgement, unboxed and battery tested with a few BBs could be acceptable but not if 100s fired in the back garden.

For me it really depends on who I am buying it from. 

Complete strange = second had unless it is in an original sealed box/receipt. 

Person I know reasonably well or trust - If they say it's not been skirmished then fair enough, but I still woundn't pay new price for it.

So If you consider new as in never been taken out of the box or fired then some weapons that you buy from a retailer could be classed as used/2nd hand as they chrono / test fire all guns before leaving the premises to ensure that they preform as should.

Also if you were to buy a new gun from a reputable retailer and have it up/down graded would you consider that 2nd hand or still new as they have opened the gearbox. 

Just food for thought. 

I however consider anything advertised here as used as I don't know the history nor do I know the individual personally. 

I consider it second hand the moment you cant get it sent back under warranty which i believe is hard to do without original proof of purchase.

• Supporters

its a tricky one, unless it's been skirmished it's likely (but by no means certain) that it hasn't seen much use/abuse.

thing is, external appearance=/= performance

take my m4, when i got it it was plainly a gun that had been upgraded by someone who wanted a good performer, then ran into the ground by god knows how many owners, it was shocking on the inside. the wiring was a borderline dangerous patchwork of people who's soldering skills ranged from merely bad to "**** it twisted together with a bit of tape is fine", the gearbox internals were shot, bearings on the verge of exploding, gears worn down, the whole thing was a mess.

but now, despite looking pretty much the same externally to a casual observer it's had a whole new box, etu with complete re-wiring, new motor, new hop unit, new barrel and a lot of finnicky tech work to get it just so (well, apart from the ludicrous fire rate that means i don't wanna risk full auto but that was a side effect of going for crazy good trigger response in semi) and it's a completely different gun to shoot.

generally my rule is i won't buy something secondhand unless i can shoot it first, which pretty much limits me to in-person sales. only thing i've bought online secondhand was an nv scope on here, but that was mainly for price and knowing it's a simple immediate test to determine if it was working as described or not.

that said, this hobby is a bit like rc, signing for the package instantly knocks the price down.

if you are not buying directly from a retailer with the protections that entails it's 2nd hand and worth 2nd hand prices.

Some different opinions on it all though, general consensus is - Depends on the the persons outlook on 2nd hand.. But the poll is quite interesting (results thus far)

HA..

Had the same chat with another trainer collector the other day. 

So many acronyms and versions of quality/hand definitions its bloody hard to work out how 'new' something is!!

We couldnt get our heads around the trainer world either so Airsoft is going to be the same...

Classic car nuts use NOS (New Old Stock) to denote not new but never used.

Personally, unless it’s  directly from a retailer, it’s not new. It can be like new, or unmarked or immaculate, never fired etc etc but NOT.

So none of the above definitions, sorry OP

• Supporters

From the retailer to the first owner then me , packaging seal unbroken and appropriate receipts AND within a short time frame (not 8yrs)of original purchase  , then it’s as new and would expect a small discount on price as long as the warranty is transferable if it’s not then it’s just mint condition second hand and would expect a reasonable discount on the price .

As above but seal is broken ? then it’s mint condition second hand (Immaterial of any paperwork for down grading by retailer) and again would expect a reasonable discount to the price . 

No packaging but looking in as new and un-skirmished condition ? Then it’s a standard second hand and would expect minimum of a 1/3 off the price .

Once it's being sold for the second time I would class it as second hand. If unopened box with proof of purchase it could be sold as new. Anything else is just plain second hand for me. 

• Supporters

To me if it's not bought new from a retailer its second hand. Not everyone is as honest as you'd like and I'd imagine a lot of sales adverts that say 'used just a few times' are stretching the truth at best

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, M_P said:

Not everyone is as honest as you'd like and I'd imagine a lot of sales adverts that say 'used just a few times' are stretching the truth at best

Very politely put mate , me personally I’d be more inclined to call them lying scamming barsteward’s my self ? But then that’s just me ! 😉

• Supporters

Me too for:

If I can assert statutory consumer rights or an explicit warranty against a business seller = new

Business sellers open, test, and chrono guns, but they're still "new" for that purpose. Heck, they're splitting the gearboxes and changing the springs in some cases.

Any other situation = not new.

Personally I'd assume that any toy gun bought remotely from a private seller without a strong and verifiable reputation is likely to be fit for spares or repair, and would value it appropriately regardless of any "as new" blurb.

12 hours ago, Robert James said:

I should have added The moment it leaves the store, but didnt think about it

That gets my vote 

I saw something in HPA  section recently which read as new with bottle that came with it out of test so whats that 6 years old.

None of those options. 

IMO:

Brand new is from a retailer,  that can provide returns, warranty etc.. protection via trading standards etcetc

Second hand is from a private seller, something might be as-new, un-used, etc but you can't provide any of the above, to me that's a huge bearing on the price I'd be prepared to pay (for something available from a retailer), the clue is in the name... surely..?!

mat 

Archived