Outdoor vs Indoor site's - What makes or breaks a site

Tempo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Good afternoon all,

Interested in people's opinions when it comes to Outdoor and Indoor site's.

What makes or break's an Outdoor site?

What makes or Break an Indoor site? 

Thank you for your time.

• Head Moderator

Toilets.

indoor it the choke point that can really put the brakes on the game. 

outdoor lack of proper maintenance mainly the foliage side of things. 

3 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

indoor it the choke point that can really put the brakes on the game. 

outdoor lack of proper maintenance mainly the foliage side of things. 

Can you elaborate on the choke point point please? Interested by this haha.

the indoor site I play at is based in an old mill so certain point such entrances to floors have only one way in so all the opposing teams gun are all pointed in one direction so they just light up any poor sod who tries to go through resulting in the game basically grinding to a standstill, resulting temper flaring and people cheating just to get the game to progress.   

• Supporters

also one-sided games, like defenders on only 1 life per zone, takes a LOT of the competitive element out of the game meaning it doesn't feel bad to lose and that the game's constantly moving, means you're more concerned about putting up a good fight than resorting to underhand tactics to get the edge to get things going when it stalls.

nothing worse than a fixed respawn, unlimited lives slogfest

3 minutes ago, Tempo said:

Ah i get you Sniper, important to keep the game flowing!

Yeah i agree Adolf, game modes can be essential.

It not only that but some people get very angry start screaming orders of how to proceed which just results in them standing right at the back and sending everyone before them ( mainly gun hires I have seen) and then when that does not work they just stop playing resulting in a big imbalance on one team. 

16 minutes ago, Tempo said:

Can you elaborate on the choke point point please? Interested by this haha.

in CQB a chock point is when people are too scared to get shot. i have charged a room got shot and respawned multiple times while other players not moving. Only way to play in CQB is to get stuck in.  

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Tempo said:

Ah i get you Sniper, important to keep the game flowing!

Yeah i agree Adolf, game modes can be essential.

perfect example is there's a site near me, massive outdoor site, wonderful land loads of sneaky lanes in and around the heather. perfect ground.

but, the games are all unlimited lives slogfests and it's not abnormal to find the spawn crowded with knackered players who've been pinged from a bush 3 times in a row and have had to walk a mile back to spawn each time, combine that with a VERY conscientious  attitude to chrono'ing guns, putting .2's in your mag and checking unless you're one of the owners mates in which case 328 is fine and he won't ask what ammo your using (hint, it's .4's, they're very vocal about it)

great way to ruin a site.

Just now, BigStew said:

in CQB a chock point is when people are too scared to get shot. i have charged a room got shot and respawned multiple times while other players not moving. Only way to play in CQB is to get stuck in.  

Agree with this! Even on outdoor sites, the amount of people who are too scared to advance due to the fear of getting shot is ridiculous haha!

• Supporters
1 minute ago, BigStew said:

this is why we have grenades :P

Outdoor sites aside from the staff points already mentioned layout is more important than a lot of sites seem to think. It's good to have open areas to fight in but it's also important to have landmarks, areas to fight in and the goal of objective based games. It gives a much more tangible goal than just a flag or barrel. Buildings arranged to encourage building to building fighting and ways to flank around emplacements. So many sites are just clearing filled with random barrels and odd bits of cover. The game modes have to make the most of the terrain and move the game across the field as it progresses. Have different, smaller games focussing on different areas of the field.

5 minutes ago, Tempo said:

Good points. Lots said about outdoor sites. What do you guys think of Indoor sites?

The site population needs to be appropriate to the size of size of the site. So many sites are focused just on getting as many people in to boast about numbers and get that much more money. Trouble is that when that happens you get people tripping over each other and it quickly becomes a deadlock and peyote quickly get bored. There's no point having flanking routes if they all have 20 people trying to push in each direction.

• Supporters

The people that run the site and that you pay good money to play at must be friendly/approachable/observant and most important of all IMPARTIAL .

outdoor site ; as others have said a varied AND well maintained site , overgrowth is good but if it’s so thick or the wrong type (brambles/nettles) that you can’t get in it or through it then it’s pointless .

Open area with baracades/buildings or defensive positions/some woodland/a covered properly serviced safezone/good parking .

indoor site ; a properly serviced safezone/off road parking/marshals that can actually control the gamezone due to the nature of CQB (lots of areas with limited visibility)/thought put in to the site to try and avoid choke points and any areas that can creat a stalemate in the game . 

There are many things that make or break a site

Theres the people - the staff, the regulars, the occasionals.  A bad egg in any of those will leave a bad taste in the mouth

There is the site itself:

Non game zone - is there enough space for people, what are the facilities? Can AEG players recharge in the staging, can HPA players get fills, can you get edible food, can you go to the toilet without catching a tropical disease, can you drive in & out without destroying your car and chipping your paint, does the shop have everything you need to keep playing when you’ve forgotten something ....?

The game zone - is it fun to play, is it unique, does it make use of local features, does it keep changing / adding new elements to keep the interest of returning players?

Do the games vary?

Have game zones been designed with both sides in mind?  e.g. a base has to be designed to be both attacked and defended.  Unlike a real life base being defended - you barricade yourself in with the ability to drop back and move around, and draw attackers to points you can defend well

A good building design allows defenders to move around or embed themselves, but also has multiple entrances for attackers to work around.  A defender should be able to embed themselves and fend off attackers in front  - but also still have the risk of being shot in the back from the other side

Special indoor venues may not lend themselves well to game flow.  But it depends on what it i and what the buildings future is.  Often good indoor venues are inbetween uses - such as a closed down building subject to future development - can the game organiser who has taken over inbetween modify the building - knock holes into walls etc or do they have to preserve it meaning it is unique but can’t stop dead ends, you soon lose the novelty factor when you are at the back of a queue behind a choke point 

For outdoor and woodland owner needs to keep up with the undergrowth. Sure let some areas go wild but controlled. Decent buildings that are safe interesting to play around.

For indoors the best example I can think of is the Mall. They change it up by closing and opening doors to change the choke points. You can always find a long way around. Varied games are essential for indoor.

Fair players is the most important otherwise it's a shit show.

Archived