Taking apart/rebuilding the front of an L86

Hubert
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Right guys, question for any owners of the ICS L86.

My L86 has recently returned from an overhaul. Everything is fine and fully functional apart from one thing - the handguard isn't closing properly, and it isn't in the same place as it used to be. Orrigionally, it was almost flush to the reciever, and it covered the little olive-drab plasticy bit that is screwed into the reciever and the barrel runs through.

Now its about 3-6mm forwards (meaning I can see the fake gas parts and spring through the gap), it doesn't close fully sideways (it does but there a gap between the handguard parts and the plastic-screw on bit). I can supply photos if needed.

Now, this isn't exactly effecting performance (infact, it isn't), but being a pedantic and OCD type of person, I'd like to fix this.

My question is, does/can the mounting bracket for the handguard (the bit on the barrel/gas block) move forwards/backwards, and result in this?

When I've previously opened up the L86 (and taken the barrel out) this problem hasn't happened. Obviously, this has me pretty stumped.

Cheers.

get a big hammer. that's what most squaddies would do

If they had the real thing. As I'm not a squaddie, and my LSW isn't the real deal, I think I'll pass on the hammer...

Thats the thing, I have taken the upper and lower reciever appart to check the internal position, and I've also unscrewed the plastic parts (the two halves) of the handguard, and I can't at all work out how its possible to get them into the position they're currently in.

I've got a four day weekend ahead of me, so I may just take the external barrel off, and see if I can get it back into place.

Hey Hubert,

I just looked at my L86 and your right my hand guard sits flush with the upper receiver, I've taken the gun apart to see where you could have a problem, but I can't tell unless I see your gun.

Do you mind getting some pic's up and I can compare and let you know :)?

Oh yeah, geofreym, I spoke too soon. The hammer did help. One of the body pins was stuck (I mixed up silicon oil and grease, and got the thing stuck....)

The upper and lower reciever are in the correct place, so I'm assuming its not an internal (reciever) problem.

These are the only pics I can get up at the moment, hopefully they should be of use (they show what it currently looks like)

If you need any other pics, just say and I'll try and get some.

post-602-1304102193_thumb.jpg

post-602-1304102216_thumb.jpg

post-602-1304102244_thumb.jpg

post-602-1304102361_thumb.jpg

looking at mine, on the battery case the top half does sit a little forward. I think your hand guard is twisted.

How do you mean twisted?

Does this mean I'm probably going to have to buy a new handguard set from Fire Support?

Archived