life 9.9v batteries?

mimozine
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi, was wondering if anyone on here has experience of using li-fe 9.9volt batteries in their airsoft guns? i got told they more stable than lipo batteries but no idea if that is correct? also 9.9v seems a good mid point between the 7.2v or 11.1v batteries most people use. i have a few guns i use 9.6 volt nicads in and thought might be good to use in them.

any thoughts?

I've used them before and they seem pretty good, as you said they're a good middle ground between 7.4 and 11.1v lipos. You should use them in conjunction with a mosfet obviously.

The main difference seems to be that if they're damaged they don't explode, just release a harmless gas (from what I've read anyway). You should still take care of them as you would lipo batteries.

Also they may be a little bit more expensive than lipos and won't be available in as many sizes.

How do they rate compared to other types in terms of output and performance?

NiMH>Lipo>LiFe

• Supporters

it's pretty much as you describe, it's a nice middle ground and they're definately good performers, i did run one for a while but i stick to lipo now as i have all the proper charging equipment for those.

I used them in my ICS l85 and cxp ape. But not in my mars sbr.

Never had any issues with them and find they last about as long as any other battery. Performance wise they are on par with a 7.4 lipo, without all the added risks,

The only downside i have found is that the new MARS 3S system identifies them as a low voltage 11.1 lipo and refuses to cycle the rifle on them as it is trying to protect the gun. I dont know if this would affect any other mosfet/etu platforms out there.

• Supporters

To each their own

needs different settings 3.3v cells charge to 3.8v max

NOT like LiPo cells at 3.7v charge to max 4.2v ffs don't charge on LiPo settings

some B3 chargers have a LiPo & a seperate switch/port for LiFe batteries

iMax B6 you have to edit the settings - edit the LiPo settings is how I did it

bit of messing about changing stuff but no biggy

Performance wise yes they do offer a bit more zest between in stock guns

but found no real difference on a decent 25c 7.4v in a tweaked gun ???

Just my findings when I did a couple of tests switching to 9.9v 13:1 neodym - little difference

(maybe imho LiFe's lack the real true raw grunt and WALLOP a decent LiPo can deliver on demand)

test ya gun rps on 7.4v

multiply by say 55% - it is a bit more than 50% coz gun is already cycling so extra cell is boosting running gun

eg:

7.4v = 13rps

so expect about 13 x 1.55 = 20.15 rps

as long as you don't go much beyond this you should be OK

however some guns with snappy motors 30k Krytac, 25k G&G Ifrit

you could be getting 16rps or so on 7.4v

in this instance 11.1v "could" approach double firing on semi and perhaps fresh 11.1v = 12.6v PME

(16 x 1.55 = 24.8 rps)

So "perhaps" in certain instances a LiFe could fit the bill to get you to about 20rps steady snappy gun

However they are not as cheap as LiPo and limited range/options

plus 3 cells will always take up a bit more room than 2 cell 7.4v

so factor all this crap in as well

tweaked guns - well I wasn't impressed or noticed any real difference (honest)

well certainly nothing like I expected is what I found

but yeah drop in a stock G&G and you got a bit more zest for sure

think that is my take on them

• Supporters

I’ve been running (as have several team mates) 9.9’s exclusively for near 2yrs now in all my guns . I’ve got standard TM’s/TM recoils/CYMA/AGM/king arms/Classic army/Jing Gong/A&K/AND a few others I can’t remember ! and not a problem with any of them . As others have said it’s a nice medium between 7&11 . I don’t have a mosfet in any either , I don’t see the big “ooh aah !” With them , yes i know ‘it’s supposedly faster trigger response and protects your gun and blah blah !’ I’m more of a believer in don’t act like a dick and your gun’ll be fine (not been proved wrong yet) and last time I opened a gun up the contacts looked ok too .

Herr Hamster if you’ve got a balance charger then you can charge LiFe as well , you just go in to the settings and choose LiFe 3.3v and job done !👍

Edit

Just read the ducks post AND he’s spot on , all my guns are stock not a ‘tweeked’ amongst them , I ’ve also got a couple of G&Gs and yes there better on the LiFe bar my AFV , apart from initially not finding one to fit it , it was still sluggish as hell and I do have to run it on an 11v to get decent rate of fire out of it .  

5 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Herr Hamster if you’ve got a balance charger then you can charge LiFe as well , you just go in to the settings and choose LiFe 3.3v and job done

i got a balance charger, but it got no settings on it, does say it can charge li-fe though. it must auto detect battery settings?

• Supporters

My charger doesnt do seperate voltage adjustments sadly, tis a bit old school, i'll get around to replacing it when it dies, although it has been a long time lol.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, mimozine said:

i got a balance charger, but it got no settings on it, does say it can charge li-fe though. it must auto detect battery settings?

Would appear so if it says it can , if I was you I’d just google the shit out of it to see what I can find out ?👍

Archived