Best airsoft guns for amputee

gibbon23
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I'd stick to something with plastic externals due to the lighter weight- will make it easier to use for extended periods without being able to support the front end.

Hard to say as obviously guns are generally made to be used by both hands, something plastic and the shorter the better will be the way to go

What's your budget and where are you based? Honestly I think the best thing for you to do will be to get down your nearest airsoft retailer and try holding a few different models and stuff. You'll be much better suited to seeing what you personally will be comfortable using than we will on here

Hmmm, my obvious thought would be something with a high capactiy magazine, possibly a drum mag to save you having to reload at all. I would aim for the SMG platform or M4 platform (as you can build practically anything to suit out of them) and I think something that doesn't require it to be shouldered would suit your needs.

As M_P says go to a store and have a hold of a few different RIFs.

Pistols are very viable, especially in CQB but there are plenty out there that have the range for woodland too.

A Skorpion with a Drum mag can be used one handed.  Might fit the bill.

Or any other light SMG.

But as others have said try a few to see what you like, and are able to not only shoot but potentially reload in the field.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

Depends on your limitations. 

Reloading one handed would be awkward but not impossible so it is a case of what is worse reloading or weight.

Do you use a prosthetic than can be used for weight support. 

If you really wanted I would be willing to take on a project to make a mag holder for pistol mags to aid one handed reloading. 

If you were to get an M4 with a super short barrel you could run it with an autowinding drum mag or one of those electric double mags and either one of those arm brace stocks that are popular for "pistols" in the states or just a simple 2 point sling that takes most pf the weight of the gun. Like other people have said something with a plastic receiver would be best

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

If you were to get an M4 with a super short barrel you could run it with an autowinding drum mag or one of those electric double mags and either one of those arm brace stocks that are popular for "pistols" in the states or just a simple 2 point sling that takes most pf the weight of the gun. Like other people have said something with a plastic receiver would be best

Yeah something like the ICS Cxp pistol would work well with a brace.

Problem is that any largish gun even if plastic would get a heavy after a while with the added weight of a drum mag.

Maybe a brace with a harness sling combined would be best bet. 

Again to the op I would be interested in helping to build and design something to help as it something that could be of benefit to a lot of people.

Okay, question one. are you above the elbow or under it. as ive seen under elbow guys still manage to handle a weapon pretty well but using a quick detach system on their amputated arm to allow it to hold the gun while doing a reload.

id say a nice little smg style AEG would be a good should for you. make sure to use a single point sling around you so that you can use the sling to somewhat help keep the gun steady. 

My dad has Hemiparesis so im going by how Id see him hold things steady so might help you.

Drum mag is a silly idea as it a high cap mag. 

Honestly a MP7 with med caps and you'll do fine. they can still shoot a good range and the stock means you can handle the wapon reasonably well one handed with it rammed into your shoulder.

If you have a stump to work with then for reloading you can flip the gun upside down and clamp it with your stump to allow you to pull one mag out and reload. its a fairly light gun and it can still shoot to a good distance. I think the med caps you get for them are 100 rounds so a few of those and a bit of practice and i think you will be fine. 

• Supporters

Lots of good suggestions here, good to see players so keen to help fellow players overcome challenges.

My tuppence worth, yep go for an smg or maybe a lightweight well balanced rifle that could be used with a well set up sling system, only you know what your capabilities are with the affected limb, supporting forestock etc, but mag changes will always be a pain in the arse, my solution would be a custom locap fed via a tube from a powered box, recommend m60, mag worn on a rig or maybe worn like a small satchel via a shoulder strap, with maybe a power switch located somewhere that can be easily activated.

Sounds complicated but its not really, made something similar years ago, sourcing the parts takes longest.

Good luck & a big welcome to the sport.

Mark

• Supporters

I'd say something like a firehawk, light and easy used.

Sheriff is right about drums unless its something like an electric drum that wont need wound.

I wouldnt worry about barrel length as you can get 99% of results with a short barrel (if you dont believe me just ask anyone who's felt the wrath of my sig/makarov)

Alternately you could go the opposite route and go for a sniper/dmr, sure you'll struggle to fire it on the move but if you set up camp with a bipod then you can still make good kills. Plus less ammo usage so mag capacity is less relevant. I'm sure the site owners wont mind accomodating you switching teams so you can stay defending rather than having to attack with that strategy.

The more weight you can remove from the front of the gun the better. If you're not interested in looks you can take the rail of and just leave the barrel nut, take off any fake gas system parts. With a plastic receiver and battery in the stock the only noticeable weight at the front is the magazine and gearbox. An even better idea could be rocketdogbert's remote line mag like in his vector so all the weight of feeding mechanisms and ammo is all on your back.

• Supporters

I actually believe your best bet would be having a work with our resident genius @rocketdogbert and asking him to help you with a remote mag for a pistol..

You could use any pistol you want, so plenty of choice(pick what you like), then get the mag Tapped and the Bowden cable fitted, line down to your belt with remote 2500 magazine, Little HPA bottle kept in a backpack/dump pouch.

That would make you as competitive and versatile as anyone else on the field, and would mean you can play exactly as you like.

Hardest part will be reloads with any gun.

I've had a little think about this problem and I think I have a solution that might work.

Plate carrier with a pair of hooks at the front running across the chest.

Picatinny loop mounts on the rail. I reckon you would need 4. 2 pointing one side, and 2 pointing the other. Spaced perfectly both sides to fit the chest hooks.
picatinny-rail-low-profile-rail-sling-at

With that you can lock the gun rail to your chest so you can do the mag change without needing to put the gun on the floor. The pistol grip and magwell should be pointing directly out of the chest giving you 100% access to the buttons. It might even let you do battery changes with some practice. And you have the option to flip the gun over and use the other 2 loops for hop adjustment.

The only issue I can see with  it is you would be limited on scopes. Basically you wouldn't be able to use one. A high MP5 rail mount would still let you use the iron sights. and the hooks would need long tails down towards your belly through the molle to stop the hooks twisting out.
article_1751g.jpg

For the gun MP5 might be a good base gun. It's compact, lightweight, Has drum mags available and is a 1 hand reload using the paddle release. And a lot also have ambi selectors.

You couldn't rebuild a split AUG with one hand. You have to push against a spring whilst pushing a pin in from the side. And It needs 2 hands to do  it without causing damage to the airseal nozzle. AUG's have an issue with BB's getting into the body and need splitting every now and again to remove stray BB's. So been able to split them and put it back together is part of running one.

Also the mag change been at the back of the gun causes weight distribution problems one handed. I'm not saying it would be impossible but it would take a fair bit of working out. The MP5/SMG route would be a better route to take, Most have pistol mags or flappy paddles on the magwell.

The MP7 has a good mag release as well but I don't thing it's as good as the MP5's.

MP7 you pull down a button with the thumb, and the pistol mag drops out. But you can't grab the mag and operate the button, so you would need gravity to assist with the mag drop.

MP5 you push the flappy paddle towards the mag, and can grip the mag and operate the button with the thumb. It'll work one handed and without gravity. It should also work from a hooked mount or hanging from a sling.

Arp 9 on a two point sling, with a drum mag. For mag winding, let it drop in front of you and use your good arm to rotate the wheel. The drum mag is a doddle to wind on quickly.
I had limited use of my left arm earlier in the year after an accident and found this worked well for me.
If you want a side arm too, use a Glock with extended mag.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

Arp 9 on a two point sling, with a drum mag. For mag winding, let it drop in front of you and use your good arm to rotate the wheel. The drum mag is a doddle to wind on quickly.
I had limited use of my left arm earlier in the year after an accident and found this worked well for me.
If you want a side arm too, use a Glock with extended mag.

I’d say go with this genius ! A very very good friend/team mate has decreased use of basically everything due to ill health and he absolutely swears by his 9 with the drum mag , he can keep going (at a more gentlemanly pace of course) for basically the whole day with it , if he uses any of his other substantial collection of guns he’s frequently needing rests to recouperate from the exertions of the game . 

Lots of great ideas being suggested here, I love that airsofters are so keen to help each other out. I would agree with the comments about an MP5, light weight and short enough to use one handed and the mag release is a bonus. To the OP try and get to a retailer if you can and handle some guns to see what is comfortable and works for you. Failing that get along to a local airsoft game day, I am sure that if you contact them in advance they could arrange to have some for you to try .

• Supporters

Gonna just throw this one out there, dunno how the op would feel about it, what about some kinda futuristic custom that mounts on a fitting on the amputated limb (if possible ?), we've all seen it done in a number of films, what about an airsoft version ?.

@gibbon23, if you don't mind me asking, was the amputation on your dominant arm ?, & is it an above or below the elbow ?.

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Gonna just throw this one out there, dunno how the op would feel about it, what about some kinda futuristic custom that mounts on a fitting on the amputated limb (if possible ?), we've all seen it done in a number of films, what about an airsoft version ?.

@gibbon23, if you don't mind me asking, was the amputation on your dominant arm ?, & is it an above or below the elbow ?.

There’s a lad at my home site who lost his arm just above the elbow and he uses a prosthetic that has a hook on a swivel attached to the end of the cup , in use he has a single point sling on the stock and a magpul type ris D ring (as iceni said)  mounted to the side rail so it’s vertical , to shoot he ‘hooks in to the D’ and away to go ! Due to this layout he uses mids as he has no probs at all reloading .

Will tell you now mate if your happy to give a bit more detail as Tackle asked then I can guarantee 100% we WILL all find you a way to go scurmishing !👍

• Supporters
On 20/07/2018 at 17:44, M_P said:

What's your budget and where are you based?

Still needs answered.  Custom remote fed pistol rigs sound great, but I assume OP is going to want to give airsoft a try first.

+1 for MP5 being a decent platform as one-handed mag swapping is viable.  Run it on a short sling, drop it, hand on mag, thumb on release, dump in pouch and slap a new one in, snicker snack.

I'll note that my dirt cheap Galaxy MP5K is surprisingly usable even in woodland, and ace in CQB.

Something like this on a single point sling for reloads would be ideal.

Archived